1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 10, 2015.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A 9 pm start time, on a weeknight, in Houston is ridiculous.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Especially when the MLS is trying to build a better TV market.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: So what? That's never stopped them before. But the whole Thanksgiving more-than-one-week break is DUMB. :cool:

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So they can get as many eyes on the playoffs as possible? Why would they try to compete with football over Thanksgiving week when they know it's absolutely a losing proposition? Yes, they ignore the international break during the regular season but why wouldn't they want their best players playing in the most important games?

5. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Who can give me a recap?

How good are we this year?

6. SwoLy-D

It's still DUMB. Who gives a crap about other sports? You're either a fan of the game and team, or you're not. SIMPLE. :cool:

Wait, I thought you were no longer a fan. :p WTF are you doing here, man? Hahahaha...

7. Beavis Stiffler

8. Beavis Stiffler

Well they change the time to 8:30. I mean there's not gonna be overtime or extra innings on the 1st match of the series. World Series game 5, for example, ended near midnight time I believe.

[​IMG]

MLS playoff games used to be on the weekends but because of the network contracts with ESPN and FOX Sports, they have no choice to put these games on Mon.-Thurs. instead of Saturdays and Sundays. Only the championship game will be on the weekend.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand the broadcast prerogative, but it's pretty silly. MLS doesn't have enough out-of-market appeal to justify knee-capping home attendance via a weeknight 9 pm start time so that a small handful of people can watch both games on television.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The game is sold out, so it doesn't seem to be hurting them too much

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thought I read that the game is sold out.... either way, just hope for a win and/or a clean sheet :)

12. leroy

I said I was no longer an everyday fan.

My guess is that just about all members of CF care about other sports. You're talking about soccer on a basketball forum. As much love as I have for the game, I'm not an idiot an have at least a little business sense. Putting the playoff games in direct competition with other games that will obviously have a larger audience is DUMB and bad business. They want as many eyes on them as possible to grow the audience...not just rely on hardcore. It's really not that hard to understand...well, for most.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. SwoLy-D

What's the difference? They don't play every day. :p

I was talking about if you're really a fan of the team, you won't give a damn about other sports going on. So what if you're an NFL fan? Go watch it, then. Make your choice. It's a free country. Compete for attention. The DYNAMO will always have mine and no matter what else is going on, I'll watch them. I will never say "I am no longer [an anything] fan", like other people. o_O

14. SwoLy-D

The list of teams firing their coaches after losing to Houston sports teams continues! The latest: Houston Dynamo's last victim!

Cincinnati Bengals OC ()
    Boston Red Sox manager (⚾)
    NY Yankees manager (⚾)
    and now... Portland Timbers coach (⚽)
    Come on, Rockets, do the basketball thing!

Report: Caleb Porter out as Timbers head coach
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-caleb-porter-timbers-head-135550525.html

ramotadab likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

You could have left out the rest and just posted this.

To you or any MLS fans out there; what are the thoughts on Columbus potentially moving to Austin? I haven't followed it much, but I think it's inevitable that MLS moves/expands there. Perfect market for that league.

leroy likes this.
  16. leroy

Not sure. As you know, Austin is not a professional sports town. I was in the soccer community there for 15 years and it just ain't that big. They would have to find a way to get people up from San Antonio...which is going to be incredibly difficult as they will be salty. A team in Austin ends any hope of SA getting an expansion team...and a market that I think is better suited for it.

It's hard to imagine it being wildly successful in Austin, especially if they can't find a good spot in the city. If they put it out by COTA, it's dead in the water. One spot I heard was where Auditorium Shores is now. My thought with that was, "Just how many Austinites do you want to piss off all at once?" Maybe the site of where the Statesman is now would work but I couldn't imagine the traffic hell that would cause.

I know the guys behind the "Bring MLS to Austin" facebook group. They're passionate about it but they've only surrounded themselves with other soccer people. I don't think they have any idea how well it will do there.

ferrari77 likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Look at the Statesman, they're getting seriously serious about it.

Hadn't thought of the SA angle, but with the size of both cities and the in-betweens I think it could work. Talk about a rivalry.

COTA is a dead-end, as you said. They've talked about using the UT field temporarily until they make a home, possibly in that area, but there's been pushback. Like I said, I haven't followed it much, but there's been a serious "Save Our Crew" (Columbus) faction at all of their recent games.

SwoLy-D likes this.
  18. SwoLy-D

Anyone who is STILL AN EVERYDAY FAN selling tickets to the game? I need four more. I'm going, but a couple friends want to come over.

@dumbartonbass , @DrLudicrous, @rhino17 ? What's the word on standing-room only or re-selling?

ramotadab likes this.
  19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

At the start of the season I never thought the Dynamo would make it this far. Looking forward to watching this team grow and hopefully winning The Cup once again.

Go Dynamo!

SwoLy-D likes this.
  20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tough start. Probably need to get three points now...