1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How you figure? No one offered more than a 3rd.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Clowney obviously made a great play yesterday. He made one tackle but he isn't playing linebacker. As a fan im really torn on giving him up. I didn't want him and was highly critical when he couldn't get on the field but changed my tune when he started making plays.

That being said i just dont know if he does enough. Khalil Mack is makes his presence felt play after play after play.

He is great against the run. The Texans were 13th in rush defense last season.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

In terms of ypg? We had the 3rd best run defense last season. It’s early but we’re 16th right now.

csj likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thanks apparently i wasn't looking at the correct category

5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Draft compensation for leaving

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yeah...then why hold on to him? If u are not going to pay him, he is unhappy, and no one is going to offer more than a 3rd....why keep him? Hope someone becomes desperate? You got a 3rd and Jacob Martin for him.....just move on.

7. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Melvin Gordon was unhappy.

It sounds like BOb got desperate to trade him for pennies on the dollar.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Melvin Gordon is a under contract for 2 years before he gets to FA. BIG Difference.

9. Stoli

Stoli Member

Just watched part of Seattle-Los Andeles game, and I'm still really bummed about the trade. Clowneys good for at least a few great athletic plays per game.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not $16 million (or $20 million wants). It is amazing how he disappears in games.

Severe Rockets Fan and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Stoli

Stoli Member

Yeah, but under the franchise tag tho? At least he'd help us this year. Hell, even as a situational pass rusher he'd give us more than Mingo and the other guy we got in trade. And we're still paying Seattle half of Clowneys salary anyways. So it's only like $8 more million for this one year. What are we supposed to do with the unused cap space for this year anyways?

Nimo and Sooty like this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The unused cap is rolled over to the next year. That will be used to sign Watson, Tunsil, and others. Also, used to sign FA cornerbacks that will be needed next season.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

THAT IS BIGGEST CROCK OF **** I'VE EVER HEARD. He CHOSE not to put in the extra work. His teammates wondered why he chose this offseason to FINALLY work on his pass rush skills? He had one of the hardest workers in the NFL on the other side of the D-Line, yet, he didn't know he needed to put the extra time in? He is FULL OF ****. Yeah.....all that extra work, don't see it in the numbers he is producing.

Amazingly, his replacement is putting in the work and getting BETTER results.

When Seattle doesn't pay him, let's see what he says then.......

BigShasta and whag00 like this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Move FKING ON. we had a sht trade to get rid of him, u tell others like me to move on yet u don't follow your own advice what a hypocrite.

Nook likes this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

When Clowney says Bullshit like that, it deserves a response because we know it is not true. His work ethic has been questioned since College. Myself and other defended him. Well, we were wrong.....

Blatz likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1317 J.R., Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    rfrocket likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO and they really thought he would sign the tag?

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, this is kind of BS. They ask him what he has learned that he hadn't learned in Houston and his response is that he learned how to stay late and come in early so he can "do extra for your body"? He needed to be taught that? Sounds to me like the culture there in Seattle is such that all the top players go the extra mile, and they put that expectation on everyone else. So Clowney, because he was the new guy, followed suit and, lo and behold, it had results. So now he's treating it like a revelation that he just wasn't taught when really it was just his lack of motivation when here in Houston.

I'm glad they didn't sign him to a huge contract. I think he's a really good player, but he won't live up to the kind of mega star deal he was seeking (and may still get). I just wish they had managed to get more for him than they did.

20. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I CAN'T BELIEVE Obie could be so stupid/arrogant as to tell him that BEFORE he reported and signed the tender.

Arrogant, Incompetent, and Two-Chinned is no way to go thru life Son!!!