1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The W(why)TF did Trump do this? thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Trump doesn't give a **** if he is wrong or everyone is outraged. He said it (whatever it is) and has moved on.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Again, this is the president of the United States... one of which is California...

3. NewRoxFan

4. NewRoxFan

trump considered this guy for Secretary of Veterans Affairs...

5. NewRoxFan

6. Buck Turgidson

One of the most jacked up gerrymandered districts in Texas.

quikkag likes this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

As a vet, screw that guy. Embarrassing that anyone gives him a voice. Fox News continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't disagree with him, other than that it is a vets fault for the system (it's the government that created it). But you can't be the military party and support increased defense spending and then say that kind of crap.

quikkag and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I completely disagree with him. As a military member, you're asked to do things that most aren't. This isn't a job that you work 9-5 and receive a salary and have to work overtime every once in awhile or go on a week-long business trip. Most are asked to leave their family or their lives behind for months to over a year multiple times in their careers, but that doesn't cover everything. Even at home, exercises and off-duty requirements often take up much of your time. Hell, Hegseth himself should know that since he was deployed twice in his military career as an officer (although he was ANG so he didn't have to deal with the full-time requirements that active duty requires).

They showed a graphic during that showing that veteran's benefits have increased by $100B in the last 10 years. There's a reason for that as 1) mental health issues have come more into focus in that time, 2) we've been fighting two wars since then which has had an exponential affect on vet health as well as create even more problems mentally by stretching folks even thinner, and 3) a lot of those costs have been increasing or improving outdated infrastructure that had been left to rot after decades of neglect.

Looking at this guy's history, he worked for a group that advocated for more of a presence in Iraq/Afghanistan in 2012 and then worked for the Koch Brothers on trying to privatize VA care before trying to run for government. So he advocated for creating more disabled vets and then wanted to allow the business world profit off them. And good for him that he doesn't need the 50% disability for his issues that he states he could get for his ears (which is crap considering that they'd only give him 20% for his ears unless he was completely deaf...which he isn't. I'm wearing hearing aids because of my time in and got 20% for that aspect of my disability); a lot of vets that have hearing issues need that money because they can't get certain jobs because of it. Others weren't able to get/use their education benefits while in and can't afford to get out and go to school (GI Bill only pays for so much housing and doesn't give you food). This guy has no idea what everyone else's situation or station in life is, he's just a silver spooned officer that joined the ANG to get a ride to Princeton and Harvard and looks down his nose at those of us who didn't do what he did. The fact that he even says what he's saying after being in the military tells me everything that I need to know about him and how effective of a leader he was as an officer.

I agree with you in that this is a government-created problem, but pointing the finger at vets for the problems is outrageous. There's many ways to reduce defense spending; focusing on this aspect of it is in poor taste.

quikkag, joshuaao, mdrowe00 and 4 others like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I agree that service members are put through a good amount of crap for what is too low of compensation when deployed (my parents were lucky enough to never be deployed or ever PCS after their initial station despite 10 year for my dad & 6 for my mom). The lack of control over my life is why I would never have joined as enlisted.

With that said, the system that allows you to be 100% disabled vet and get those payments tax free the rest of your life despite being very capable of working (often for the federal government) is ridiculous. I have dozens of clients and friends that are 100% disabled, but pretty much as physically capable as I am. It isn't the healthcare that bothers me. I'd gladly see all of our service members who retire or honorably discharged receive free healthcare for life.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

13. NewRoxFan

Special guest appearance by congressman thomas massie (r-KY). I am sure massie is a smart fellow (engineering degree from MIT and all that), but in his haste to belittle a former Secretary of State and senator (and, pretty smart guy), he ends up looking like a dufus and a douche. Not hard for an off-the-gridder who wants to eliminate the EPA...

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Sweet. Next he can explain to me how Christian Scientists are a religion.

mdrowe00 and NewRoxFan like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Your daily reminder, trump lies about everything.. .

16. NewRoxFan

A very special guest appearance by trump's sister (and now former judge) mary trump barry. It runs in the family...

17. NewRoxFan

I thought trump was from New York City? Fifth Avenue and Park Avenue run parallel with Madison avenue between them, and they never touch. Even at the Hudson River, Fifth touches Madison but never Park Avenue. btw, Park used to be called Fourth Avenue, and I think the general rule is 3 city blocks for each avenue in NYC so they are about 6 blocks walking distance from each other.

18. NewRoxFan

Former Secretary of State Kerry follows up...

KingCheetah and No Worries like this.
  19. NewRoxFan

I still find this amazing... trump's sister is retiring to avoid an indictment (that would involve trump). Meanwhile trump has to stay in office to avoid indictment.

TheFreak likes this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That speech yesterday in Crosby was painful to watch.

He would read some of the speech...then add an unscripted (stupid) comment going off in a totally different direction...then go back to reading the speech. Or he'll throw in something like "oh now this is true" or "I agree with this" as if it's the first time he's ever looked at it (which is probably is). He does this with all of his speeches. Just painful to listen to.

And then he kept acknowledging different people - which is great...but the way he does it just seems so condescending and demeaning. He did it to Ted Cruz and Dan Patrick...which I actually got a kick out of.

RayRay10 likes this.