1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The economy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Aug 18, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

https://www.project-syndicate.org/c...-fiscal-deficits-by-joseph-e-stiglitz-2019-08

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Trumps perceived biggest strength is actually his greatest weakness if the Democrats are smart with educating the 60% of Americans that don’t really pay attention on a daily basis.

Trumps moronic economic policy should be the core focus to move voters in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Penn. And that messaging should start now. Tom Steyer has a very far reaching tv spot platform that can really help now to hit those areas with messages and facts about Trumps weaknesses on the economy. I hope he’s blasting those key states now even if he’s trying to get elevated to the top 5 candidates. I think he can do that and at the same time really help the party in general which is a positive that other candidates cannot do at this time.

3. foh

foh Member

4. fchowd0311

Did you read the article? Or did you control f "Obama"? Summarize the article.

5. foh

foh Member

Haha. Why exactly do you expect me to summarise it for you? I read articles on benefits of trade wars before (@atlantic), I am ok for now. I MIGHT read it later. If you wish to summarize it though, I'm all ears. I am not about to waste time on an unknown to me source that doesn't even seem to address my question. Thank you for understanding

6. fchowd0311

So you didn't read it. Okay. So why even reply to it. Reply after you read it. Or don't read it and don't reply. Don't care either way.

7. foh

foh Member

If you don't care, then why reply with a link...

It is a common courtesy to provide a summary of an article you suggest people to read. See @NewRoxFan posts for reference.

8. WNBA

WNBA Member

UNFORTUNATELY YOU HAVE TO SELL AMERICA TO FINANCE THE PURCHASE.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

"Why this is all not front and center in the Democratic candidates’ campaigns is a bit of a mystery."

lol. Because dems plan to raise taxes to pay (insert stupid handout) and pay for every illegal who wants to come in (future voters)... and let the rich continue to get out of paying taxes.

11. NewRoxFan

Its always someone else's fault...

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Immigrants have made America better than most Americans.

Immigrants work hard and don't complain. All Americans do is complain. Americans get more handouts by far then immigrants.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There are two economic stories going on. 1. average joe sixpack and his millennial kids 2. the investor class, and they are very different in terms of economic security and quality of life. Joe's kids are probably going to be the first generation in 100 years that will be worse off (buying a house, retirement savings and pensions) that the one before.

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Everyone is rich, they can all eat cake.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/trump-says-recession-isn-t-151539954.html

President Trump isn’t worried about the economy. No really, he isn’t. Everything is going to be fine. Seriously. All of that talk of a recession last week and over the weekend, spurred by a few ominous market indicators, a sputtering global economy, and Trump’s continuing trade war with China, was overblown hype peddled by forces that want nothing more than to make the president look bad. After all, how bad could things really be when we’re all so rich?

“I don’t think we’re having a recession,” Trump told reporters on Sunday in an attempt to quell fears over a potential market crash. “We’re doing tremendously well. Our consumers are rich. I gave a tremendous tax cut and they’re loaded up with money.”

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Educating people who don't pay attention should be easy. ;)

We'll probably see a lot of that in the general election. It's the primary now, so it won't really move a voter to pick Democrat 1 over Democrat 2.

I don't blame him for the irrational confidence. When the market loses confidence is when we'll go into recession, so he'll blow all the sunshine he can to make people think and hope that the gravy train will last just a little bit longer.

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I think you are right.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Educating the masses is the most difficult aspect of our society. Nobody should underestimate that notion when it comes to addressing real problems. Climate Change being a big one, or our economic ticking time bomb we've been sitting on since Reagan. How we break through in messaging is key, and we should learn from the most effective messengers in our current society and in politics.... which is the billionaire propped up grifters in Washington who know exactly how to get messages to stick.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

In fairness, it is part of why rural white America hates immigrants. They are willing to work harder for less.

19. NewRoxFan

trump/fox&friends messaging feedback loop...

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Define: The Economy