1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official Houston Dynamo / MLS Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, Jan 10, 2015.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Wow, the game has not been managed well by Wilmer. You get 4 subs and still don't manage to get Monotas in the game

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Elis scores in overtime.

Sanchez used my favorite move in fifa to dump that ball off to Elis, love it

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

This game should be 3-0 right now

4. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I"m really glad to see the Dynamo win, but it's hard to ignore the poor quality of play of MLS compared to the top several leagues in the world. Improvement in the league is still only gradual.

5. Beavis Stiffler

[​IMG]

1st leg is on Monday. 2nd leg @ Portland, next Sunday Nov. 5. If the aggregate after two games are tied, the away goals rule is the first tiebreaker.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This is my problem. I turned it on while in OT. I saw the 2 extraordinarily simple breakaways to put this game away. Both ended in outcomes not unlike my Sunday night 7v7 Over-35 team in The Woodlands would provide. Such amateurish attempts. The level of play has got to be better than that.

Congrats to the Dynamo on getting a playoff victory. I hope they do well and I'm sure I'll get interested if they get farther. I don't like being a bandwagon fan but they just have lost me as an everyday fan.

ferrari77, Sajan and Hustle Town like this.
  7. Hustle Town

I think the issue is much easier access to European soccer than we've had in the past (or maybe I just didn't pay for it). Part of the reason the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL are so popular in the US is because they contain the best players in their respective sports in the world. I'm going to continue following MLS, but it's going to be much more casual than it used to be. If more American players with the quality of Pulisic go abroad, I will almost definitely start supporting those teams instead.

leroy likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

People want to watch a quality product. Once you see European leagues or the world cup and then try to watch MLS, you will see the lack of quality.
    Same reason why people don't watch the chinese basketball league or nba d league. Nothing really to do with the sport itself.
    I would even say it's not just the league itself, people want to see stars. who are the stars of MLS? I can't name one but I bet a lot of people know lebron, curry, brady, or rodgers are. Hell people know Tebow more than any of the mls players.

I will support the dynamo in person by attending a game or two a year but I don't spend a minute watching the game on tv.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Agreed. I've started following Dortmund because of Pulisic. I watch the EPL more regularly than I did in the past. The MLS was getting better by leaps and bounds every year...but they seemed to have plateaued. I've seen teams other than Houston play and there definitely is some talent there. They need to slow the expansion down and let the current teams fill in better...instead of continuing to water it down by adding teams every year.

mtbrays, ferrari77 and Hustle Town like this.
  10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'll always support the Dynamo because they are a Houston franchise. I watch the EPL every Saturday, Champions League and Serie A when its available and the quality is infinitely better. But I still have a hard time investing myself in a team that isn't from my city. I've followed Chelsea for a decade now and I still am not attached to them the way I am the Rockets.

K mf G and ferrari77 like this.
  11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Gotta disagree re. Chinese basketball league or NBA d League.
    The Chinese league isn't shown on American TV. It isn't for Americans. It's the equivalent of MLS in Basketball. The Chinese fans watch and support their league but also LOVE the NBA. Kind of like MLS and Euro leagues.

The D-League/G-League is a different analysis. It's for those that want to watch up and coming players or in some cases minor league play(since it's a bit like minor league baseball). In the future, if things work like the NBA is trying to make it and young players that would be one and done start skipping college, sign pro and play in the G-League before making the leap to the NBA, it will be a way more interesting product to watch on TV.

The Stars of MLS? Giovinco from Italy, David Villa from Spain, Dos Santos from Mexico. Those are the foreign stars. But it can't always be about the established stars for a league like MLS. They have to create or buy new stars or budding stars to sell for a profit because they will most likely always or for a long time have to be a selling league.

Main thing is you support by attending a game or two. That deserves kudos imo. Even if you don't watch on tv. It's all good. The product they put out needs to be better but at least they are competitive this year even if the standard of play isn't fabulous.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

First leg against Portland tonight

I hope Wilmer starts both Elis and Quioto start. The offense is a lot more dynamic with both of them on the wings. I would also consider going with Mauro up top, Cubo has been in a weird funk for weeks now. Idk how healthy Alex is, but he needs to be the 2nd central midfielder with Cabezas, Rico was totally out of control for the majority of the last game.

13. Beavis Stiffler

Disappointing result, much rather have a 1 goal lead than a draw heading to the return leg because of their below average road record. I guess any road scoring draw will do (1-1, 2-2, etc.) but still they need to take some risks getting more players forward and in the box for the last 10-15 minutes.

ferrari77 likes this.
  14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That field looks atrocious. It was embarrassing having that on tv.

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:( Losing AJ De La Garza has cost us. The counterattacks usually started with one of his defensive plays.

[twitter]

[​IMG] :D

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Looks like Tyler Deric is gonna miss the rest of the playoffs after being arrested yesterday

17. Bob Barker 007

Clutch City is back! The Dynamo have advanced to the Western Conference Finals after a 2-1 road victory against the Portland Timbers. Are the "sports gods" going to balance this Houston victory by having someone be injured for the season? :D

Hustle Town and clutch citizen like this.
  18. Hustle Town

Dynamo have to be the most clutch franchise. Even when they look like they are half-assing the regular season, they are almost always successful in the playoffs.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'm going to the game on the 21st. I'm wondering why such a long wait until the next game... and even then, the lengthy wait AFTER the first leg! :eek:

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm not sure but I think there is an international break, I know Honduras has a WC qualifier against Australia next week, that would keep 3 Dynamo players out of the lineup