1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Prepper Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Feb 24, 2020.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You guys are stocking up on the wrong stuff. Concentrate on fever reducers and water.

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

All my years of playing fallout are about to finally pay off.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Have you ever tried to eat BBQ in a mask? This will lead you, believe me, to wonder how Bane got so swole.

I had to wear N-95 for a number of days straight b/c of wildfire smoke out here. Here's the super-stupid thing about those masks for COVID-19:
    * only helpful if sick people wear them. Apparently not so useful if you're not sick.
    * sick people will be having trouble breathing
    * the masks really reduce your ability to breath deeply.
    * d'oh!

When I was wearing a mask properly, it was not fun walking up certain very steep hills in SF, and I'm in good shape. Hills never give me trouble normally, even jogging them.

Nook, CCity Zero and tmoney1101 like this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Costco is like chick-fil-a. It’s always packed. I haven’t seen a run on things yet but if/when it hits Texas officially expect panic shopping.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This might be a good time to check your home preparedness kits in general.

Things like a fire extinguisher or two and diagnosing what type of fire source it comes from could mean big if you're living in your home nonstop with different conditions.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, the n95 masks... Are great for work, but if you're in a contained area ie hazmat/working around patients w/ a serious illness you're probably just as likely, if not more likely to get it (if not trained/properly fitted).. For example, on a n95 mask if it gets wet/droplets on filters etc etc - you'll probably take it off, touch the filter with the contagion and contract it.... I mean assuming that droplets were containing the virus/around you.

Don't get me wrong they're great masks, I use them when needed but they're not going to save you here if you're not readily replacing the filters. I mean in typical use for chemical/paint spray etc etc you'll know when to replace the filter, but on this I see it probably creating issues for most users

I think the masks including the n95 are only good if you have it yourself and not the other way around (unfortunately, and just like you mentioned... Breathing gets more difficult, especially as the filters get blocked), so unless you have like a stock pile and were trained... Maybe... But even then if the R0 is ~3-6 the mask is probably not going to save you. Staying home is probably the best option

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Exiled

Exiled Member

minimum preparation must include plan B :

• rectal suppositories+ mirror
    • cpap ventilator
    • **.ivir medication stuffs,
    • Walgreen

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I was amused the other day driving by the door of an HEB to watch a guy in a mask come out of the store, stop at the hand sanitizer, take off his mask, and then proceed to rub hand sanitizer all over the mask.

CCity Zero and donkeypunch like this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, but how good are you at Division?

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is great, hahah

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

may one inquire as to why?

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

preppers eating peppers.

arkoe likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

still in boulder. I was comparing to Houston when I first started making/canning Mole and ancho chili paste and various arbol and chipotle things, some 20yrs ago. Wanted to grow and dry/smoke my own peppers (like Buck has talked about) ... i was buying a lot. But the Houston climate is just no bueno.

but now, I don't really have room for the setup.

#93 heypartner, Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

My wife wants to go stock up on food. I guess I’ll go buy a few handles of cheap whiskey.

Exiled likes this.
  15. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’ve already taken 5 hits of jet

tmoney1101 likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

I asked my physician cousin what preparation he has or will make for the Corona virus. His answer was interesting...

“Nothing. Not a ******* thing. It is all fear mongering. Nothing can be done to prevent getting it and if I get it I will get over it like influenza. Want to prep? Exercise and don’t get fat like 80% of the assholes you see in Walmart.”

basso likes this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

He's stock hoarding everything!!! Don't listen, guys!!

Hahha, I think he's right though, I'm more concerned for elderly/people with underlying health issues, I think it could be a good idea for them to have some basic preparation/their meds for a few weeks if they want to limit exposure (ie stay away from high traffic public areas), I mean the R0 I'm seeing is no joke for someone with an autoimmune/health issue.

As far as panic, hoarding n95 masks so it prevents people that can actually use them for chemical/construction type work... Or buying medical grade n95 masks and preventing people working in the health field from using them is not a good thing.

The other concerning thing about this whole issue is how reliant we've become for medical supplies coming from elsewhere, I mean if China's epidemic was worse and we lost the ability long term to get basic medical supplies (I mean there's a shortage already), it just shows that the US is not as self-sustaining as everyone believes. I mean the next iPhone release/game console delay or whatever is the least concerning (unless you're a shareholder).

I know it's not realistic to have everything locally but some things really should not be outsourced at the rate that they are.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That's not a smart position to take. If you do get it and have to quarantine at home or if social distancing reaches a level that has you at home for long stretches, you'll need some stuff. Again, if nothing happens, you'll still eventually use your stockpile. It makes sense to me to prepare if you can at all afford it.

(Your cousin should teach bedside manner in med school.)

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Honorable mentions: gta 5, the walking dead, call of duty, world war z.

CCity Zero and tmoney1101 like this.