1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The most disappointing/overhyped Astro players in history...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Tomstro, Jul 19, 2018.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mark Appel, By far the worst in History, Astros fans hyping and forcing the Astros to pick him.
    I never liked the pick. A year later Appel had an awkward delivery, plus didn't have location and not much plus stuff. No bulldog mentality. Forrest Whitley I was ecstatic when Astros picked him
    The Year Carlos Correa was selected I was shockingly Happy Astros selected him, I didn't watch the draft knowing I would be disappointed in Astros selecting Appel over Correa, I checked Astros webpage, Timezone reason I live in Pakistan, I grew up Houston. I had a huge smile, fist pumping Astros took Correa he was ranked 9th but I knew he was special at that time only 17 years old and looking like a young Alex Rodriguez.

Houstunna likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Astros fans did not force the Astros management to draft Appel.

RKREBORN, The Beard and Tomstro like this.
  4. raining threes

Pitchers

Richard
    Redding
    Wade Miller
    Cosart

Position players

Thon
    Anthony
    Wallace
    Melusky
    Heep
    Lemongello just because I like his name
    Chris Holt

I'm sure there are many more but Honorable mention due to who was traded.

May
    Helms
    Stewart
    Mayberry
    Cuellar
    Guisti
    Staub

5. raining threes

Gotta love the name Puffer though.

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Miguel "ground into a double play" Tejada

Jake Tower and lnchan like this.
  7. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Thon was great with a non fractured eye socket

Houstunna and raining threes like this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I can't believe we essentially gave up six players (including the release of Everett) for him.... And nearly traded Oswalt and Everett for him several years before.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Lower expectations are easier to meet...

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

But why would anyone’s expectations have been low? He was killing it until he got here. Killing it dude. I remember we were all pretty damn excited. Nobody saw his sharp decline coming.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Jamie Mouton
    Eric Anthony
    Daryle Ward
    Tim Redding
    Scott Elarton

Cameron Drew is my most disappointing. When I heard he got hurt the second time I just knew that was it.

Carlos Hernandez is my second most disappointing. He looked like he was going to have a really good career.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Without reading any other posts, the thread title immediately brings to mind Scott Elarton. Had the pedigree had the stuff, just no results.

Others that proved it at every level but the majors? Carlos Hernandez, Jason Hirsch, Jordan Lyles, Chris Holt. More recently, Singleton, Martes, and Reed. :(

raining threes likes this.
  14. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

Load em up lidge

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Low-balled? Like, when they negotiate their salaries these days, or?.....

Also, I know there's a lazy default among far too many fans that Houston sports is this widely-ignored/disrespected/underserved wasteland but, uhm... both guys are in the Hall of Fame - it's really hard to argue they're disrespected.

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

This is a difficult one, I think it depends on how you define it.

For me, Richard Hidalgo is at the top for a number of reasons.

The Astros were willing to move Bobby Abreu in part because Hidalgo was the gem of the organization from the first time he played until he started roiding.

Hidalgo had a gun in the outfield. When he was young he was very quick. He also was a very instinctual outfielder that had gold glove ability. He didn't have his first full season until he was 25 in part because of malaria (he almost died) and other injuries.

In his first full season he had an OPS of 1.028 with a 313 average, 118 runs scored, 122 rbi and 45 homers with 44 doubles and 13 stolen bases. It wasn't a fluke either, all the talent evaluation and scouting was accurate and he would have another season with an OPS in the 950 range.

However, he was done as a good player before his 29th birthday...... when it was all said and done, he had two very good seasons and that is about it. He had First Ballot Hall of Fame talent and is the only player I know that ruined his career with steroid use.

I would argue that Cesar Cedeno was disappointing as well. He was a multi time all star but should have been a Hall of Famer.

As far as other ones that were baffling.......... Daryle Ward. He could just naturally hit, and really the only thing that kept him from being an all star was his love of funyans and weed.

Appel is obvious. Eric Anthony was a disappointment as well, he was along with Greg Vaughn, the top two prospects in baseball. However I don't think it was Anthony's fault, I don't think the scouting was all that great.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The first big Astros disappointment in my lifetime was Jim Clancy. Holy crap, that guy sucked for the Astros...after being really good in Toronto.

Houstunna likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

This isn't wholly accurate... They didn't "move" Abreu - they left him unprotected in an expansion draft. And while it's easy to filter the decision down to Abreu or Hidalgo, the other option, had they been bold enough, would have been to leave Derek Bell unprotected while keeping Abreu and Hidalgo. It's the kind of progressive thinking I guarantee you Luhnow would employ (though, obviously, baseball thinking has evolved significantly) and it was a decision that always haunted Hunsicker. And it's not self-righteous hindsight, either - Bell was entering his year-29 season and had been a fairly pedestrian ML'er who still had two more years on his contract.

Bell was *very* good in '98 - but there was at least a small chance that Bell's age + salary would have given either expansion team pause to draft him whereas a young stud like Abreu or Hidalgo would've absolutely been gobbled up.

One of the more under-the-radar bad decisions in Astros history.

19. Buck Turgidson

Not sure how under-the-radar that one is, only been talked about for 20 years.

You want an under-the-radar bad decision? Keeping Wynn and trading Morgan when management decided they had to separate the 2 because of off the field shenanigans.

20. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Carlos Hernandez was going to be my answer. He would flash greatness, and had tremendous stuff. I could have been way off base, but I was hoping we had a left handed Roy O on our hands. Then he slides into second...