1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Ringer) Rockets interested in JR Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I was saying JR Smiths.

Only like $3 million of $15 million is guaranteed next year, with the trigger date being like July 2nd.

clutchdabear, saleem and joshuaao like this.
  4. Pizza_Da_Hut

With us hitting the repeater tax, that translates to around $9 M right?

5. JayZ750

Well, I mean my thought/goal would then be to move his contract for an actual positive asset.

So it would be much easier to move JR Smith's contract in the offseason for James Johnson or the like, as you can send out $15 million, get back $15 million, but then that team that acquires JR cuts him before the trigger date and immediately saves $12 million in cap space.... or whatever the number is.

It's like a Trade Exception.

clutchdabear, joshuaao and foggy94 like this.
  6. BigBum

BigBum Member

How much does JR Smith cost Tilman?
    This year alone: $15M + 16M tax = 31M
    next year alone: $4M + 5M tax = 9M
    Total Cost 40 million dollars
    How much is JR Smith really worth?
    Real Worth 4 million dollars

Let's think outside of box
    Cavs offer 3 first round picks to Rockets for unloading JR Smith "almost dead contract".

JR is defensive liability and is not playable.

7. foggy94

foggy94 Member

That calculation only works if we send no salary the other way, which is illegal since we're both over the cap. Since we have to match salaries, luxury tax wont be affected much. Meanwhile, Tilman could get under the luxury tax next season if we get Knight going the other way (with a first rounder) then waive JR.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Oh agreed, just more asking on an information basis. It wasn't meant to be leading or rhetorical.

I know my gif shows a bias of me hating acquiring him, it was more of a joke than anything. It's all contingent on what we send out. He could be worth it.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Got it.

11. JayZ750

The Rockets would be trading Knight for him, who is also on the books next year. Net, net, then, there's not a difference. It's an opportunity cost difference of whether the Rockets could get SOMETHING BETTER in return - be it real salary cap improvement or a legit player.

The Cavs should be able to get something of value for Smith's contract at some point because of its non-guarantee nature for next year.

It's the same reason they got 2 future seconds for Kyle Korver.

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Pelicans offer SF Solomon Hill, 2019 second-round pick for JR.

It is easy to beat them.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I cant think of an article, but it's been out there for quite some time. I believe even Nook or Codman has whispered something of the effect that he isnt exactly what he is portrayed to be.

HP3 and clutchdabear like this.
  14. BigBum

BigBum Member

JR does not make any sense in term of improving rosters. He is not better than Melo.

There are 25 other players are in the market. You can be interested in Morris Wizards, Holiday Bulls, ......

15. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

After what TMAC said about JR Smith on The NBA Jump keep Brandon Knight.

16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I found one thing about it. The fumble (which is kind of a joke) said that a woman was shopping around proof that he cheated. But that was the beginning and end of it. It’s possible, I was very shocked when I read the posts talking about this. But the internet is harsh and does not make exceptions. I feel like more would have come out of this if he truly was as bad as what you heard. Anyways, he’s probably not as saintly as he appears, but I can’t think of a single superstar athlete past and present that I would think was as good and humble a person as Steph. And I really really never liked him.

HP3 likes this.
  17. basketballholic

JR......or any expiring contract....is about the contract and what we can do with it.

1. We can likely flip it at the deadline with a first to Sacramento for a youngster and a nice TPE. And get out of, or close to out of, the tax.
    2. We can use it to acquire a player like Winslow at the deadline.
    3. We can use it (whatever expiring) to acquire a contract like Solomon Hill at the deadline....if the Pels decide to trade Davis. We'll be able to hand them 4 picks plus Gordon, Capela....whom they can then flip for other young assets while also helping them clear the deck by moving out Solomon.

This is very important! Lakers can't take back Hill with Davis because they're trying to sign Durant outright.

The whole trade deadline this year is wrapped around Davis, Durant, and Green. You can bet your shorts the Warriors are going to make a decision on Durant if they don't get a decision from Durant. He'll either have to opt in or they're going to trade him. Very similar to Dwight/Orlando a few years ago. Except a more subtle, friendly approach. It will be decision time. If Durant commits then Green could be up on the block. Pels could decide to clear the deck rather than take Ingram going into his 4th season and lonzo going into his 3rd season. Capela/Gordon probably worth close to the same as Ingram/Ball and they've got an extra 12 million free if they can clear Hill with Davis.

It's all about the contract. And if we actually get him for a second, Knight, and a youngster, that would be crazy good for us.

KCP, Lin, gortat, burks, others.

#157 basketballholic, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

how does this work... isn't the trade deadline feb 7th?

19. basketballholic

Yes. We've got to move Melo out. We can trade Melo combined with Chriss/Nene for up to $11.6 million incoming salary. Add Hartenstein out MCW and we can bring in about 12.5 million.

Or we can move out Knight and Melo together, throw in a second and possibly a young asset like IH and take back up to 22.4 million in salary. That could be interesting.

Perhaps mixing up the package even a little more could bring back a player like Harrison Barnes????? That would open up lots of opportunities at the deadline.

Or simply use Knight Melo a second and another asset like IH to get JR and another expiring in the 5 million range. We could probably get Mclemore for that, or another similar sized expiring along with JR or whoever else we could acquire.

Those expirings are deals you could likely wipe away at the deadline if needed. Send JR into Sac cap space with a first if necessary and send McLemore to Detroit or Denver for a second and cash. Ig nothing ever develops right then we drop out of the tax and wind up with one or two nice TPE's going forward.

Or if something does develop between Durant, or Green, or Davis.....we're ready to pounce. I'd take any of them. If....the Warriors get Durant to opt in for another season they may be willing and ready to move Green. We could construct any kind of deal. They want to drop Green out for picks/youngsters and tax relief???? We can deal. If Durant won't commit.....we're there. If the Pels decide to move Davis.. ..they're going Rio have a difficult time choosing Lakers offer over ours. We can throw them an expiring to take Hill off the books and we could give them any combination of Capela/Ego/youngsters/picks they wanted fit Davis. In other words, we can top the Lakers offer if Pels deal Davis.

Another thing to watch for.....

Flipping Ego into a another first round pick and a decent player. Like Harrison Barnes for instance. EGo, Melo, Chriss would be enough salary to get it done. Would Philly or the Spurs give up a first and expiring for EGo? Would Dallas take an expiring and a small asset player like Hartenstein for Barnes?????

I dunno about that one. But.....I can easily see the possibility of moving Ego simultaneously with Melo as well if we can get the right assets back. Barnes and a first, or Beal straight up, or Wall and a first (flipping Wall), for Ego, Melo, expiring.....

Not as likely as the first trade with Knight right now but possible.

The ideal move for us right now is to turn Knight/Melo/second/additional asset (like IH) if needed/ into an expiring in the 12-15 million range and a second expiring in the 5.4-5.9 million range.

At the very least....the very least....We should be able to turn Chriss/Melo into McLemore or Jason Smith and a second rounder. At the very least.

20. tc0330

tc0330 Member

id rather have Hood

BaselineFade likes this.