1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Could the national "brand" of police departments be any worse?

They already were fighting massive corruption, old school racism, incredibly low pay, doing more and more jobs (like working with homeless populations, domestic abuse, etc), and cratering morale. How on earth would you recruit a good cop these days?

"Come join our dysfunctional family, risk your safety for peanuts and societal disdain, and most important of all... find a part of yourself you never knew existed! The part that can beat and even in some cases kill unarmed American citizens who had the nerve to talk back to you or refused to move quickly enough."

#541 B-Bob, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

There is no institutional racism. If there was, surely Barack Obama would have vanquished such a grotesque evil during his eight years as President. If there was....

But he did not even clarify any such task that needed to be undertaken, much less step into it and make an effort to get that done.

In fact, this is just a canard that leftists use to try to justify their overt racism, especially to their fellow racists on the left.

You cannot be so intellectually weak minded as to actually believe this aggressively deceitful ideological drivel that you are offering up here.

Seriously, show yourself some self respect and stop lying to yourself and others about this. It is time to stop racism altogether. That will not be possible as long as the Democrat left in this country continues to make the promotion of racial divisiveness the central tent-pole of it's political values.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whether institutional racism still exist and or other barriers to success was what got me wondering about why I’m an architect and George Floyd was an ex con who died under the knee of LEO. We’re about the same age, we both grew up in Houston and we both come to Minneapolis to better our lives.

Was it all just personal choices or were there other factors that shaped how our lives turned out?

#543 rocketsjudoka, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

BLM stands for "bubba's life matters" lol.

5. Buck Turgidson

Outer Loop Strong.

LonghornFan, B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

You may be conservative but you are no Christian by words and deeds.

RayRay10, Reeko, JayGoogle and 3 others like this.
  7. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

....I don't know about that, Buck.

...have you seen who's been tear-gassed out of the back door of churches, and who's goose-stepped into the front yard of them lately?;)

...I mean...

...if Christians got no problem with it...who are we to quibble?:D

8. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

B-Bob, RayRay10 and Reeko like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Not the kind of Christians I've ever been around ;)

I've got a story for you, but it's embarrassing to tell.

LBJ was the ****ing President at the time, and he happened to be in town, and the Baptist Church in Johnson City, Texas, his hometown, would not let the black Secret Service agents inside the church. So he went down the street with his whole entourage that Sunday and hung out with the Methodists (LBJ was a Methodist, like my great-granddad Crider, who gave him a job sweeping floors at the store when he had nothing else going on, helped to pay for his college)

Then he took the press and the hangers-on out to the Stonewall Ranch, and it was booze and bbqs, driving around the pastures in Cadillacs and ****. (He loved to **** with east-coast people, they didn't like him and the feeling was mutual)

#549 Buck Turgidson, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    RayRay10, mdrowe00 and AleksandarN like this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I saw this not too far from where I live. We now have to tell people not to burn down a building because there are people inside. When people wonder why I am so hard on the people justifying or excusing the destruction look at this.
    [​IMG]

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

CBS News is reporting that a coworker of both George Floyd and Derek Chauvin at El Nuevo Rodeo that they knew each other and had a history together. According to him the Chauvin was didn't treat black patrons well. The owner of the club had previously said they didn't know each other.

FYI El Nuevo Rodeo was a Hispanic night club popular with Chuntaro culture. On a typical weekend night there would be a lot of people in white cowboy hats and boots.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The latest reporting is that the owner of El Nuevo Rodeo knew that Chauvin had a problem with black patrons but didn't want to complain in case she got another LEO to work security who was worse.

There is a lot of reporting that the 3rd Precinct had a lot of issues.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Someone Ban this *******.

saitou, Deckard, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  15. edwardc

edwardc Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The coworker who said Chauvin and Floyd new each other is now backtracking saying he got Floyd mixed up with another coworker.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They got to him. I don't know who they are but they know who they are and they know what they did.

In all seriousness, something is rotten in Denmark.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It sounds like there might be charges for the people who pulled down the statue of Columbus at the MN Capital.
    https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/...ea6gwBe6Zof-wV7IOCTMOD4wnxxj6vPU0w9_g7av8kHM8

Political tension rises after Columbus statue falls
    Brian Bakst
    St. Paul
    June 11, 2020 5:43 p.m.

The toppling of the Christopher Columbus statue that stood outside Minnesota’s Capitol since the 1930s is fanning political tensions among those who work inside the building.

A demonstration led by American Indians on Wednesday left the Columbus statue face down on the sidewalk. The 10-foot bronze statue of the Italian explorer was pulled down despite a warning from the State Patrol. No one was arrested on scene, but charges are possible.

Gov. Tim Walz said those responsible won’t get off without punishment.

"There will be consequences,” Walz said Thursday. “This was an act of civil disobedience. The people doing it clearly understood and are prepared to take those consequences."

The governor said he wishes it would have gone differently.

"I certainly do not condone, nor is this the right way to go about this change."

Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan, who is a member of the White Earth Nation of Ojibwe, said she wasn’t sad to see the Columbus statue gone.

"I'm not going to perform for folks,” she said. “I'm not going to feign sadness. I will not shed a tear over the loss of a statue that honored someone that by of his own admission sold nine and 10-year-old girls into sex slavery. So, let me start there."

Flanagan is chair of the board that oversees monuments on the Capitol and has said a wholesale review is long overdue.

“All Minnesotans should feel and welcomed and valued when they step into and on the grounds of their house, the Minnesota State Capitol,” she said.

The Columbus statue has been defaced over the years but survived calls for its removal.

A spokesperson for the Department of Public Safety said Thursday that there were no orders from agency higher-ups or the governor’s office for troopers to stay back.

“Troopers and the Department of Public Safety tribal liaison were attempting to negotiate with the organizer when the demonstrators decided to tear it down,” agency communications director Bruce Gordon said in an email.

Gordon said the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension will conduct an investigation and turn the case over to the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office for possible charges related to destruction of public property.

But the way the statue was felled as state troopers hung back brought swift criticism from Republican lawmakers and even a fellow Democratic legislator, state Sen. David Tomassoni from the Iron Range. They said the tear-down amounted to mob rule.

“Wanton destruction of property on the Capitol grounds isn’t acceptable and is unlawful. It should have been stopped!” Tomassoni wrote on Twitter. He didn’t return a phone message, but in his post said charges and fines are necessary.

Rep. Dean Urdahl, R-Acton Township, said he doesn’t have a problem with removing a statue that no longer stands the test of time. But that must happen through normal order, he said.

‘“I don’t agree with destroying art. We have a process to deal with it,” Urdahl, a former history teacher, said. “Acts of destruction are just wrong in this case.”

The Columbus statue was loaded on a flatbed truck and taken to an unknown location before dusk on Wednesday. What happens next with the statue and the space where it stood is unclear.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

H-Tine?

RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D