1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by malakas, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Serena is Queen BAE to the media and can do no wrong, they will circle the wagons around her and cry sexism.

Never Forget

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

While Serena wasn't dropping F bombs like a man would do, she was condescending as hell and talking down to the ref like he was her child. "I don't lie, I have a daughter!... You owe me an apology" and crap like that... child please. I think the ref should have given her a soft warning before formally giving the 3rd violation, but other than that this was all on her.

It's like a soccer player who gets a yellow card, you have to play and act more reserved due to the violation. She should have known to stop yelling at the ref... and the cries of sexism were cringey as hell. You know what? If you don't break your racquet, or yell at the ref, you don't lose a point and a game. Grow up, you're a mom now.

She was out played the entire match, the results would have been the same in the end.

3. astros123

astros123 Member

lost all respect for serena after that bullshit she pulled off. everyone is forgetting how she got her ass whopped in the first set. bottom line was she had no respect for the ump. threatening that hell never work any of your games again? who the **** do you think you are. hate arrogant athletes

Svpernaut and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

What a sore and terrible loser.

Glad she got her ass handed to her by Osaka today.

Svpernaut, AroundTheWorld and basso like this.
  5. Senator

Senator Member

Look at the scoreline when that happens, already on the verge of losing. So it takes away from Clijsters.

Look at the scoreline today when she went back to attack the umpire, Osaka had broke back and had the momentum in the second.

It's always conveniently done and afterwards she'll act like a dignified human being to keep the press on her side but it is what it is. If she was white or looked like a woman the media would destroy her.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Serena knew she had no shot and made a scene. Nothing more

Svpernaut and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. PhiSlammaJamma

The real story should be the coach telling the truth, lol. That's the interesting part. Even if everyone does it, it still doesn't make it right. Classic steroid and doping thinking. However, love the honesty. It opens eyes. And totally refutes the dishonesty. Which makes Serena look bullish, almost like the cyclist not to be named.

I thought that during the Bregman and Arod walking interview, I would have loved if Bregman just said, I have a few questions for you before we start. And just get to Arod's truth. And I'm not talking about hitting Arod hard, but just ask him, did you do it because everyone else was doing it. Did you ever feel regretful about it. Did you feel like you were playing unfairly. Did you regret the money you've earned. Just ask the dude some real questions for once and see how he responds on the fly to another ball player in a moment he can't run from.

Serena lost some ground today. Think she will overcome it like the pitchers greasing the baseball, but it wasn't pretty because she was doing exactly what she denied doing. And making it worse by pulling the trump cards of I'm a mom, and I'm a woman. Well now, what do you tell everyone because your coach just let the cat out of the bag.

Which brings me to the last comment, what in the world was going on when cats were being put into bags, and what did they do when they got out of the bag that led to this phrase.

#107 PhiSlammaJamma, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    AroundTheWorld, arkoe and basso like this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Serena should take a note from Nadal and just retire when she knows she’s going to lose.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I was mainly watching the Astros yesterday, so I didn't get to catch all of it.

Serena, the official and the crowd all behaved like s**t. Osaka played awesome, completely outplayed Serena, and what should have been the crowning achievement of everything she worked for was f**ked off by poor behavior from all sides.

Svpernaut likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You cannot be serious.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What should the official have done differently?

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I thought the game penalty was given too quickly, particularly given the gravity of the match.

Having said that what he did wasn't even close to the poor behavior of Serena and that crowd. This isn't the first time Serena has acted this way either, she is quite possibly the most sore loser I have ever seen. She was getting beat, if she were outplaying her opponent she wouldn't have acted that way.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. astros123

astros123 Member

Threatening ones career doesnt call for a code violation? Have you ever played Tennis?

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I had the opposite reaction. All I kept thinking was how long he allowed her to rant. Any other player in any other sport would have been thrown out of the game after the first "you owe me an apology." Yet she got to rant to him for several minutes with no penalty whatsoever. It was embarrassing and difficult to watch. I think the biggest rule change tennis should make after this is giving Umpires even MORE power to levy verbal abuse penalties, so games never get a chance to devolve into that kind of spectacle again.

From what I understand of the rule, the "verbal abuse" is particularly focused on a player attacking the official's character. I'm guessing that's why he allowed her to incessantly rant for minutes about "owing an apology," but the moment it changed to "you are a thief," which I would say is a direct attack on the umpire's character, is when the verbal abuse penalty was delivered.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I really thought Serena was trying to get ejected.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wanted her to break the record but she ran out of gas with her engine hitting top limit.

Made the game about her and spoiled the attention to the real winner.

It must be related to the epic of herding cats.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We have witnessed the impossible. Serena used motherhood and a lengthy temper tantrum to turn herself into a feminist martyr.

She's a winner even as a sore loser.

Svpernaut likes this.