1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The police murder of Daniel Shaver

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Dec 9, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

By David French

Warning: video is graphic

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/454504/police-murder-daniel-shaver

More at the link

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The commands the other officer shouted out were not pragmatic commands you would hear from a officer genuinely desiring to de-escalate the situation.

Those commands sounded like an officer trying to scare the victim shitless and demean him.

And this is just one example of why our standards for entry into law enforcement in many departments is laughablely low. The selection process just doesn't weed out the type of individual in it for a power trip.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Would be noteworthy, but the guy is white, so it doesn't matter.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What went down was completely ****ed up. This wasn't a thug getting the short end of the stick. It was pure terrorism and brutality.

B-Bob and R0ckets03 like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I agree, honestly I don't think I'd have moved an inch if I was in that kid's position. I would have remained absolutely still and told the cop that I didn't trust him not to shoot me if I moved. It was pretty clear by the ridiculous commands he was giving that he was just looking for an excuse to fire. When police commands make sense, I usually side with them, but when you are telling someone to cross his feet, put his hands on his head with his fingers interlocked, put his hands straight up in the air, not put his hands down, and crawl, that's some Drill Sgt level f*ck f*ck games and you are best off doing nothing at all.

The good news is that no towns will burn over this so there won't be additional victims created by "social justice"

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you are mentally disturbed

7. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I feel the problem is less who they let in and more what they are allowed to get away with. I served in the Navy and there were some real knuckleheads there but everyone followed the rules or paid the consequences. The police rarely have to deal with consequences and this is the result.

I read something the other day and was shocked, though I'm not sure how true it is. 33% of murders committed by strangers in this country are due to police shootings. Think about that for a minute.

8. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

This guy would have shot you for not complying with his orders and here's the shocker, if he had done what you said and was black you would have called it justified.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree that the police need better standards and better training. To hear this guy operate you'd think he had never trained a day in his life for this type of situation.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, I wouldn't, but I suppose ignorant opinions need to be thrown around anyway.

If you do nothing at all, you remain completely still lying face down on the ground with your arms extended and your legs crossed, they'd have no excuse to shoot you. The reason the cop in this case got away with it was due to the kid putting his arms down by his side while crawling. It's a BS reason to shoot him, but it was deemed legally justified as a result.

If the guy was black, the same thing would have happened, only there would have been a D&D thread about it a year ago and people would be in the streets vandalizing and looting as a result. That would be the only difference.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He doesn't matter to you Bobby? Really?
    My goodness. . . .. you are quite the heartless man

If he were black you could argue race doesn't matter and blues lives matter and take a generally antagonistic position
    but
    since he is white. . .you cannot do that. . .. so he doesn't matter?????

Wow! Just. . . .WOW!!

Rocket River

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Keep making an ass out of yourself you mental degenerate. Even BLM leaders very critical about this case and used it as an example of police brutality. You're such a waste.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just being consistent, I've been on the #NoLivesMatter bandwagon since before there was one.

This guy isn't valuable in furthering certain narratives so his life matters even less than one that might be used to advance political narratives.

Now sure those people's lives matter to their loved ones, but they only way they "matter" to strangers is if they can use the circumstances of their death to their advantage, and I'm just against that.

SirIvyLeague and deadlybulb like this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

You're the biggest piece of **** that posts on here, not sure you should be calling anyone else out.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Wouldn’t matter if he was a “thug” (whatever that means). He was surrounded by officers and was in a well lit area with nothing around him and he was shot 5X by someone that didn’t give a **** about killing him. I would feel the same way if he was a felon under the same circumstances.

No, there is less media coverage because he is white. It isn’t as compelling a story and that is really all the media cares about.

At some point enough people will get fed up. I thought it would be when that South Carolina officer shot a black man in a park running away from him. He was convicted of murder at least but that case is conveniently never discussed.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The media will never say it, but the dude was taking a knee, and anyone who does that deserves to be shot.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, they should teach how to handle situations like this in high school. The kid shouldn't have moved an inch, he should have remained on the ground face down with his hands out away from him or on top of his head and his feet crossed until a cop eventually got tired of playing games and walked over to cuff him. There's a bit of nuance when it comes to these types of situations, you always comply with lawful orders that don't put you at risk of getting shot, you always shut down in one of a few positions and wait to be cuffed before moving at all when an officer wants to play f*ck f*ck games that potentially puts you in danger.

Learning how to deal with police officers, the good and the bad, is one of the most important things we could teach children today. It's even more important if we don't put more of an emphasis on police training and weed out psychos like this guy clearly was.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

There is no way a person of color gets shot in that situation. In a way BLM has had a positive impact.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno man, I think that cop would have shot anyone, I mean he had "You're F*cked" written on the side of his rifle. I do think that due to the excessive media coverage that it would have drawn along with the psycho cop being portrayed as racist that we'd have gotten a guilty verdict though.

As it is, most people won't even hear about this case.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yes, that's true. But that doesn't mean this isn't a horrible crime and one's first reaction is to make a joke about it - especially since BLM was one of the few groups to make any noise about it.

You are a waste of 23 chromosomes.

edwardc likes this.