1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Time Bomb in Miami

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by j@amc, Sep 12, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What are the chances for Houston to acquire Oubre instead of Winslow?

2. Nook

Nook Member

I haven’t heard anything about the Wizards trying to move him recently.

If I remember right his salary is only 3-4 million and he will be a free agent after this season. He hasn’t really been all that great so far but has talent.

What would the Rockets trade to get him? The Wizards intend to compete so there is no great need to move him, and I doubt the Rockets would give up a lot for a free agent.

I would think he would be someone possibly moved close to the deadline for a #2 if he hasn’t broke out or the Wizards are struggling.

I do think offensively he would do better here, and hit the three better. Defensively he is already good.

saleem likes this.
  3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks much appreciated.

Nook likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Oubre's salary matches nicely with Chriss. Feels like because of his roster position on the Wizards with Porter (and his salary) ahead of him, and newly drafted Brown behind him, Oubre could be squeeze. Plus him about to hit RFA and the Wizards are in the LT. Perfect mix for him to be available.

@Nook, Codman mentioned the Bulls as a team to watch. And someone mentioned that Denzel Valentine could fit in the Rockets Trade Exception. Since you know the Bulls, can you comment on perhaps his availability? Is he in their plans? Would he be a good SF target?

D-rock likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Injuries have really taken a toll on Valentine, he no longer has good lateral quickness or any explosion to the basket. He has had chronic knee and ankle conditions. Defensively he cannot cover on the wing well like he did early in his college career. As a result he is a liability on defense, contrary to his prior reputation as a good defender (he was never a very good defender, but he is bad at this point).

Offensively, he cannot finish at the basket well because he can no longer get off the floor explosively. At this point, offensively he is dependent on 3 point shots, the occasional lay up and mediocre mid range shots.

He can handle the ball some and get some rebounds. I don't think he would crack the rotation in Houston because of his defensive short comings. While he has a strong wingspan, he simply doesn't recover or move well enough. The best shot he has is to become a 40% three point shooter that can pass and rebound some...... that may get him some time on a good team like the Rockets, but not come playoff time.

D-rock, Vivi, Deuce and 1 other person like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Excellent scouting report. Thank you.

Nook likes this.
  7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Minny is committed to KAT as of now.

KAT and Wigs aren't gelling.

Wigs wants out. That comes from his best friend up north.

eric.81, D-rock, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

TREYK knows

Kelly wants out of the Wash. He'll be available, but the price will be high.

He may be one of the most talented/unknowns in the league.

And Yes, there's a red radar on him for the best time to pounce.

Also, from numerous ears (but don't hate me MORE than most of you do if it doesn't happen), but I am confident Tyson Chandler will be a Rocket before we enter the playoffs. 15-20 minutes of rim protection is invaluable.

MDA wants what he wants.

eric.81, D-rock, lilbird20 and 11 others like this.
  9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Thanks Cod. Huge!

10. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Really? Who? There have the league's highest payroll, with a mediocre team with NO stars on it. Meaning everyone is overpaid--ie bad contracts. It's hard to even imagine what worse might look like, but I'm game.

it's hard to get a lot worse than an overpriced team going nowhere, fwiw. Particulary when overpriced is VASTLY overpriced. That means you have a team full of terrible contracts that are difficult to get rid of, and you have zero salary cap room to acquire other talent.

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Is that really a play off team next year? I think that is debatable, even in the East. They were 6th last year, but with little upside that I saw. Does Wade really change that? And how many teams below them are going to improve? Even if they did make it, it's a one and done scenario. Not sure that's a strong marketing campaign.

I think they don't make big roster moves for another reason. There aren't any they can make. Yes, Whiteside is probably tradeable, but for what that actually makes them better? Teams seldom trade their best player and improve.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Nope.
    GSW, Rockets, OKC, Blazers, Raptors, Wizards have higher team salary.
    Most of the big contracts expire only in 2 years but they still have an amazing owner, coach, city, location and culture.
    Now teams like the Suns, Kings, Orlando, Minny, Milwaukee no matter what they have **** owners and/or crap locations and cultures and most have crap coaches.
    No matter what a good owner and a good GM count much more than just 2 years of bloated contracts.

Vivi and Nook like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Oubre would be a great get. I can see him being available. But who knows on the price.

I am guessing if the Rockets add Chandler, it will be with a vet min deal and not the taxpayer MLE?

Codman, could you see the Rockets adding TWO buyout guys? Or do you think TC will be the buyout addition and the other addition will be via trade?

I am not sure Chandler helps via GSW, but he could help in other playoff matches.

14. craguin

craguin Member

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, they don't. Refer to the OP. That' what makes this so astonishly bad.

This is a misdirection argument. Basically, you're saying that no matter how stupidly they manage their team...they've got a good situation. That's, well...BS. Yes, those things help, but they aren't excuses for horrible team management. A pile of crap on a nice beach in the sun is still a pile of crap, and it still stinks.
    But they have neither, or they wouldn't be in the contract situation they are. But would disagree anyway. 2 years of bad play with high contracts only devalues the franchise, disenchants the fan base...and gets rid of the people who caused that situation.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wow. What does that mean for Nene if Chandler become a Rocket. Their roles are the same.

17. j@amc

j@amc Member

Well the spin circus in Miami has finally floated the obvious idea that Winslow MIGHT be available (along with others). Seems like going slow may work out after all.

Miami also prefers to keep Kelly Olynyk. But Justise Winslow could be put in play because of questions about whether the Heat will keep him if he enters restricted free agency next summer. Winslow and the Heat are not close to a contract extension, with a mid-October deadline looming, and one GM said he could command a deal starting at $9 million in a new contract.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article218908300.html#storylink=cpy

Vivi and ThatBoyNick like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Deal starting at 9 mill? Shiiiid, that's a steal. I'd lock him up on that extension ASAP.

19. j@amc

j@amc Member

I’d take that deal too. Winslow should be thrilled to get that kind of offer, but if he’s on the Heat with Wade, the minutes are going to be scarce. That’s why I think he’s the piece that doesn’t fit.

But on the Rockets? He’s an immediate fit.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I hear you but I think that's the wrong decision for the Heat, they need to go young and not let middling role players effect what they do with a young talent in Winslow.

If i'm the Heats GM, Winslow's apart of a 3 man core with Richardson and Adebayo, they should be looking to move everybody else.

But hell if they want to trade Winslow to keep Dion Waiters and Ellington happy, i'll gladly offer Chriss + a 1st for him.