1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Skipped the press conference

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also sprinted off the field as the time expired and the teams were doing the post game handshake ritual.

Houstunna likes this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This is pretty much the gist of it. You at least want give yourself and your teammates a shot at making a play. People make mistakes and $hit happens, but trying to defend it by saying it's the right thing is just silly.

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

If any team signs him to $100 million contract, it will be mostly based on hype and potential, because he certainly hasn’t produced like a $100 million player.

No Worries likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His production is similar to Khalil Mack's who is older than Clowney and who just signed a 141 million dollar contract. If you get Clowney for only 100 million, it's a steal. I mean 100 mil is what JJ Watt got back in 2015, so that's below market value for a player who produces on Clowney's level.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I guess Tom Brady is also a mental midget because he's skipped a press conference too.

Lebron James also skipped a press conference before.

I'm not really sure how this makes someone a 'mental midget' sounds to me like a player that just isn't in the mood for answering questions.

Sure it's the right thing because it works more often than it doesn't work.

If you think it's the wrong thing then maybe Watson should completely change how he plays then, right? Watson does this continuously, all game long, and when he gets sacked it looks bad but when he slips out of the pressure for a 20 yard gain everyone praises him for it.

Clowney always tries to jump the snap, 9/10...it works out for him. He relies more on his speed than his power. Getting on him for the one time it doesn't work out for him is sillier to me.

7. mario_v

mario_v Member

Out of 50 snaps, he might make a play or two, but clowney just doesn’t get consistent pressure on the qb.

He just can’t seem to shed off blockers. A lot of his plays come when he’s left unblocked and has a clear look at the qb.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His job isn't constant pressure on the QB, there's a lot of snaps where he's sealing the edge, and he's one of the best at doing so in the NFL.....but at the same time he still provides more pressure and blows up more plays by himself than the vast majority of the league. I think the problem is that he doesn't have the sack count and unfortunately that's all some people look at. More nuanced stuff like how many times he's blown up plays and caused sacks, interceptions, or TFL's that he's not credited for oftentimes will be overlooked by most fans.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You're completely ignoring situational football with this argument. This isn't asking someone to completely change the way they play by any means.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Brady is a sore loser and spoiled.... just like the city he plays for.

LeBron is scared of FTs late in games.

Clowney lacks technique and has been clearly surpassed by two other defenders from the same draft he was first pick.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Texans leading the Super Bowl 21-17, 1 minute left. Other team has 4th and 1 from the Texans 6 . Clowney jumps the snap. First down, eventual TD, Texans lose 24-21.

Stay aggressive even though your head coach has publicly stated you need to focus on not doing that.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The situation was there was one yard to defend and they had loaded his side so were likely going to run to his side and so he had to get a really good jump.

I mean, offsides and false starts are the most called penalties throughout a game because both linemen are trying to get a jump before the other linemen...telling him to not try and get off the line as soon as possible is just silly.

Well, I never said that Brady wasn't spoiled, just that skipping press conferences doesn't make you a mental midget.

I mean, you guys realize that it's on the dlinemen to predict the snap count?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_(gridiron_football)
    I guess Clowney should never try to predict and jump the snap ever again.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Another team may see Clowney's "flaws" and think that they can fix them.

This might turn out to be ... Mario Williams part 2.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Or they might fix them

No Worries likes this.
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If signing him stops us from improving our oline, i advise not to sign him. He's good at defense, but i rather improve the oline to compensate for the shtty hc playcalls that puts Watson and offense at a disadvantage.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Has there been a defensive player drafted high (or number 1 overall), that was not re-signed by the team that drafted them, and went on to find a ton of success elsewhere?

Just recently, there have been players who have had more success than Clowney had (Suh comes to mind) that were let go, but between Miami and LA, he really hasn't returned to an all-pro level.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll post his head coach's comment again in case you missed it the first time.

“Guys that play like he does – he plays the game in a really attacking way, and so people are going to use their cadence against him and he’s just got to be really focused on that," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said."

But you posted a Wikipedia article that offers the definitive statement as to how defensive linemen should play, so I'll take that over BoB.

Nimo likes this.
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Now that the coach has thrown him under the bus (deservedly), are they going to address it? This is a "can we teach Shaq how to shoot free throws" moment for them.

The other side of this is can we get Deshaun to become good at drawing offsides and neutral zone infractions? Luck got Clowney 3 times in Indy in September too.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'll also quote the coach, but this time, I'll quote him being specifically asked about this play.

“Look, he’s an aggressive player, and you never want to take away that aggressiveness," O'Brien said of Clowney. "In that situation, he made a mistake. I’m sure he’d be the first to tell you that. Andrew did a good job on that play. They did a good job. JD’s a very aggressive player, he’s made a lot of plays for us. We didn’t lose the game because of that.

I quoted wiki because you are asking for him to never try and predict the snap count again.