1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA's pursuing a vote on NBA Draft Lottery reform before the start of season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Sep 7, 2017.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#1 zeeshan2, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    ghettocheeze likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know there's been a ton of proposals and theories on this, etc.

I will say this. Tanking is a bad feel/look, but moreso to me because of its impact to non-tanking teams, when by the time a team starts tanking it is later in the year and the schedules are then HIGHLY unbalanced. So if the Spurs play a tanking Suns team 3 times in Feb. or later, and the Rockets play a Suns team that is still "trying" 4 times before February, it's big imbalance.

But... THAT said, a team usually starts tanking because they sucked earlier in the season anyway.

It's only logical to me that a team that sucks should have a higher chance at picking high in the draft. What's worse than tanking? Seeing a team that perhaps otherwise would be picking in the 10's-20's getting a high pick.... unless its your team.

Also, tanking teams still have players that play and are motivated to get better and get paid, and have coaches that coach that theoretically are motivated to continue to coach and get paid.

So you end up talking about what... one team, the 76ers.... where the success of that process hasn't exactly been amazing.
    And then you might have a3 year rebuild period for a squad.
    After that they shouldn't be trying to tank actively... if you end up with a team that sucks for a while and continues to get top picks... well, that sucks for them, but clearly they haven't gained much advantage, lol.

The biggest "travesty" of the draft lotto system in its entire history probably would be the Spurs getting Tim Duncan. Not that that situation has happened a lot (or more than once) either, but I'm more pissed about that then the 76ers tanking.

4. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Not suprised. KD showed the league that it's fans are stupid enough to follow it's story lines, regardless of how fake they are.

Might as well systemically eliminate any means of parity at this point. There's tons of upside with nearly zero down side risk.

5. what

what Member

When they come up with a no superstar can leave a small market team rule, maybe it makes sense.
    The NBA is ultimately entertainment tv and they have their blessed franchises, so sure let's also take away the draft as well.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they're treating the symptom but not the cause.

teams are tanking, doesn't mean you have to stop tanking. you have to stop them from WANTING to tank.

why to they want to tank? because there is no parity. there are super teams and there are tanking teams. the cause of the tanking are the super teams. end the super teams and it will end tanking.

here's how to do it:
    1) raise the max salary so its impossible to fit 3 max contracts on 1 team. or if you manage to fit 3 max guys, you can't surround them with any other talent.
    2) harsher luxury tax. it was meant to keep all owners spending the same on the roster, but now its just about which owner is rich enough to pay it, which is exactly what it set out to avoid. it needs to be much worse on the wallet.
    3) hometown teams need more of an advantage to keep their star. the 5th year means nothing. no one wants it anyway. they need to be able to pay more money upfront. a lot more than an opposing team can.

MoonBus, jim1961, Tha_Dude and 4 others like this.
  7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The NBA...
    • Gives Cavaliers 3 first-overall picks because GM LeBron needs trade assets for his return to Cleveland.
    • Makes Lakers Great Again with 3 straight second-overall picks for GM LeBron's Hollywood debut.
    • Complains the draft process is unfair.
    Screw this.

8. malakas

malakas Member

I don't think it will pass.
    Just thinking..Teams that should vote against it :
    Boston, BKN, Philly, Orlando, Suns , Lakers, OKC, Bulls, Atlanta, Pacers, Kings..then there should be some small market teams that also vote against it like Charlotte, Milwaukee, Minny, Denver, Memphis, NOP..

And that suggestion by Simmons to not to be able to pick top 4 two years in a row for me is even worse. A rebuilding isn't completed in a single year. Maybe if it was not pick top 5 for 3 consecutive years.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well they never got that "let's not screw up the cap and give a 73 win team max cap space and render the playoffs unwatchable" proposal, but at least now those 28th vs 29th best team matchups in april will be superexciting. silver's on top of things.

also took a whole season of teams sitting out primetime games before he figured out it was a problem.

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not seeing the connection between lottery reform and big stars leaving small markets. Big stars can leave small markets regardless of if there's lottery reform or not. There are plenty of small market teams that would have their chances at a high draft pick improve due to this sort of change.

ghettocheeze, Easy and heypartner like this.
  11. Steve_Francis_rules

Breaking News: League announces Warriors and whatever team Lebron is playing for will alternate receiving the #1 pick for the next six years!

francis 4 prez likes this.
  12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. what

what Member

So they can farm those picks for the next 7 years only to see them move to a big market. The nba free agency and draft all cater toward big markets already, and that's a fact.

14. DFW_Rockets_Fan

DFW_Rockets_Fan Contributing Member

I do not have a problem with teams focusing on rebuilding; example 76ers. I do not like teams towards end of the season virtually losing on purpose. My proposal, do not base draft order on a single season record. Look at past 2 or 3 years records. Also, incentivize winning at the end of the season by giving bonus ping pong balls for wins after the team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Imagine you hired someone like Billy king.

He sucks and ruins everything.

After you fire him, the new guy comes in and starts to right the ship.

But, you have to completely rebuild and move bad contracts and make up fothe lost picks.

So 2 years in, you have flexibility, no bad contracts and all your picks going forward. You don't have any talent or youth tho and destined to suck balls and be a horrible team.

You finally have hope tho for a future but come draft time, you get a crappier pick and some up and coming team like philly who barely missed the playoffs wins th lottery.

So where is the benefit?

The problem is teams not being able to retain elite talent. That needs to be fixed.

#15 BigMaloe, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    MoonBus likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you mean teams *not* being able to retain top talent?

Shouldn't drafting teams have an advantage to reap the benefits of the prime years vs free agency and large market money ruling the day. In your scenario, what if the Billy King replacement actually got the top pick and he was an elite #1 player. Then he just loses him after 3 yrs because you made reform to prevent the drafting teams from having a CBA advantage to resigning draft picks to their second contract.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. what

what Member

I think it is so effing stupid that Silver is worried about talentless teams not giving it their all, but is absolutely fine with kd making the playoffs irrelevant.

Silver is so worried about teams with no stars killing themselves to win against an all star team like gs. Lol, pitiful.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I surely meant they can't keep. Bad grammar on my part.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Free agency, sure. But the fact that the draft exists by default cater towards small markets. Everyone gets a chance. Still don't see why small market teams would be against lottery reform.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK. But I feel the league agrees with you in the last CBA. They started the Designated Player status to allow drafting team to offer a super max on the second contract or extension, and that was a Compromise with the Union to keep RFA unchanged, which gives draft teams a great adv.

Not much they can do to interfere with the third contact beyond Bird Rights. There I agree with the Union that players deserve and earn freedom eventually. Blocking superteams is another issue.

BigMaloe likes this.