1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The XFL has begun

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Cold Hard, Feb 3, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

So what do ya'll think of it so far? (There's a game on now, New York vs. Las Vegas, on NBC). Personally I find it kinda amusing. And the camera angles are terrible.

------------------

2. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Camera angles terrible or just not what we're used to? Yeah, I find it amusing too, I like the mic situation, kinda cool, kinda refreshing. Funny thing is, I think this XFL thing is gonna work. Although, I like basketball better!!! Whats next, the XBA?!?! [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by mr_oily (edited February 03, 2001).]

3. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Actually, the angles aren't really that bad. Play's been decent, hits have been fast and hard...

...I think I might actually be liking this...

------------------
    Hey now, Hey now, don't Dream it's over...

4. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Sweet Jesus!!!!

Did y'all just see that hit? (after the interception)

------------------
    Hey now, Hey now, don't Dream it's over...

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I like the camera angles, I just can't see watching it very much . . .

Football /needs/ an offseason. It won't be as enjoyable if we sit and watch football all year long . . .

------------------
    consultant, n.: Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think This League will tank , The Football all year around thing is bad for the NFL , no one waits so long they cant stand it .

------------------
    Moe's Classic Signatures

"Will Work for Clutch 101 Book"

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It was the worst thing I've ever seen.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

Yo MOESTAVERN-You think it'll tank? Look at NeckCar racing, hows that crap survive? Man we Americans have terrible taste. Not that I'm for it, but I think there is an audience. yep...guess we'll see.

------------------

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I said the samething about the WNBA, and I was wrong.

The WNBA and XFL have huge financial backing. As long as NBC and the WWF give the XFL $$$, the XFL may fail on the field in terms of talent, gameplay, and viewers, but the league will not fold.

NBC has been working on a football league since they lost the NFL. I doubt they give up on the XFL easily.

XFL is more fun to watch than NFL Europe and the only reason NFL Europe exists is the NFL.

The only thing that I cannot explain is Arena Football. I'm sure the ABC/ESPN contract doesn't hurt them plus costs are low.

------------------

10. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm glad that NBC switched over to the Chicago/Orlando game. The NY/Vegas game was a bit boring at times; whereas the Chi/Orl game was pretty exciting (harder hitting, better commentary, better cheerleaders, closer game, etc.)

Overall I thought the XFL debut was OK; definitely better than Arena Football. It has some good ideas, and the potential is there. With some tweaking here and there this league might just be pretty good.

Moestavern, in addition to what Smokey said there seems to be a higher level of interest in the XFL among the public then there was during the WNBA's debut. Now whether that interest is sustained after these two opening games remains to be seen.

------------------

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I'll take College, Arena League, CFL and NFL Europe over the XFL any day.

------------------
    Ceo of the Walt Williams fan club. Web site coming soon

atheistalliance.org

12. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

I love the coin toss [​IMG]

I was expecting it to be fake and hollywood-esq but I was wrong because the WWF is involved...I was expecting them to show skanky cheerleaders everywhere, so so disappointed [​IMG]..this league has some potential, their talent level is not as bad as I thought either..they need better trash-talkers if they want to mic them like that...

------------------

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Not too bad. I didn't expect much out of it, so it did give me more than I expected. I'll probably watch it on Saturdays when the Rockets aren't playing and I have nothing better to do...because Saturday night TV just sucks. I find it quite amusing when the sideline reporters try and interview the players on the sideling during the middle of a drive...did anyone see when they tried to get that RB to say something and he ran off back onto the field?

Anyway...I think it might actually last. I'm not a big wrestling fan, but I think Mcmahon will do whatever it takes to get the ratings. And with all the cash that these TV stations are giving them, they don't have to worry too much about that.

BTW, does anyone know how much these guys are getting paid to play? and what are these "bonuses" they get?

------------------
    "Steve is good. Steve is real good."
    -- Cleveland's rookie point guard Andre Miller on Rocket rookie point Steve Francis

14. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

they make like around 40k for two month's of work, not too bad if you ask me...

------------------

15. The Voice of Reason

I am from NY, but I will root for Los Vegas. "HE HATE ME" Is the man

I like their style.

but the name "trout is truely a funny name.
    only in NY

peace

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

16. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

QBs get 5,000 a game
    punter 3,500
    other 4,500

win 2,500 extra
    playoff win 7,500 extra
    win championship team splits a mill

------------------
    KD 12-21-99

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

50K not too bad for 2 months, especially for that one QB that is normally a schoolteacher, he's making more than a whole years worth.

------------------
    "Steve is good. Steve is real good."
    -- Cleveland's rookie point guard Andre Miller on Rocket rookie point Steve Francis

18. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I think that in order for the new league to survive, there should be MAJOR differences in the rules. For example, touchdowns off of interceptions should be worth 10 points, field goals past 45 yards should be worth 5, etc. Aside from a few minor tweaks, and superior cheer leaders, this looked no different than regular football.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

19. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

One thing of note:

Jesse Ventura sucks as a commentator

I can't stand him . . . get back to governing (your REAL job) and stop acting like you're all hard and s#!+ on TV.

------------------
    consultant, n.: Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.

20. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea,Ventura was the worst part of it.

I was actually suprised at the quality of play.I'll watch it.

------------------