1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

this is why the chronicle sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hey Now!, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Aug. 27, 2007, 2:24PM
    ASTROS FIRE PURPURA, GARNER

notice the timestamp - 24 minutes AFTER the news conference started - it actually started 5-6 minutes late. STILL, point being: their story is after the fact; they had NO SOURCES on this. i actually knew before they did and came here and it was here before the chronicle. how can you justify having a "news' organization that has obviously burned every bridge it has with one of the local teams?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

absolutely right. breaking news on this stuff is coming almost exclusively from sports radio and local tv guys.

the astros were on the verge of firing both their gm and coach...and there weren't even rumblings about it in the local paper in the week or so leading up to it.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I know that newspapers are old-school, but dammit this city needs another daily newspaper badly.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Ortiz is an dumbass who always accuses the Astros of being an racist organization. Justice is going blame McLane like he always does. Glad Lopez is gone so he doesn’t write about the MLS anymore. Berman is the best scoop guy in the city by far and Dalatti is second. Still can’t understand how Bob Allen, who has been covering sports in this town for like 30 years, has never had a scoop.

6. Mattj

Mattj Member

Just Keep Listening to me instead of reading the fish wrap...j/k :D

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think you mean Lopez. He's the one who said that. And I can't listen to his commentary on the 'stros at all...because it ALWAYS sounds like he has an axe to grind. He is anything but fair with them and McLane.

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Their both the same. I remember when Chris Young went off on the Astros at MMP, he was like the Astros had him in the backyard and didn't even know who he was. Just because he is from Houston doesn't mean you have to draft him. It looks dumb right now since Young is a stud but the MLB Draft is crapshoot. Lopez always rights about how Houston should build the Dynamo a stadium because everyone else got one.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well of course Lopez has no sources. Don't you know that he was doing us all a favor by trying keep Drayton honest by writing tough editorials? :rolleyes:

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

it's appaling. i kept refreshing the chronicle's page, expecting an update... how could this leak so massively and yet not a word of it go up on the chronicle's web page until 15-20 minutes AFTER the announcment?

i mean, mcclane said he told pupura last night and garner this morning, ferchirssakes! the chronicle is absolutely worthless as a newssource when it comes to the astros.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Fixed that for you!

12. ima_drummer2k

To be honest, I'm surprised they got a story up less than half an hour after the news conference. Seriously.

13. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

The only thing you get from Bob Allen is that you can watch the Texans during meaningless preseason games on ABC13!

14. msn

msn Member

Tough editorials I could handle. Mindless whiny drivel that could just as easly come from any undereducated moron at a water cooler with no access whatsoever to these organizations is what gets me.

And that's the "Chronicle" in a nutshell. It is an embarrassment to the great city of Houston.

15. Billyp

Billyp Contributing Member

Yeah I got a text from a friend and went immediately to the chronicle and it wasn't on there. However, it was on the trusty clutchfans.net and foxsports.com

16. kevwun

kevwun Member

The chronicle staff has pissed off the Astros organization so much, that they get no information.

17. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

18. ima_drummer2k

I thought is was funny that the Comical "broke" the Rafer story today at 11:18. The bbs broke it 8 hours earlier...

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

dude I was gonna post this story at that time. then I thought, this is the chronicle, maybe I should check if the story has been broken

20. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Yeah Ortiz is a idiot.