1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Formal Impeachment Inquiry of Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Sep 24, 2019.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Biden might get a bump in the polls.

We will see.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously?
    There is a big risk this could backfire on the Democrats. Further this could also open to further investigation of Biden. The only reason Pelosi has agreed to this is that many moderate Democrats in purple districts said we should move forward with impeachment.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But you can imagine Biden doing it without any proof

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The clinton playbook is being thrown at biden. Risky move but trump and co don't shy away from such. Uranium one anyone? Don't be a sucker.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is a difference between personal gain and US policy. Trump supporters won't understand or refuse to understand this difference, while Rudy is back peddling and trying to protect himself and trump with that very distinction.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump’s base is stupid and uneducated.

DD

CometsWin and vlaurelio like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

.....And that it's you know, the morally, ethically and legally right thing to do

But please don't let me get that in the way of your horserace triangulation super-analysis!

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

There's a reason they're bigots and racists

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yesterday's announcement was like setting the time for the start of a marathon. Everyone is giddy.
    But for someone who experienced Watergate let me remind you this will be a long and tedious process that will have a new nuanced story and rebuttal everyday for the rest of Trump's Administration.

Trump won't resign, The Senate wouldn't remove him. This is an election exercise, airing the dirty laundry of: dark Money, foreign influences, the President's sexual peccadilloes, the 'catch and kill efforts to cover it up, the President's business practices including tax avoidance, the powers of the Presidency and the limits of that power.

Hold onto your wigs and keys!

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Meanwhile your republican congressman are hard at work using your tax dollars...

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The philosophy I support is that you do the right thing and take whatever consequences(good and/or bad) come as a result.

They've already looked into Joe Biden. I hope if Biden did something wrong, he is investigated and prosecuted. However, Biden didn't really do anything wrong. Biden told Ukraine the exact same thing every other allied nation of ours told the Ukraine. He didn't do anything different than those guys. It was consistent with our allies and the administration's policy.

However, I welcome any investigation into Biden. If he did something wrong then he should be held accountable.

RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You know, so much focus on Biden as if he has this locked down, he doesn't. This is a close race.

One thing this may do is just let Warren slide in there. She's the one not mentioned by any of this and as this continues she looks like the clean candidate. What I'm saying is if Warren wins the primary and goes against Trump none of this has anything to do with her and she can continue to play the role as the change that Washington needs.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. mick fry

mick fry Member

[​IMG]

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure anymore. Like a lot of these purple Democratic reps, I was on the fence about an impeachment inquiry. But, if the whistleblower's complaint - not a transcript of a call issued by a White House that recently lied about weather reports to protect Dear Leader's feelings - is true and damning, then President Trump deserves to be impeached by the House and Republican senators who have aided and abetted his manifest unfitness for three years deserve to have that black mark formally on their records forever. This isn't just about 2020: it's also about the Ted Cruzes, Tom Cottons and Ben Sasseses of the world having to run on their record of supporting this demonstrably unfit man, whose natural impulse is to break the law and benefit only himself, when they decide to seek higher office. The GOP will someday try to sweep their support for this man under the rug and pretend it never happened. A Senate vote for acquittal mitigates that effort we all know is coming.

I was also worried about the effect of impeachment on voter turnout. However, I've come around to the idea that it might not matter as much as we thought. President Trump has proven to have a very consistent floor of support, about 38-40%, and a very low ceiling. Who are the undecided voters that will be moved to vote for him solely because of an impeachment inquiry, but were unbothered by any of his countless embarrassing and scandalous actions over the last three years? I am not sure that bloc exists in meaningful numbers. Hillary Clinton lost Michigan by fewer votes than the number of people who attend a Pistons game against the Hornets. She lost Wisconsin by 25% of Camp Randall's capacity.

The fear, to me, shouldn't be that an impeachment inquiry helps turn out voters for President Trump; they were going to vote for him anyway. Rather, it's that the Democratic Party would look soft and not show people in those states who didn't turn out in 2016 why they should vote this time around. Exposing the president's personal corruption and presenting them with policy reforms that fight the forces negatively affecting their lives could inspire turnout that sat out the last election. Part of Trump's Rust Belt appeal in 2016 was that he was an outsider who would fight for the common man against institutional corruption. He has proven to be a fighter only for himself, using political and moral corruption as his tools.

RayRay10, Rashmon, SamFisher and 2 others like this.
  16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

transcript is out

nothing damning in it from what i've read. foreign leaders sure do kiss alot of ass though

Silent_Bob likes this.
  17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Which is cool because there will be a lot collateral damage in the meantime which is why he was elected in the first place to drain the swamp.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

he actually was that stupid. Can’t believe he actually released it and thought it wasn’t so bad.

So Pence and McConnell 2020?

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

Do you think it matters?

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

not to dems , but to independents and republicans it does.

mick fry and Silent_Bob like this.