1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The NBA Storyteller- Kawhi's escape from the Spurs' Cult

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swiss Roll, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

The butthurt is strong with the YouTuber...

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

*utterly*

3. jayland

jayland Member

I guess you can say Pop runs the team like a cult because he runs it military style. The military itself is run like a cult that trains soldiers to follow orders obediently and to kill strangers on command without question. Obviously not the most fun style to work under but generally it's fairly effective for it's purpose.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I stopped watching at this dude blaming the Spurs for "burying" Paul Gasol. The Spurs are the reason an ex-superstar for some crazy reason, just started declining at... 36 years old. Lmao

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

the only chance I would read this is if I'm at Walmart in a crowded cashier lane and the choices for gossip magazines shelf are limited between the Kardashians and the Spurs,I probably instead would finally grab the Tide cleaning pen

dreamshakin, BigShasta, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Scientology is very successful and depending on what your goals are (obviously killing folks is not either of our goals, but it was the Manson family's) the Manson Family was successful too. Cults don't mean that you have failure as an organization, it means you're controlled by a puppet-master to some extent. The Spurs are probably not a cult, but they probably display some cult-like behaviors.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's a good point. Success is relative to what the goals of the organization are. But, I guess my main point was that criticism for the Spurs cult seems a little contrived. Winning championships is a measure of success that EVERYONE can agree on. In fact, I would argue that a lot of coaches demonstrate these kinds of behaviors.....it's just that Popovich and Belichick have seen success at a much higher clip than the rest. While a certain personality profile might thrive in SA, the same can be said for Houston, GS, Bos, etc.

8. don grahamleone

So as long as you're agreeing that the Spurs might still be a cult atmosphere, we're on the same page. But they're still evil and we hate them, right?

[​IMG]

The Spurs get sucked off by every motherly organization in the media as is. We don't need to forgive them if they did any wrong. We should point fingers, blame, dismiss their chips and only celebrate our own team with our chips, right? We're fans of their enemy here right? And we still hate them, right?

Fyreball likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You just take their rings from them. You dun need their logo, their black and white colors, their fans, the Alamo, Riverwalk, Sean Elliott and Bruce Bowen.

Has a nice wife tho.

[​IMG]

10. don grahamleone

Sean Elliot's wife has a douche for a husband.

pippendagimp and slothy420 like this.
  11. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

He has a good point about the marketability of the Spurs star player.

Jontro likes this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe a little less ego on his part? Maybe he bought what Pops was selling? In any case, he's won several championships and had a pretty long career, so his decision to accept the 6th man role seemed to work out.

Jontro likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He started in their 2nd title with him.

Remember, he was a 25yr old rookie, so the bulk of his career he was in his 30s. And much of the reason to moving him to the bench (after starting for awhile) was because of Michael Finley. Pops decided to bring the better of the two (Manu) off the bench, when Finley was still a legit starter in his own right.

The first title he was a rookie, so understandable he didn't start. He was the starter for their 2nd title with him, in his peak (age 27). He also started the year after their 2nd title, when they lost to Mavs. But for their 3rd Title (Age 29, against the MDA, Nash, Amare team), Pops decided to switch to have the older Michael Finley start, and it worked, along with the PHX suspensions. Gino returned to starting in the playoffs (2010, Age 32) when Finley got too old (and PHO finally swept them), and he started both Reg Season and Playoffs in 20011 (age 33). Then Gino in his older age got nagging injuries a lot, so went back to the bench.

So, he's remembered as 6th Man in their 3rd title, but that was a not-so-shocking strategic play to balance minutes with Finley, and many forget he was the starter for their 2nd title. And we forget he went back to starting in his early 30s, before he got too old, and Pops started managing his minutes due to nagging injuries. Their 4th title he was 36yrs old.

Jontro likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Parker wants to retire a Spur. People who run-away from cults, often return when they find out how cruel the outside world is. :D

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/08/22/charlotte-hornets-tony-parker-plans-retire-san-antonio-spurs

Is it possible that you will retire as a Spurs player in the future?

Parker:Yes, I will retire as a Spurs player.

And Parker doesn't rule out going back to the team that launched his pro career.

Do you still have the possibility to return to the Spurs?

Parker: I will never say impossible. Now I have signed a two-year contract with the Hornets, and no one will know about the future.

Parker signed a 2-year deal with the Hornets and will rejoin former Spurs coach James Borrego who is the new head coach in Charlotte.

But San Antonio will always be in his heart.

Parker:I always love San Antonio and the Spurs.​