1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The police murder of Daniel Shaver

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2017.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Cops are not held accountable for doing their job horribly. We see this time and time again.

DudeWah and edwardc like this.
  2. edwardc

edwardc Member

There is no way this officer should have gotten off with killing the guy.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not in dispute. In fact, It's hard to make a case supporting the cop given all the available information but perhaps if the video was highly censored only showing the very end and they zoomed in on the kid's hands as he was trying to crawl, perhaps that's how they convinced a jury that a reasonable person would have thought the kid was going for a gun.

This honestly is the worst example of police misconduct since that case in the Carolinas that has the cop doing 20 years.....and this guy got off.

edwardc likes this.
  4. edwardc

edwardc Member

I liked your response but it not the only case were cops have gotten off the guy in walmart talking on the phone getting killed is the worse than this one for me but that just my opinion.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That guy was actually holding a gun, a BB gun, but that makes it at least a little bit more justified.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

he was inside a walmart with a toy gun on the phone and it had the orange marker on the front of it.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, and there have been shootings inside of Wal-Marts before, so what I'm saying is that since he was actually holding something, it makes it more justifiable than a kid jumping through hoops to comply with many different commands while holding nothing and crawling on the floor.

Both were awful, but one was a LOT more like murder than the other that was more like an idiot cop that was too quick on the draw and mistook a BB gun for a real gun.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

when you have time watch the walmart video again please that cop didn't even look to see if it was a toy he just shot.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How does that dispute me saying "an idiot cop that was too quick on the draw and mistook a BB gun for a real gun."

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

I didn't said it did just shows that there is a need for more training.

#50 edwardc, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As long as cops are cowards. . . .they will shoot first and ask questions later
    and people like Bobby will justify their cowardice by allowing them to get away with it
    because. .. . "well they have a hard job"
    and
    "It's a scare job"
    and
    that is reason enough to allow them to kill with impunity

Rocket River

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, well someone didn't read the thread now did he?

cml750 likes this.
  13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I'm doing research on a novel I'm writing and I've been reading the Facebook feed for the DeBaca County Police (New Mexico). Honestly, you should see some of the ****ed-up **** police have to deal with. I'm surprised that more people in that area aren't killed.

That being said, you have the opposite, also. I don't think the majority of police set out to kill others- but the problem is that, for the minority, or few, that do, the end result is death. And that's a "bell you can't unring," to quote a famous TV show.

Sucks all around. There are a handful of bad cops like this.... but there are also a lot of stupid people who are very lucky they haven't gotten shot. As a liberal, I would never say this unless I actually researched it. It's not all in that area, but they have posts from PDs nationwide with stuff like this:

1. End of Watch: Thursday, July 27, 2017\ Southport, IN PD: Lieutenant Aaron Allan was shot and killed after responding to a crash involving a vehicle that rolled over at the intersection of Maynard Drive and Madison Avenue, in Homecroft, at approximately 2:30 pm.

Lieutenant Allan and a Homecroft officer arrived at the scene and began to check on two occupants who were still in the vehicle. One of the occupants opened fire, striking Lieutenant Allan multiple times. The Homecroft officer and an off-duty reserve deputy from the Johnson County Sheriff's Office returned fire and struck one of the subjects. The wounded subject and the subject injured in the crash were both taken into custody. Lt. Allan is the 72nd Officer to lose his life on duty this year.

2. On April 18, 2017, The Department responded to a call of a women, who had fled her house after her Husband had attacked her with a Battle Hatchet. Lt. Hartigan was joined by Sheriff Harvey and Deputy Campos who were off duty. Officers found Tommy Jacks in his doorway armed with the hatchet threatening to kill officers. Deputy Campos negotiated the release of 3 minor children and later Jack’s surrender prior to the arrival of a State Police Tactical unit.

#53 dandorotik, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

lol, they got off because the victim failed in a high stakes game of Simon Says.

Cops are generally the first responders to the fringes of society. Their job is overloaded with responsibilities many of us don't think twice about.

I don't know how cutting off government services will make their jobs easier, seeing how they're part of The Beast, and how people want them and only them to make the thugs and crooks go away.

Severe Rockets Fan likes this.
  15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Jesus F'n Christ! That stupid ass cop should be tried for murder.

edwardc likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, and that's why I (and society as a whole for the most part) give cops the benefit of the doubt most of the time. That said in this instance, I just don't see how anyone could. He had the kid on the ground face down with his hands on his head and his legs interlocked and didn't just go up and cuff him. Instead he kept changing up his commands having him do different things till the kid finally gave him an excuse to shoot him.

I get why he had an excuse to shoot him but damn man. I don't think I've seen a worse example of a cop fishing for an excuse to kill someone.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Exactly. That was utterly ridiculous.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Good read.

Police officers are there to enforce the law, not to treat citizens as combatants. I think much of the problem is you have people who want it both ways. Considering the vast majority of a police officers interaction with the public is w/out incident, stating they need more training to handle violent situations is implying they need to handle all interactions as a hostile situation. You can't expect an average person to turn off the adrenaline rush from the fight or flight reaction when it only happens on very rare occasions. This is what soldiers are trained to do.
    I tend to disagree with conceal carry for the same purpose. Unless a person is regularly practicing and training with their firearm, they are much more likely to harm someone than save somebody. Fortunately we live in a society where violence is not an everyday thing and most people carrying are only doing it out of unreasonable paranoia.

19. Fantasma Negro

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Let's just get Robocop. Too many cops seem to bottom of the barrel as normal human beings.