1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The One Phone Call the Texans MUST Make...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Cal McNair deserves a shot. Let's see how he runs the organization.

Also, there is always the chance they luck into someone exceptional and grant that person lots of power with success. That happened with the Bears in the early 1980's.

Having said that, the owner in the NFL can be a real hardship or asset....... but sometimes people change or philosophies change. In the case of the Texans, Cal McNair is now in charge. Over time, he may be more or less patient than his dad was.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

A lot more people are unhappy with O'Brien now. Doesn't mean they'll stop buying tickets, but last year most people wanted to keep him. I think that has changed

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just think it’s hard to worry about owners. We can complain about them, but there’s very little the fans can do other than just stop following the team alltogether.

The Texans have never had a bad owner, by definition of what a bad NFL owner is. And their middling “success” has them continuing to have 10 year season ticket wait lists for a football hungry town.

But they’ve been ultra consistent on how they’ve run things since the franchise inception from 2002. It’s a high floor approach, but a limited ceiling. Since the stench from adams has finally all but disappeared, they’re no longer favorable by comparison.

vupac1 likes this.
  4. Damion Laverne

And that's still problematic for me. We drink the Kool-Aid all year only to be hit with a sobering reality early in the playoffs. I'd rather be 4-12 again.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, most NFL teams (let alone ones that are in great football towns) have very little problems selling tickets, regardless of record.

It’s going to be the competitive will of the owner, not finances, that drives decisions (rash or logical).

6. Damion Laverne

But would you want to go out and spend your money on a mediocre product every year? I wouldn't. I'm glad I didn't buy a ticket this past weekend.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There are enough passionate fans out there who will support this team year after year. There are only 8 home games. For most, the experience is more than just about the game itself, and kudos to the team for making the game day experience a complete 180 from what the old Oilers Astrodome gameday experiences used to be.

This is true for almost all teams in the NFL. There are still some questionable markets that will struggle in lean years (Jacksonville), but most franchises have the attendance part figured out (and even if the team is bad, so many teams have enough of a national following that their fans end up buying tickets).

8. conquistador#11

How would that phone call go?
    (to the tune of "Warning")
    Elliot:

"who is this callin' me at 4 in da morning
    don't they know I got to get practice in,
    with Spicoli, I mean Lawrence.
    Fast times at Clemson,
    Heard first hand from Watson.
    Whatcha need is a new system
    keep that week to week offense at a far distance.
    O-line has to play in unison.
    Remember that kid Brooks who got his in the zone scheme
    but couldn't moonlight as a left guard so you got rid of him?"

B.O.B :

" Yeah. I remember him. said my offense was complicated and no longer having fun.
    I'm here to win. Took them from 2 and 14 to reigning ova' the division.
    What more do they want? Even gave them Watt and Willfork in the wild cat
    And they still call me teapot. "

9. Damion Laverne

I appreciate that, but what kind of brand/national following do the Texans have? Not much of one.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The brand will change if Watson can get the team a ring.

The culture change at the QB position is happening, and with sports in general having a minority target audience, the black QB's are going to get more pub.

Cam, RG3, Dak, Mahomes, and Watson have gotten a ton of pub when playing really well as they should get.

The Texans are going to be really popular for the next several years.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I meant that visiting fans end up buying a lot of tickets... more so if the home team is bad and/or they play in a city full of transplants (like Houston).

So, even when the Texans are abysmal, they play to a sellout (even if there are a lot of opposing fans or empty seats of people in the club levels).

12. Damion Laverne

But do you trust this coaching staff and front office to give him the support and development needed to win? At this point, I don't. There's enough of a sample size to say so.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They just won 11 games, dude.........

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Nobody CARES what you think. Beat your head into a wall.....don't care.

Hey Now! likes this.
  15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think Watson's skill positions when healthy is tops in the league so they have aced that test.

The development yes. BoB could be running a college offense, but he has forced him to work under center when it is clear that is not Watson's current comfort zone. Watson has developed from the stand point of taking care of the ball and going through reads.

But...

Until they completely over haul that offensive line, I am worried for Deshaun's future.

They need to replace LT, RT, LG, RG effective immediately. Fulton was not good either for those wondering.

I think they can address all four in free agency and the draft.

Sign Trent Brown or Juwan James.

Draft Cody Ford. Draft Cajuste. Move Rankin to LG

A complete over haul. The lack of talent is obvious.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Give me Munchak please. Make him an OC/OL coach. Anything to get rid of Devlin.

csj likes this.
  17. Theking

Theking Member

Haha! Beat me to it!

red5rocket and juanm34 like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

This question cuts to the heart of the matter.

Nook likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Sure. I expect nothing one way or the other, so why not give Ol' Cal 5 years? I'm starting to really understand the Cub fan's relationship with the Tribune Co. back in the day.

When the owners have their meetings in Palm Springs or wherever, Cal McNair can at least say "thank god for Mark Davis".

Nook likes this.
  20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I only say lets get an OC because I know we aren't firing OB. It's just not happening no matter what people want. That being said, if you get him a competent OC, not really sure what his job is other than motivating (he is actually good at this it seems) and clock management (haha). But, it would still be better. After last night, I am on your side with calling Elliot. That Clemson offense looked insane and ran a lot of plays I think Watson would excel at. Dabo is not leaving for anything less than an amazing HC job so we gotta go with the OC.

I would also love to call Munchak. We aren't going to be able to replace all 5 linemen again like last year, need some better coaching at the same time.

I think we leave RAC where he is and just up the talent in the secondary. I saw this morning that the Texans had the 2nd highest graded defense. Just need some cover corners and we'll be set.

Red.Glare, Hey Now! and Mr. Clutch like this.