1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The next Klan Lives Matter Rally: Sep 11th, Texas A&M University

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

So what do you expect to accomplish by counter protesting them? Do you think you're going to change their minds? Are you doing it for moral superiority and solidarity? All you're doing is giving them the attention and conflict that they want.

Your voice is far more effective by taking their power away through legal means. That means voting for representatives who don't empower them. Don't support the businesses that support them. You can speak to small groups to try to change their opinion, but you're not gonna have much luck at one of these rallies.

The Stig likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't know the best course of action. I see what you are saying and part of me agrees with that. At the same time, I see far too many people who believe there isn't really racism anymore, and not counter-protesting and putting up resistance only encourages those folks. We saw in Virginia that not only are there racists who are active, they are still willing to murder.

So it is dangerous to let folks continue to pretend like racism isn't a factor anymore.

3. Buck Turgidson

To be fair, these assholes have been marching here and there for years, as far back as I can remember. They never got any real coverage, but everyone knew they existed. Back in the late 80's-on everyone made a huge deal out of the "Michigan Militia" and groups like that. This is not a new phenomenon.

The biggest change is that the President of the USA has one of their people as his "chief strategist", and he's got that other weasel Miller kid in a position of power as well. That makes a difference.

Invisible Fan and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think it's a great post, D.M., but I think people just want to say they "did something" in bad times. There is a growing pressure on the left (social media particularly) to stand up, speak out, and be counted. All these comparisons come spilling out about this is the time you'll ask about for the rest of your life -- why didn't you stand up?

My hope is mainly for a nonviolent movement, but there are just enough a-holes on the left that this is going to be hard. (In the Bay Area, where I live, they are literally anarchists in some cases, and I couldn't think less of them than I do.)

As Buck said, since the POTUS is legitimizing these alt-right groups (and he really has been -- I don't think it's even arguable), people feel an urgent need to speak out. That tiki torch parade, denouncing Jews in raised voices, mind you, was a lot larger than any such gathering I'd seen before.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're underestimating the threat, bigly. The internet has allowed them to organize in a very sophisticated way, basically in secret unlike 20 or 30 years ago. You can see even here with RussianLegend, he's an unhinged nut. Imagine 200 of him, or 500 of him coming to your town ready for battle with their swastikas, glocks, shields, masks, clubs, body armor, and AR15s. Meeting them face to face in the street is to show we're not intimidated. That they're the minority and that we're much stronger than they'll ever be. In our absence that evil grows unchecked. We're in a different time with a President who is their defender. A white nationalist is the President's chief strategist, seriously? It's a dangerous time and it's going to get worse the longer this goes on. Watch the video, particularly the guy at the end with all the weapons he has on him and his desire for a white homeland. This isn't going away because you choose to ignore it. Don't fool yourself.

TheFreak, mdrowe00, MadMax and 3 others like this.
  6. The Stig

The Stig Member

Didn't this get canceled?

Do we have any lawyers on here? I wanna take a stab at building a case against something like this (all hypothetical and maybe simplistic but hey, I'm here to learn). Here goes:

A&M needs to deny them (KKK idiots/protestors) access (the permit to assemble) to the campus and surrounding area, citing public endangerment and security risks to be the primary factors. They can use the footages gathered from the Charlottesville rally to justify their position that this rally could put current students and innocent bystanders at risk. Lastly, they need to find some evidence of counter-protestors who have a history of violence, like an antifa would suffice, and use their history to justify that the counter-protestors are a public endangerment and security risk too. The case against this rally can stand if they can prove that these two opposing groups are going to be there at the same time. Could that be enough to shut down an assembly like this?

Edit: So what are the mentality of the lawyer if they're building a case against the assembly? Can you use historical references as proof that XYZ can happen? I would like to hear some perspective on this.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Look I think as we have very few generations left that will remember the civil rights moment as more than something abiut a guy the street is named after, I think folks like me known enough about MLK and John Lewis and co and realize that standing aside in times like these just doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Heros like Lewis won't be alive to tell their story forever.

There is something to be said about giving these guys a platform. I get that. I think everyone whose not a racist Trump fan wants them to be irrelevant the fastest way possible. It's the responsibility for activist groups to ensure they contribute to that end goal and not give them a bigger platform. If that means not showing up to counter protest then they have to consider it.

