1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The most disappointing/overhyped Astro players in history...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Tomstro, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, I was replying to a long-time, well-respected, fully-engaged Astros fan who nonetheless misconstrued what happened, so......

Oh, you mean the one that's only been talked about for 40 years?...

I would wager the Astros trading a definitively great player, in his prime, who would go on to be a defining player of his generation, is far more well-known than the behind-the-scenes machinations around a largely forgotten expansion draft involving three players, the most famous of which is probably the guy who coined the phrase, "Operation: Shutdown" - wouldn't you?...

BTW, true story: at the time of the deal, most felt the Astros had fleeced the Reds.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Lol. You seriously refuted what I said.

The guy who wouldn't eat, sleep, or be near merry.

Lol. Consider a different position.

3. awc713

awc713 Member

There are really two classes of disappointments. Bona fide major leaguers who just didn't produce and prospects who could answer the call. Most have been named, but I'll throw out one more: Aubrey Huff.

I also had high hopes for Charleton Jimerson, Taylor Buchholz, Ezequiel Estacio, Troy Patton, and Hirsch as others have mentioned. Man, Burke seemed like the real deal, as did Singleton and Reed. Thought Bogusevic was gonna be a stud after we drafted him.

Tomstro likes this.