1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The BOXING thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Angkor Wat, Jun 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

LOL Amir Khan accusing Anthony Joshua of smashing his chick and got a divorce

2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

His brother Vitali was the truth it's a shame injuries robbed him of maybe being a top 5 heavyweight of alltime.

He had that kind of talent imo.

He had the entertaining style, threw a lot of combinations unlike his brother dr. Steelhammer.

But back to his baby bro

Congrats on the HOF career and truly one of the most dominant eras for not just heavyweights but all of boxing and sports in general.

Aj will carry on were u left off.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The leadup to that stupid Mayweather fight completely eclipsed the Ward/Kovalev II fight from me. I had no idea it happened until yesterday. Seemed like a short turnaround for a second fight, but maybe it wasn't. Either way, it was another great fight between a puncher and a boxer. The puncher has some skill but the boxer broke him down. Great fight, interesting result. Both fought well.

Replay is on HBO Go if you haven't seen it yet.

Yung-T likes this.
  5. don grahamleone

Too bad we never got to see Mayweather vs Valero. Edwin was a smart boxer.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Ward/Kov II happened well before the lead up circus. Ward didn't even bother turning up to organized media events. Roc Nation just doesn't know how to promote boxing. The guy they have running it has no idea. Besides the Roc Nation Sports president accusing Kovalev of bullying him in front of his daughter there was no promo at all.

Yung-T and don grahamleone like this.
  7. don grahamleone

That's a shame... it was a good fight.

8. what

what Member

I think canelo can beat Floyd at this point.

9. hhh345

hhh345 Member

Some really good fights tonight on HBO, but i think HBO has done a terrible job promoting them and even the GGG vs Canelo.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Now that Floyd is 40....maybe.

11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Chocolatito....damn..... what a fall from greatness. In hindsight perhaps he should have waited and watched the other guy fight someone else just to get a better scouting report. Anyway I guess that's the end of Roman Gonzalez.

12. cebu

cebu Member

the only time to beat Floyd is at first fight. second time you're like 95%solved puzzle. you can't take that from Floyd, he's that good.

ipaman and MadMax like this.
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Kinda missed that Loma will fight Rigo on Dec 9th, easily the best fight in years quality-wise.

14. what

what Member

I like Rigondeaux, but his fights are even more boring than Floyd's and that's saying something.

In boxing these days, the best fights are against no-named fighters, which I wish they would put more cards on like these. I used to watch a lot of minimum weight fights because they were easily the most entertaining.

There is really not a big named fight card that interests me at the moment. And despite people saying that Canelo and GGG was a great fight. I think boxing fans have such a low bar right now that any semi-competitive fight seems AWESOME. Canelo/GGG was an okay fight.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Guess it depends on what you want to see in boxing, I just love to see savvy boxers like Floyd, Loma etc who master the art of defense, movement and smart countering. Boxing is an art to me and they've mastered it, I prefer it over typical brawls (which are still entertaining and I'm not trying to talk punchers down).

ipaman likes this.
  16. what

what Member

The trilogy between pac and marquez (I know there were four) was a boxing display we might not ever see again. these guys were laying careers on the line.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Bit out of nowhere, Ward announcing retirement:

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
    To the sport of boxing – I love you. You’ve been by my side since I was 10-years-old. You’ve taught me so much. You’ve humbled me. You’ve promoted me. I’ve sacrificed a lot for you, but you’ve given me more than I ever thought possible. You gave me a platform, made me a champion and helped me provide for my family. I am forever grateful to you. You and I will always be synonymous, connected at the hip. Thank you for all the wonderful people I’ve come in contact with because of you. I’ve made friends for life. As I walk away from the sport of boxing today, I leave at the top of your glorious mountain, which was always my vision and my dream. I did it. We did it.
    From the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone who has played a part in my journey. You know who you are. I could not have done this without you. I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there. If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting. Above all, I give God the Glory, for allowing me to do what I’ve done, for as long as I have.

Andre “S.O.G” Ward

18. Mr. Space City

props to ward.

great career. made a lot of money and goes out on top with his health still intact.

the exact type of career you'd want as a boxer.

Yung-T likes this.
  19. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

Cant wait for this fight

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

This press conference for Eubanks vs Yildirim was hilarious. Turkish dudes(not Yildirim)...just too funny how heated he decided to get

Yung-T likes this.