1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Ringer: The Houston Rockets Are Playing Like They Can Beat Anyone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/4/18/18484530/houston-rockets-utah-jazz-game-2-round-one-playoffs

And after a second straight blowout win over the Utah Jazz, they appear to be ready to take on their toughest test in the next round
    By Haley O'Shaughnessy Apr 18, 2019, 1:40am EDT

Repeat after me: The Rockets could upset the Warriors. You’ve heard that sentiment before. This season, last season, the one before that. From podcasts, from your uncle in Houston, from your own inner monologue. “The Rockets could beat the Warriors” is an opinion somewhere between brave and foolish—this is known as a take—hedged with word choice; they could beat Golden State, just as Kobe Bryant could coach the Lakers or Zion Williamson could stay another year at Duke.

See, Houston has made fools of men before. Burned them. Once, legend has it, 27 times over. But if you’re looking for certitude to place in the Rockets, and in the idea that they could soon be champions, hold dear this image from their 118-98 Game 2 win against the Jazz on Wednesday, a shot that followed James Harden literally shaking his defender out of the frame:

A picture breaks a thousand ankles. And the video is pretty good, too.

Though this happened two minutes into the game (thoughts and prayers to Ricky Rubio, whose life was spared only because Harden’s shot didn’t go in), Harden standing alone later felt symbolic of Houston’s place in the West through the conclusion of Game 2s. Denver and San Antonio have both lost one; Utah and Oklahoma City are down two; Portland, though more convincing than everthrough two wins, still isn’t at Houston’s threat level. And Golden State, well, Golden State blew a 31-point lead, the largest in playoff history, against Los Angeles on Monday.

But the context of a historically bad Warriors loss isn’t really necessary for full confidence in the Rockets. It helps Houston’s case, sure, but so does Harden logging the third playoff triple-double of his career (32 points, 13 rebounds, and 10 assists), or P.J. Tucker’s four 3s and Clint Capela’s three blocks, or a 20-point win despite Chris Paul’s shot not falling, and the fact that every Rocket who logged more than 11 minutes made it to the line on Wednesday. The Rockets ousted the Jazz last postseason, as it seems they soon will during these playoffs, but on shakier terms. They lost that Game 2 at home—this time, no intensity was lost. Houston no longer seems as prone to play up or down to an opponent thanks to Harden, who no longer seems prone to playing any way but out of his mind. Utah was never close; at the end of the first quarter, the Rockets had 39 points, the Jazz had 19, and Harden had 17. (It’s worth mentioning that Utah’s defensive strategy—one that Milwaukee employed this season—might’ve helped Harden more than it limited him; in an effort to deter Harden from going left, the defense essentially gave the reigning MVP open looks to the right, which he easily turned into floaters and lobs. It didn’t work in Game 1, and, to no one’s surprise, it didn’t in Game 2, either.)

Keeping Round 1 as brief as possible is best for the Rockets for reasons other than keeping focus. If they advance, and if the Warriors beat the Clippers, a Western Conference finals rematch between the two would happen in Round 2. Blowouts like games 1 and 2 against the Jazz will only keep Houston fresh: Harden played 33 minutes in both games, while injury-prone CP3 averaged even fewer. For the Rockets, there’s less of a gap between could and will than ever before.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Haley O'Shaughnessy is a Westbrook apologist. I wonder who called in sick for her to write this one.

#2 DreamShook, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    glenadyll, hakeem94 and Plowman like this.
  3. Mr. Space City

That loser Chris Vernon must be feeling extreme discomfort reading that.

4. jcf

jcf Member

Best part: Harden, who no longer seems prone to play any way but out of his mind.

5. xaos

xaos Member

That picture of Harden all alone is amazing. That's a picture of the former MVP who is playing against a top defensive team whose game plan surely has James Harden's name all over it in the playoffs. It looks like he showed up early to the game for shoot around.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

By far my least favorite NBA person they have at the ringer. Writing is fine, but listening to her on their NBA podcast is rough.

Invisible Fan, glenadyll and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I love the Ringer but cant handle the NBA show. Its a very difficult listen. I love Bill Simmons though and can listen to him talk NBA all day.

RocketWalta, biff17 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Simmons and Kevin O'Connor picked the Rockets to beat the Warriors. FYI since a lot of people dislike/mistrust them.

luckyman76, D-rock, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Really? The only person on the Ringer staff that I struggle to listen to is Chris Vernon. Aside from the fact he's a Rockets and Harden hater, he's also one of those guys who gets very defensive and never admits there is any possibility he could be wrong. And his voice is annoying. I actually enjoy Haley.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I literally laughed out loud this morning when Brendan Haywood said Harden crossed Rubio off the channel, and he had to turn to Telemundo to find him.

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Who wore it Better?

12. xaos

xaos Member

Hahahahah! :D

13. SemisolidSnake

He missed that shot, though, right? Or did he have another shot where he was that wide open?

Also, is that the last episode of Fresh Prince? Because the last episode of Fresh Prince is pretty much the saddest last episode of anything ever, IMO.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I dunno. I listen almost daily and I just never find her to be that knowledgeable for someone who covers the NBA. A lot of surface level stuff and outside drama crap and not much more. And although I find the ringer as a whole to be more interested in the stories outside the game than the game itself, I think she might be the most egregious. Just not the type of coverage I’m interested in.

Vernon I actually don’t mind other than his complete disgust over Harden. I actually enjoy listening to KOC mess with him after Harden and Houston play well.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Dang, that's funny.

seeingredtx likes this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Better than listening to 610 AM obsess over the NFL schedule release when the Astros were in a 10 game win streak and Rockets are dominating the Jazz...

Lurch, rgw20014life and smp like this.
  17. photojoe

photojoe Member

That part is great, but I think the best part is the photo. It looks like Harden is in a gym by himself just casually practicing shooting.

hakeem94, D-rock and jcf like this.
  18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

He missed it. The Rockets had like 5 or 6 plays last night that could have been classic highlights if they'd just made the shot :)

snowconeman22, Deckard and hakeem94 like this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Big Moron Shaq put him on Shaqtin a fool for missing it.

Richie_Rich, Deckard and hakeem94 like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Big Moron is the right description and the fat fool badly needs a prescription, @Dr of Dunk. Don't give it to him!