1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Otto Porter Movement] First it was just an afterthought, then came the movement, and now....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

What I am saying is that Otto's performance and thus team performance will reduce a lot of load on CP than anything BK can do. You are severely overrating BK. He is simply not good.

Sit CP, and let Harden or Gordon run the point with Otto in the lineup >>>>>> Sit CP and let BK run the point.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

IMG_20181118_221929.jpg

I wouldn't want Beal either. That -22 means he sucks. Same goes for that fellow name John Wall.

3. tc0330

tc0330 Member

so we gonna trade for otto or na

4. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I'm very iffy on Otto, and wouldn't trade any of our current rotation players for him including Ennis. A 1st at the most. If Houston trades for him then Morey has to be very confident that MDA will be able to reprogram Otto's tendencies that he's built in 4 years of being a starting small forward.

I would have loved Otto on the Rockets two seasons ago. Super efficient shooter, young, solid length, not abysmal defensively. But we tried the "we can change his game with our system!" approach plenty of times. Some guys are who they are. I'm afraid Otto is who he is.

Otto Porter is a guy who shoots at least 45% from any part of the court, but will happily take 9 shots per game in 38 minutes played.

I do not believe that Porter will suddenly start shooting near 10 threes a game on 38% shooting even though he probably can. Dude is content with his 4 threes per game on 45%. Dude is the broken version of both Kawhi Leonard and Paul George. Imagine if Kawhi and PG only shot 10 times a game, and were average defenders... but still got paid 25 million dollars a season? That is what Otto Porter is. Does that at all sound appealing?

Imagine having a good three point shooter who doesnt shoot threes? Ring a bell? Yeah...

robbie380 likes this.
  5. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

MDA has been able to get guys to play rockets style pretty successfully.

Well except Melo but not that he was around long.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Really hope we land Porter. Would be a star role player similar to Klay Thompson on our team. Offensively, it's as if someone built him to be able to hit all the shots a role player might ever need to hit. He's even well above league average on mid range J's, and that's where he's least efficient. 6'9 with a 7 foot wingspan. Works as hard as anyone can work on a poorly-coached, selfish team (reminds me of Tucker and Gordon in that regard).

To think he has been solid despite every other Wizards role player ever looking terrible tells me he has a lot of room to grow. He is DEFINITELY overpaid, but also definitely has more value to us than most other teams in the league. I would even give them Gordon if it became absolutely necessary. IMO Capela/Porter/Clark is a solid foundation for combating this team's age-related decline.

Rudyc281 and steddinotayto like this.
  7. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

JR is volatile trash... Please stop posting till you learn more basketball... This is terrible.

bilaal14 and steddinotayto like this.
  8. steddinotayto

Here's some reality for the 2019-2020 season, folks:

1920roster.JPG

caphell.JPG

Regardless of whether or not OPM becomes true, the Rockets are in salary cap hell next year. We have very little room--if any-- to improve upon this team via Free Agency.

Here's another dose of reality, courtesy of the 2020/2021 roster:

2021roster.JPG

Even if we decide not to bring Tucker back on his last year, we have about $90 million tied to the Harden/Capela/Paul trio with about 10 more roster spots to fill with maybe 20-30 million in projected cap space.

Point is, we are already ****ed from a salary cap perspective for the duration of Paul's contract. A move for Otto Porter isn't about whether or not he fits the team (he does), whether or not he's overpaid (he is), or even whether or not he can be obtain for crap (he definitely should be). It's boils down to whether or not Tillman wants to double down on his investment because he's going to have to pay a luxury tax sooner or later. If the directive from the owner to Morey is that they need to control cost after this season then yea any hope of landing a top flight player via trade is not going to happen. But if we were willing to trade for Butler and potentially give him a max extension, I'm thinking Tillman is all in on moves that could get us over the proverbial hump. Keep in mind I am NOT comparing Porter to Butler but just stating that, from my vantage point, Morey has the green light to make moves to make this team better (e.g. increase the odds of a Finals berth) even if the financial aspect of it puts us in luxury tax hell. And the addition of Porter to the core of Harden/Paul/Capela/Tucker/Gordon (which also strengthens our bench/depth by moving Ennis to the bench so that) makes our team better. In fact, if you look at the Western Conference right now, you'd be hard pressed to find a better starting five outside of Golden state if we're rolling out

Capela
    Tucker
    Porter
    Harden
    Paul

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

According to Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer, there are "whispers" that the Pelicans are interested in Otto Porter. Porter is in the second year of four-year, $106.5 million contract, and O'Connor speculates that an offer of Julius Randle, Solomon Hill and a first-round pick could work. Porter is having his worst season since 2014 and has often found himself on the bench late in games with coach Scott Brooks rolling with Kelly Oubre and Jeff Green a lot. A change of scenery could be a good thing for Porter, especially to an offense as good as New Orleans, but there's been no indication that the Wizards are ready to deal despite their awful start.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/11/19/18102234/nba-bold-trade-pelicans-anthony-davis

[...]

