1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The official don't re-sign Clowney thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2018.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I really don’t get how a neutral zone infraction has anything to do with coaching... I mean are you suggesting that the coaches should have told JD to make sure he doesn’t jump offsides? Or are you suggesting that the coaching staff isn’t holding players accountable for mistakes?

Because JD already knows he can’t jump offsides in that situation but he was eager to try and make a play and made a mistake, not sure how coaching changes that... and it’s not like we can afford to bench guys like JD for these mistakes so I don’t see how they can hold him accountable for it.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

The point isn’t to not resign him but not resign him to 100 mill

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then it's the same as saying "Low ball Hopkins and see if he signs anyway" or "Low ball Watson and see if he stays anyway"

If you aren't willing to pay the market price for top players, you might as well be saying don't re-sign them.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Fair

5. body slam

body slam Member

I've been all for trading him in the other thread. I'm not going to say don't resign him, but I will say don't over pay to keep him. I would make Honey Badger my top priority and worry about Clowney later.

6. theimpossibles1

You always want a guy to jump and get called for NZI? Always?? Even when it literally costs us the game?

Therefore he DID NOT do the right thing. If you don't execute, that means you made a mistake.

We agree with your argument that yes, he absolutely needed to be agressive in that situation, but he must simply WAIT FOR THE BALL TO MOVE. You are understandably trying to justify his mistake, but choosing your words just horribly.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not only that but he's lined up IN the neitral zone at least five times this year. Mental mistakes. Not in the coaches.

Jake Tower likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

That's exactly what I'm saying. His production is not going to be worth the market price. I get it, he strikes fear in the opposing defense. He stops the occasional run. He's still not worth market price.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

If this was the first time. And if it has just been him. But this is not the first time and the other aggressive DE (JJ Watt) has gotten a few called against him too.

Obviously Clowney already knows he shouldn't jump offsides. I would hope he wasn't trying to jump off-sides. He is doing something wrong. Help him fix it. Give him some tips or some tools to use. Or else some other team will sign him, coach him up and he'll become a DPOY.

My guess is, they love his aggressiveness and have been willing to deal with a few penalties here and there. Hopefully, they got past that today.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, I don't agree that he didn't do the right thing. He did the right thing but just didn't execute it. It's like if Harden passed up on a contested 2 pointer to kick out to Gordon who then bricks it. Harden did the right thing, it just didn't work out.

It would be like 2 strikes, Springer at the plate, would you be mad if he just stood there and swung for the fences? He's trying to tie the game and being aggressive.

Maybe I worded it wrong if people think I'm saying that he should jump offsides...I'm saying that he should be aggressive, especially when defending one yard with the game on the line.

With that said, we spend so much time wailing on about BOB not being aggressive enough and here's a player willing to take a big risk to try and make a big play. I think Clowney has enough clout to pull it off.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Game could’ve played out a number of ways. But there was only one way to end the game right then and there and without even having to snap the ball.

Never said he’s stupid and by no means am I putting this loss on him but this was a game ending mistake. Not sure what there is to argue about that.

12. theimpossibles1

This statement makes no sense. What he did was jump offsides, clearly not the right thing.

What you are trying to say is being aggressive was the right thing. However, he was too aggressive, which resulted in him doing the wrong thing.

#52 theimpossibles1, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  13. Two Sandwiches

As a defensive end, on third and one, his job is to secure the edge.

On a third and one, the likely play is to run up the middle or throw a quick developing play action pass. Neither one of these plays necessitate Clowney getting an otherworldly jump. The guy has enoigh talent to watch for ball movement, as he's been trained to do his entire football life, and then get off the ball and make his play.

Instead he was playing hero ball.

No reason to defend this.

He did not lose the game by himself. The entire team played poorly. His quarterback played terribly but just needed a chance to get the ball back to have a shot at a win, and Clowney denied this chance by trying to play hero ball.

All that being said, it's a short week, time to move on. We're in no worse a position as we were yesterday. No harm no foul. Except would should have gotten a jump on home field.

We all need to unitenas Steelers fans next week.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

How are you so sure of the play-call?

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right way to end the game was to not even be in that position. We had countless chances to not be in that very position...and Clowney was just the last guy to make a mistake to put us in that position. Before that, other penalties and missed tackles put us in that position.

Doing the right thing is all about intention.

Again, Harden taking a step back jumper is the right thing to do. Just because he misses doesn't then make it the wrong thing. This is not how coaches operate.

You don't tell Springer to swing for a HR and that he has the greenlight then when he strikes out admonish him for it. That takes away his aggressiveness and sends mixed messages.

If you look at how the Colts lost their first game and everyone trashed their coach..the players all LOVED the decision. They did not care at all that it didn't work out, they cared that the coach tried to win the game and gave them a shot to do so.

This isn't even that big of a deal, BOB wasn't even asked about it, when Watt was asked about his reply was "He was called for offsides, that's what happened."

All of that is assumed though, we have no idea what the colts were going to do or if Clowney's job was to contain. If it was to contain then yes, the Colts, with how aggressive they are, could have saw that drive as a 4 down drive anyways.

He played hero ball yes, but you don't play hero ball and win without losing sometimes. He did so after the rest of his team failed him, he was not even bad at all today outside of this one mistake. Watson's hero ball over and over again what hurt this team the most today.

People are just mad he didn't make the play.

This reminds me of people getting on Lebron for either taking the game winning shot or passing the game winning shot. If the play fails then everyone looks back at it and says it was the wrong thing to do when really all that happened is someone missed a shot.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even though he's one of the most productive defensive players in the NFL? Sorry I very much disagree.

17. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

U R REaLly dUm

18. Two Sandwiches

Great and thoughtful comeback! Wish I would have thought of that.

BeardSanity, Nook and J.R. like this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

From earlier this season...

“Guys that play like he does – he plays the game in a really attacking way, and so people are going to use their cadence against him and he’s just got to be really focused on that," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said."

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm in the franchise him/trade him if he doesn't report camp. The other option is to front-load his deal when they should have ample cap space in '19. They have leverage with the tag; use it to try and get him to take a better-than-the-tag deal that is still team friendly in terms of allocation and length.