1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by malakas, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This is what pisses me off more than anything. Serena making a show of this, calling sexism and saying she is "fighting for all women" and "people of color" in her interviews after the fact is completely tasteless. She had no chance of winning this final, she was out played and out matched... which is exactly why she acted like a petulant child. She hated that she wasn't in control, so lashed out to either maker herself feel better, to change the narrative for her getting her ass kicked or both.

I don't buy her, "I feel sorry for Naomi Osaka" one bit. Serena was looking out for herself during and after the match. Sadly, as women aren't treated fairly in other areas women tend to side with her, while all she is doing is hurting the cause she says she is helping. We should defend and lift up those who deserve it, and she doesn't deserve it in this case. I have no doubt she has been treated like crap in her career for her color and gender, but this wasn't one of those times.

And in the process she helped perpetuate the "angry black woman" stereotype that many racists or racially insensitive people already hold.

I don't blame the coach, he was right to be honest, because it does happen all the time. Even if it is an inconsistent call, doesn't make it a wrong call. The only problem I had with the chair umpire, is that he didn't give her a soft warning before the 3rd violation. Obviously he didn't have to and was in his right, but I think if he did he would have covered his ass. I don't think a soft warning would have stopped her at all. She was hell bent on playing the victim card.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Djoko will pass nadal in 2 years in grand slams. Greatest hardcourt player ever.

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

A day late on the Serena controversy but I really, really disliked how she reacted during the championship ceremony. She should've never even went to the podium at alll since it was obvious the crowd were more focused on her than Osaka. And then she says "we'll get over this together guys..." over and over. Way to make everything about you. She followed it up with "let's not boo her"...they weren't booing her you dolt. Osaka barely got a word in. As for the game deduction...she was asking for it...she must've pestered the umpire about between every game. Her coach was clearly coaching (which Serena at the time said he was giving a thumbs up), and she clearly smashed her racket because Osaka turned the momentum and she knew she was getting outplayed. Let's not forget Osaka is 2-0 against Serena this year. Clearly outplayed her both times.

edit: her exact quote was “Let’s try to make this the best moment we can,”... “and we’ll get through it . . ."

#123 tehG l i d e, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Svpernaut and Senator like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Djoko-bot is back and no one can stop the domination. I still think 2011-2015 Djoko is the best ever

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

2015 was by far the best season from a player ever. Nadal is the best clay court player ever, but outside of that Djoko is the best. Fed benefited from 4-5 years of no real competition. But I won’t ignore his consistency and health, something the other 2 don’t have.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Peak Djoko is probably GOAT, but he rarely unlocks that gate. His health is one thing, but it's usually more between the ears. If they were competitive in the same era, I think Federer comes out ahead for his consistency.

8. Senator

Senator Member

It's pathetic and predictable. Feminists have hurt the argument for equal pay with these articles - they just don't GET it but keep trying to push their predetermined narrative.

Svpernaut likes this.
  9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Bezos is all about monetization (which is his right). He's basically just made it into a "respectable" Huffington Post clone.

10. SuraGotMadHops

Lost all respect for Serena. She is a brat, threw a tantrum and got penalized. Trying to scream sexism afterwards is pathetic. I've never seen someone advocating for equal rights by being disrespectful to the ump, because "men do it too." I'm glad she got stomped on the tennis court.

luckystrikes and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is this cartoon racist?

[​IMG]

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yes

But it's tame compared to the stuff thrown at her over the last 2 decades.

ferrari77 likes this.
  13. Senator

Senator Member

It's an honest depiction of the events that unfolded, and have unfolded before when Serena is on the verge of losing a big match.

The "complaints" are she is made to look too muscular, the stereotype of the angry black woman and depicted like sambo... but that's exactly what it is. You can't shame people from telling the truth, that won't allow any society to progress.

14. Duncan McDonuts

How is it racist?

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The one thing Serena could do to clean this up is to publicly apologize for her behavior without making excuses before it becomes obvious she needs to. If she waits until public (or tennis) consensus turns against her, then an apology becomes self-serving and insincere.

However, doing this would be a huge letdown to the people who feel she can do no wrong.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I have no idea what isn't racist anymore. But I would definitely use the buzzword of "racially insensitive" because of the exaggerated depiction. It is reminiscent of cartoons that were drawn when racism was more out in the open. I'm assuming this was planned out for shock value.

As far as the content, it's definitely more on the nose than articles I've read in support of her.

17. Invisible Fan

Lke p*rn it's more subjective than anything else. My two cents and spoilering because this is more D&D.
    They could've went with the spoiled babyface angle more than making her face look ugly and brutish.

Serena's career would get half the crap if she were a man, and half the crap she gets is because her build is more of a man's than a Sharapova's.

Osaka looks like a basic blonde. Serena's body was exaggerated more like a hulk.

Separately it's debatable, but combining the face and the body reinforces cultural stereotypes of black people and black women specifically. An Aussie drew it, so maybe their people see it differently.

ferrari77 likes this.
  18. Duncan McDonuts

Fair enough. My opinion is the lips do look more exaggerated like blackface, but everything else seems fair.

Serena gets a lot of crap because of how aggressive she is. I can't recall any top mens players being as aggressive, threatening, or disrespectful as Serena has towards officiating. Maybe Andy Roddick gets close, but he never physically threatened umps or linesmen and he knew when to give it up.

Osaka was drawn with the blonde ponytail because she has blonde highlights. She's not drawn as a white person, you can tell her skin tone is darker than the ump's.

And let's be fair, Serena is the most muscular woman in the WTA. Caricatures will always embellish characteristics. Nothing racist about her musculature looking brutish. It's similar to the Beyonce memes.

19. Invisible Fan

Yeah, that's half where I was going with the not-a-man part. People are more accepting when dudes do it. It grabs less press and attention. Tennis started out as a hoity toity sport with expectations over how players presented themselves. Serena put that on herself, and one could say she wouldn't get that flak if she acted like Venus. It's part of her bigger narrative for people who have a problem with her.

Everyone knows Serena's muscular and she's reminded of it daily. Maybe people see her brutish enough to use her full weight to break a tennis racket rather than slamming it on the floor?

I haven't seen or imagined children doing that when throwing a tantrum.

Anyways, all subjective

#140 Invisible Fan, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018