1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The View from the Ground: George Floyd Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 28, 2020.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans, I spent two hours this morning at the area of the protests. This is what I saw.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I feel for the small businesses caught up in this. I understand people are upset with the situation but that doesn’t help anyone.

also, any word on the Arbys?

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

looting, violence, property damage... and you wonder why law enforcement gets concerned when these groups gather in large numbers...

Really a bad way to make your point. Does more harm than good.

Sajan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing. In my experience, things have to be getting pretty bad for protesters to be this worked up. However if you look back at history, this actually isn't that bad in comparison to Rodney King in the 90's, and King didn't lose his life in such a cruel and shameless manner.

I feel for the small businesses especially that have to deal with the destruction, and ultimately it costs the tax payers who pay higher property insurance with higher amounts of local claims in the area. The cost always goes to the tax payers and consumers in the end so there really is no point in destroying property during a protest.

Still... this is a preview of what America will look like on a vastly wider scale if America slips into a much more autocratic police state. We have a Justice Department now that at the very top is reveling in their ability to manipulate the rule of law to benefit those in their political tribe, and punish those who dare speak out.

Let this be a reminder why its so important that the rule of law be distributed in a fair and unbias manner.... even if you think the corruption benefits you politically as a supporter for more Autocratic right wing government that governs with bias. You think it benefits you in your place in society.... it does not in the end. Things will get ugly in your neck of the woods if you choose this path because you think a more conservative country is worth destroying the rule of law over.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No excuses for this ****, it’s an excuse to loot.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The Arbys was still standing. I didn't get close to it so don't know how much damage it took. The Wendy's though was barely a shell.

CCorn and RayRay10 like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I was in Berkeley during Rodney King and it's not near as bad but then again Minnesota isn't California. This is very bad. There have been protests and riots before in MN but I'm not aware of it ever being like this.

You're right too this is far from over. Both here and for this country. I can still hear copters over head. It's likely going to be bad again tonight.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Your racism is showing.

Yung-T likes this.
  9. likestohypeguy

Can everyone find groceries and supplies now? With target, aldis and bigger stores having been looted out of commission temporarily, that leaves fewer smaller stores to provide for more people. If they're not locked down already.

What a mess.

FrontRunner and RayRay10 like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Oh.. if only there was a way to peacefully protest without being vilified ...

That being said... this looting and rioting is abominable

Nook, conquistador#11 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. amaru

amaru Member

This is what can happen when you allow corruption to go unaddressed. I guarantee you that Mr. Floyd’s lynching was just the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Mazulis, Yung-T, FrontRunner and 3 others like this.
  12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing. Stay safe.

amaru and RayRay10 like this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you know what a self-fulfilling prophecy means? Or the common adage "If you treat people like animals long enough, they will eventually act like animals"?

Mazulis, Yung-T, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There are in fact two more Aldis within a mile of the one that was looted, although one of those might've been looted. There are other grocery stores including ethnic tiendas. There isn't another Target though that can easily be gotten too. The bigger loss than the store itself is that the Target employed many locals including Somalis. I was just saying that it might be the only Target in the country that a Somali who doesn't speak English could shop at with no problem.

15. WNBA

WNBA Member

Not even the 0.1% damage done by HK rioters. Brothers need to step up the game. Fight for freedom.

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Black people can't be healthy and educated without help from whites, no? That is also a self-fulfilling prophecy, no?

You might think what you are advocating is correct and loving, but making excuses for clearly wrong, immoral behavior is a sign that you don't love nor respect someone enough to tell them that they are wrong.

17. fchowd0311

The disconnect in communication here is that you are treating my statements as normative statements (ought statements) when I'm merely expressing positive statements (statements of reality).

Normative statements work when trying to solve problems at the micro level such as telling a friend or family member they ought to not riot or destroy property. Normative statements don't work in the macro level. At that level they merely become public service announcements. I think a obvious example of this is D.A.R.E which statistically has shown to be a complete failure because D.A.R.E took the normative approach to problem solving large systemic issues.

A local community leader obviously should come out and say violent protests are not the way and many local black leaders have been. But to understand how we got here where riots can break so easily over these incidents, we have to examine HOW we got here rather than just thinking PSAs solve things.

Also, making sure the children of poor communities in general have a social safety net where they have access to full coverage healthcare, excellent quality schools etc isn't to cajoling minority groups. It's to make sure those children don't fall into the common phenomenon where poverty is more often than not inherited down to the next generation.

#17 fchowd0311, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    HakeemOnlyFan and Nook like this.
  18. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Go the Fukk away and get back to your WinnieTheFlu butt licking. Leave us Americans alone!

19. fchowd0311

Do you understand their point though? You praise Hong Kong protesters and not once have condoned them for destroying private property which they have done plenty even though their cause is justified.

But for some reason you are here very concerned about destruction of property? Can you explain the difference in outrage here?

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm hearing an unconfirmed report that a Target in St. Paul is now being looted.