I have to say though out of fairness. 778 events were carried out on Sunday through Indivisible vigils with hundreds and thousands of people at every event with no one hurt or arrested. Many of my friends that went to the one here talked about how great it was and how it helped them get that counter anger cleared out of their minds. I think there just isn't enough credit given to the hundreds of thousands who peacfully protest. Unfortunately all the right wants to acknowledge is Antifa.

B-Bob, mdrowe00 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's a great post, I don't mind the counter protest, the police need to do a better job. Keep them to separate areas.

I do think there is a purpose to it.

If say 500 people show up to a nazi rally...and the counter protest is 1200 people...you have at least shown that these people are few, that they do not represent the community. There is a momentum here that has to be stopped, they even understand that, that's why they do this. They want to normalize their ideas again and show young impressionable white males that they are not alone and can come out of the closet per se with their ideas.

So I don't mind them, they just need to be separate events.

These WNs do think showing up in numbers helps, I think it does too, it shows others who may be on the fence "Hey, there are lots of people that believe in this and that's alright."

Invisible Fan and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. conquistador#11

I Kiel a natzi for fun but for a green card and a couple of rockets tickets I carve up real nice maine. no, but why are anarchist considered left? Anarchists want no order just watch everything burn. You can say that those that dont like trump but voted for him anyways because they were tired of the 2 parties, are at heart anarchists. Not judging, the chaos is tremendous

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. marky :)

marky :) Member

That would be hilarious to see since Rocketslegend is actually a minority.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

If watching white supremacists demonstrate make you want to join them, you are one of them to begin with. How can people be on the fence about being a Neo Nazi, if you are on the fence, you are already gone to a point where counter protests will not change your mind.

I don't have problems with counter protests at all, but these always end up in chaos and violence because there are people on both sides that went there just to bait out a fight. I don't want to see more people getting hurt, it's really pointless.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

This would have been a great opportunity for the Corps guys to threaten someone with their swords...other than cheerleaders, that is.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Because, they are trying to recruit young people.

If you are like 16-23...your views change...a lot. Many young people may consider themselves a hardcore liberal/conservative and completely flip. Your views change a lot over the years man, over big stuff. I was a Christian when I was around that age and dropped that whole thing.

There have been MANY stories of racists dropping racism, so yes, there are people on the fence about it for whatever reason. You have Robert Byrd who was in the KKK and dropped racism completely over the years. There was a guy, a story of a kid that was part of this movement, who believed this crap for a long time until he went out into the world and actually interacted with people of other races, he wrote an article that must have been on the atlantic, a really good read about how or why a kid falls into that line of thinking. I forget his name though

At the end, they are young people, trying to find out about the world. Don't just let them get snatched up by these nazi's. That's why I'm for the counter protests, there was a video of black man calmly discussing issues with two white nationalist protesters, you can see they were both having a good time. It's things like that which change people's minds about minorities IMO. This is why you hardly ever hear about racism in sports or the military, these people interact with other races, they come to learn that anyone can be a cool dude and anyone can be an ass.

In the end, there is power to numbers. If suddenly it even appeared that white supremacy was normal, cool, and oh look at that rally it had over a thousand people in it! There are many people that would consider joining it, especially if they think it benefits them. That's where you are at the point of no return, when people think something like that benefits them and thus it isn't even about race anymore it's more about just getting yours and F everyone else.

Hakeemtheking, CometsWin and mdrowe00 like this.
  14. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

And yet we keep on doing it. This is a sensationalist world we're in.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Both wings of extremism feed off of one another, that's why you'll hear about events like this from the extremists here whereas you'd likely have never heard about it at all if not for said extremists.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Don't be a Sucker . . . .

Rocket River

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Him claiming anything about himself has to be taken as seriously as all the 100% fake tripe he posts and never retracks. He is most likely a white Russian getting some pathetic pay for posting here, with rewards every time someone replies to him. Look at his freaking join date and welcome him to your ignore list.

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. hlcc

hlcc Member

I just watched the video. These people need to become more consistent with their message. In one minute, they are claiming the communists & bolsheviks are their enemies. A minute later, they are now claiming the capitalist class & bourgeois are their enemies............. huh?

19. conquistador#11

"trump" holding another "rally" in less than 6 days in phoenix. Mayor says it's too soon.