1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Otto Porter Movement] First it was just an afterthought, then came the movement, and now....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Upsets happen brother. I didn’t say it would be easy. Cousins at even 70% gives us a shot. We can’t just lay down.

D-rock and lionaire like this.
  2. fattz

fattz Member

BINGO!! you get it... you just don’t understand you get it. Porter. We need more Porter type players. If we had keeped Ariza or Luc where would Porter be? Okay... go get more players like Porter then. FIT & FUNCTION.
    No I understand perfectly who and what GSW is. Read my post from the off season they were put together before they got KD. Our only hope of ever winning a championship is being better than we really are and playing as TEAM and chatching them off their best. Yes, I understand —> GSW could beat the East all star team with Labron on that team (that is why they changed the way the all star teams are made —> Labron vs Curry). Hoping against hope they emplode —> they are starting to show signs (hands rubbing together).

steddinotayto and HP3 like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

100% agree. We're pinned to our core with the way our roster contracts are balanced. Any moves that require assets to obtain have to be upgrades. Washed up vets and experiments can be signed or thrown into other deals when the time is right.

steddinotayto likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Who knows? Ariza isnt doing to well and Luc is still injured? I would have liked to kept both but the reality is that they left and they are not players you just find in the G-league either. I understand where you are coming from but my thing is that unlike Melo, Porter actually really fits our system well and he is an ELITE shooter in this league. He would be our 3 point best shooter by far and would really jump start our offense.

I really believe with him, we could probably take GS. He'd be a huge plus for us on the floor. Sure itd cost alot but who cares at this point, we are a win now team, we dont have a choice.

5. fattz

fattz Member

Random thought
    There are 30 teams, 14 spots on a roster new this year 2 TWP spots = 512 active NBA players that’s it, but ever team has players that don’t play for one reason or another on them, too, (5 +/- ). 270 +/- players that may see the court in real season play. I say all that to show there is a lot of talent that is not in the NBA. Think of all of the “ all-conference “ players that come out EVERY YEAR that doesn’t make the league. Loads of skill sets with loads of talent. There is a lot of players that would help us win today that aren’t even in the NBA. The g league is not a place of shame at all. We need to go and find the fit and fiction that completes our team —> it’s there.

We have once in a generation players already now we need to build a team around them.

Don’t spend $106,500,000 over the next 4 years

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmm agree to disagree, I would rather just pay for a proven talent but really I'm not mad at doin it this way at all.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Otto with a -26 tonight

8. aroundtheblock2

Has 3 years and $82 million left on his deal too.

$26 million
    $27.5 million
    $28.5 million

Contract looks worse everyday. I can't imagine Tilman is crazy about taking on that contract.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Would be amazing to get him with a 1st rounder, even if protected for this season or more, not sure the Wizards can't move him without a pick, they probably can but, who knows...i just don't see how they can stay over the luxury threshold for this team...

#209 Vivi, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    joshuaao likes this.
  10. aroundtheblock2

You're going to have to trash our depth just to match salaries. That's the issue with an enormous contract like his.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

While Porter is a terrific player for this system, for that kind of money, you better get a slam dunk acquisition that takes us to another level and gives us a favorable advantage over the Warriors, which I am afraid he is not.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think a package like Knight, Chriss and Nene is enough to get Porter in terms of salaries, i might be wrong but if that's correct we would basically lose nothing.

Pat, BaselineFade, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Good thing we dont have any depth to trash.

robbie380 likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm really worried that Otto Porter just completely sucks ass, and Clutchfans is doing a simple box score investigation to decide if he is really good or not.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  15. apatel123

apatel123 Member

THIS! Mods, you have my blessing to close this thread

16. aroundtheblock2

You'd have to part with a back up guard and a decent back up center.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Without the $$ in mind, I would take Otto over those two any time.

18. aroundtheblock2

So you're okay with CP getting a ton of minutes in exchange for a glorified role player?

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yes, because that backup PG is not good enough to be a backup to anybody on a team like the Rockets.

Otto with his much better performance/contribution will likely mean more rest for CP on the bench.

Dont get too tied up on the position. Harden can run the point.

Also, come playoffs, that backup PG will not get any minutes, while Otto could be killing it for us. Big picture.

I dont have any problems with Otto the player, just his contract. As a player he is tailor made for our system.

20. aroundtheblock2

So you wont get mad when CP inevitably gets injured from playing so many minutes?