1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is worse than 2005

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by msn, Nov 25, 2013.

1. msn

msn Member

2005. The previous three years had seen a steady increase in quality and performance. Even David Carr was looking like he may become a serviceable NFL quarterback by the close of the 2004 season, which was one headscratching loss to the Raiders away from .500. They were there mostly because of a decent (not great) defense, and entered 2005 with a stagnant, limp offense.

So what did Capers/Casserly do after 2004? Inexplicably blew up the only (sort of) strength on the team, dedicated most of the 2005 draft (IIRC) to the defense, including an awful trade, and did nothing to address an awful offense. The result: 2-14.

But this is worse than that. That 2005 team had Andre Johnson and 54 pieces of crap. This team has good players, and some *great* players. They have a coach who's been among the elite offensive minds in the game at times, and a DC with an even better defensive track record.

What the hell?

Based on personnel and talent alone, this is far harder to stomach than 2005. I can't wait for it to be over.

2. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

I completely disagree.

Short of going to the Super Bowl this is the best thing that could have happened to the Texans. Not only are we going to get great picks in the draft - next season we will get to play the **** teams like the Jets and Raiders. We could easily bounce back and go 11-5 next season.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[nitpick]It was the Browns they lost to in Week 17 that had them finish 7-9 and started the slide. They actually beat the Raiders that season 30-17 in Week 4.[/nitpick]

As has been discussed before, the schedule thing is way overblown. They'll replace a whopping 2 1st place teams for 2 last place teams. That's it. Yeah, that could make a difference, but who's to say that the Raiders and Jets won't be much better next season?

4. Cow Pattie

Cow Pattie Member

I agree...this is the best thing that could ever happen

My point: Just imagine if we had made it to an AFC Wildcard game and came up empty-handed....again.

The sentiments in the FO would be that we "almost made it" and if not for injuries and the mini-stroke, we would have been right in there.

It's true...this season happened for a reason and next year, with players coming off IR and some smart draft picks, we won't be in a rebuild but we'll have the holes filled in the roster, plus - we'll have a schedule fir for a re-building team!

5. Raven

Raven Member

Hard to see this team transforming into a legit contender in just one season. An easier schedule might get them into the playoffs, but I'd be surprised if they get past the first round.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

This is worse than 2000 when we didn't even have a team!

7. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

I don't know the 2014 schedule but we played

San Francisco
    Seattle
    Denver
    New England
    Indianapolis x 2
    Kansas City

Those are 7 games against super bowl contenders, how many other teams played that brutal schedule. Obviously we too were a super bowl contender but it didn't pan out.

I'd love to see us add Clowney at #1 or #2 to JJ Watt and a healthy cushing OMG! Then in round 2 add either Aaron Murray and let him heal and develop or Zach Mettenberg. I don't like Tajh boyd bc of the allegations he blew games bc he bet on them, even if its not true, ill pass.

Aaron Murray is the real deal, to do what he did vs the SEC is amazing, yes he made lots of mistakes but he's a competitor.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good time to post this after losing to Jacksonville.

BRUTAL. SCHEDULE.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Don't we play Dallas next year?

10. leroy

True...but playing San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, Kansas City, and Indy 2x had nothing to do with finishing in 1st place last year. They were aligned with the NFC and AFC West this season. That was my point. The only 2 games this season that were caused by finishing first were Baltimore and New England. The schedule is only going to be (theoretically) easier next season because they're aligned with the NFC East and AFC East.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The opponents and home/road games are already set... with the exception of the two games that are determined by where they finish in the division.

Home:
    Ravens
    Bengals
    Eagles
    Redskins
    AFC East same place finisher (Jets/Dolphins)
    Colts
    Titans
    Jaguars

Road:
    Browns
    Steelers
    Cowboys
    Giants
    AFC West same place finisher (Raiders/Chargers)
    Colts
    Titans
    Jaguars.

You can actually figure out their opponents and home/road games till 2019 currently.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They play the AFC North next year... see above post (they played the AFC East last year).

13. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

2014 Opponents:

Home

Indy, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Washington, AFC East (currently Buffalo).

Away

Indy, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Dallas, NY Giants, AFC West (currently Oakland).

Not a terribly difficult schedule based on this year's records. I could easily see the Texans make a playoff push with this schedule.

14. leroy

I always get that mixed up because most of the AFC East teams are north of the AFC North teams (with the exception of Miami).

15. msn

msn Member

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Of course this is worse than 2005. You can still blame 2005 on being an expansion franchise.

17. msn

msn Member

I hear you, but I agree with others that the schedule thing is overblown. And, this is just hard to watch. As in train wreck bad. Just brutal.

18. msn

msn Member

With the way they finished 2004 and the crazy off season choices that were made, I don't really think you can. I think the blame lies entirely with Capers and Casserly.

19. Buck Turgidson

It's the 2000 Astros without the distraction of a shiny new stadium.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And they built an expansion franchise team like a house of cards.

Should have started with the trenches, then look to the skill positions. Instead, they go Carr, AJ80, Dunta... and the lines remain swiss cheesy till 2008.