There are whispers that New Orleans is interested in Wizards forward Otto Porter Jr., who is in the second year of an enormous four-year, $106.5 million contract. Porter’s role has dwindled in Washington; he’s averaging only 28 minutes and has lately watched fourth from the bench as Jeff Green and Kelly Oubre Jr. have finished games. Porter is overpaid, but he’s proven to be an effective two-way player. He could thrive in Alvin Gentry’s up-tempo offense and add another versatile defender at forward for the Pelicans. If New Orleans were to make an offer for Porter, it would need to include over $20 million in contracts. Something like Hill, Julius Randle, and a first-round pick works. Given that Porter would fill a gaping hole now and could be a piece for the future no matter what happens with Davis, there aren’t much better options on the market.

You can spend hours on the Trade Machine and struggle to find realistic trades. Most players that could theoretically be available don’t move the needle. And it’s especially difficult with the Pelicans because their best contract to use a trade filler, Hill’s, has an another season after this one left on it. Teams want expiring contracts, and taking on an additional season could require overpaying. With that in mind, here are a few thoughts on who could help:

New Orleans pursued a trade for Hawks wing Kent Bazemore this offseason, per league sources. Atlanta still wants to get off Bazemore’s contract, which has a $19.3 million player option for next season that he’ll absolutely pick up.

The Mavericks would like to unload Wesley Matthews, but the 32-year-old has broken down in his 10th NBA season. I wonder whether the Mavs would consider dealing Harrison Barnes, whose $24.1 million salary would require a package similar to the one I suggested in exchange for Porter.

I’d check in with the Heat on forward James Johnson, who made his season debut on Sunday after undergoing surgery for a sports hernia this summer. Miami has severe salary-cap issues; unloading the 31-year-old’s remaining contract ($15.3 million next year, plus a $16.1 million player option in 2020-21) would help.

Courtney Lee, New York’s 3-and-D wing, is available. But the Knicks want to free salary for next summer to pursue Kevin Durant, so taking on Hill wouldn’t work. The math from there is pretty tricky: Giving up Randle is too much for Lee, and dealing Johnson leaves them thin on the wings again.

Cavaliers wing Kyle Korver is a solid target, but he’s not solving any defensive issues.

Trevor Ariza would be a better option if the Suns want to flip him and go all-in on the tank.

Same goes for the Nets forwards DeMarre Carroll and Jared Dudley; though Brooklyn seems to be pushing for a playoff spot, its season could go south quickly after Caris LeVert’s unfortunate injury.

[...]

BigMaloe, Deckard, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  10. steddinotayto

What's crazy is that O'Connor threw out the suggestion of New Orleans trying to nab John Wall instead of Porter. You guys want to talk about overpaid?

walllll.JPG

Granted Wall's cap hit is only around $19 million this year so it's financially easier to obtain him than Porter but lawd geezus....if they trade for Wall AND The Brow still bolts.....

#230 steddinotayto, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Porter would be a great fit for New Orleans. I really hope that doesn't happen.

BigMaloe, Rudyc281 and steddinotayto like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ok, the first official signs. The Wizards are OPEN FOR BUSINESS

BigMaloe, Deckard and steddinotayto like this.
  13. steddinotayto

Lol you know what would be hilarious.

Courtney Lee to Houston
    Trevor Ariza to Houston
    Brandon Knight to Phoenix
    Nene, Chriss, Qi to New York

I think this deal should work on 12/15 due to Ariza's contract. Bring back both Lee and Ariza to the Rockets family

Capela/Hartenstein
    Tucker/Clark
    Ariza/Ennis
    Harden/Lee
    Paul/Gordon

14. justtxyank

IB4 "LOL you idiots want Porter when we can get Beal for gordon, Nene and a 2nd round pick!"

15. steddinotayto

Trading Wall should be high priority for the Wizards--even with Porter's contract on the books. The Wiz should have Phoenix on speed dial.

Vivi and justtxyank like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JR, I was just about to come in here and post that RINGER article on the Pelicans.

Basically all of the players (sans Wall) the Pelicans might be interested in, are the same ones the Rockets might be interested in. And they also tried to trade for Butler.

Names like Porter, Bazemore, Ariza, Carroll, James Johnson etc.

Pelicans are a team to watch for sure as a potential other bidder in deals.

Looks like most of their packages consist of Hill (crap filler), Randle (gonna be a FA w/o bird rights) and a 1st round pick.

17. steddinotayto

i would LOVE to be wrong and somehow Morey works his magic to get Bradley Beal for Gordon, Nene and a 2nd Round pick. However, I would LOVE IT EVEN MORE if we were proven to be right that Morey can bring in a 3&D player with scrap parts on the roster.

18. justtxyank

Agreed. Dumping Wall should be priority #1 for the Wizards.

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Morey said something about being the one to find these types of players, not the one that pays these types of players. This guy doesn't move the needle for us.

Corrosion and bilaal14 like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Totally agree.