1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Bogut Effect on GSW's OG Motion Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 19, 2019.

1. smokieethabear

But Utah is ded... .

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

MDA coming into the office at a leisurely 10:30, seeing Bzdelik and Rogers leaned over a monitor with mattresses lying on the floor.​

MDA: “Were you guys here all last night, again?”
    Rogers: “Yeah, just some early studying of the Bogut Effect from last night’s game.”
    MDA: “Maybe let’s focus on game 3 of a 7 game series against Utah, which takes place tomorrow night.”
    Bzdelik: “We can do both @ktex. cfnet never sleeps.”​

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I've been watching Bogut during Warriors plays.. that dude constantly sets moving picks and he also holds players that chase after he sets the pick.

The Mavericks were right to come down on Yao Ming for his moving picks. The NBA should come down on Bogut for the same thing. If it's in the rules, call it. He's clearly stretching the rules for an advantage.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do the Rockets really want to play that card?

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

rules exist simply to filter out and suppress undesirables, such as the houston rockets

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. don grahamleone

Good point but I believe the nba already ruled that what Harden is doing is legal. They’ve also ruled that what Yao Ming did was illegal.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

These are 50/50 judgment calls, though. That’s why the Warriors can get away with it when they do it possession after possession, and frankly that’s why Harden can get away with it too (not just the delayed gather on the step back, but also the push offs with his left shoulder to stagger his defender).

8. alethios

alethios Member

I saw a lot of moving screens last night by Bogus and it made me think he'll get away with it in the series with us too. I mean it was blatantly obvious what he was doing and still the refs looked the other way.

9. don grahamleone

Good point on the shoulder thing. He also does that hook thing going up for the layup.

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

One big thing to note about the power of Harden and the legal separation he gets with putting his head down and driving with his shoulder is THAT is the answer to anyone who says hand checking would stop him. You get too close and he powers right by any hand check or attempt to body him.

It’s almost contradictory to say he can unfairly stagger these guards (who are bigger than in the 80s/90s) yet also say aggressive bodying of other eras would stop him. And further, would anyone even whine if he did it in the 80s?

He has demonstrated it, too. This isn’t a theory. He gets hand checked or otherwise bodied enough through the years (even this year) and puts his head down into it and you’re toast unless you back off. That’s why he puts his head down and faces defenders. You can’t even reach his hips to push once he does that.

BigMaloe and Nook like this.
  11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The bogut effect was addition by subtraction after cousins was out.

It actually forced to speed up Durant and the middle has spread for Durant.

Durant had actually had to work harder and harder the offense goes through Durant either Durant doing Kobe fadeaways in high post. It's a thing of beauty for them.

Cousins was the team's key free agent signing so the offense was running inside out with cousins.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Only thing that worries me is the Zebra's.

They'll call phantom fouls on the Rockets and let GSW get away with murder.

13. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

I saw Bogut switch onto Gallanari at one point during game 3. Gallo didn't take advantage of it but just imagine Harden or CP3 getting that switch. That's easy buckets. The GSW know this, so I don't think he'll get much PT if we were to play them. Looney gives us more problems.

14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

The switching negates a lot of the screens... that's why we perfected it and why we beat them 3-1 this year... if not for refs, would have been a sweep. Bogut's butt can't moving screen two people. Unless they got green and bogut together... could be possible. They could be like an offensive line.

BigMaloe and heypartner like this.
  15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

If Bogut plays, we'll just put him on an island with james, then capela will run him out of the arena. He old and used to play in half court sets. Capela is gonna suck defenders into the lane, then someone just needs to get hot on the perimeter. Looney, we can take care of on PNR. Just need to get him in foul trouble... switch cp3 on that loon. Pump fake in the lane, he'll bite.

rhee and heypartner like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Song of FIRE and ICE.

Rox are Fire, GSW Ice. Epic battle.

Danny haters are there as many as Harden's. j/k.

17. kevtse

kevtse Member

Watch out for those dirty moving screens

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

What's the fun in that? Let's look past the j*zz to the 2nd round!

We all know we gone win.

the11mingdynasty, BamBam and Reeko like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

I was wondering whose arm he was going to try and twist backwards.

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Let's be honest - the main issue vs GSW is going to be if Chris Paul gets injured and we're stuck with Joe Johnson running the point guard spot while Harden gets his rest.....

Sure, Klay, Steph or Durant will go off, and they'll win a game or 2, but I don't see how they'll beat us? Length to guard Durant might be an issue, but again, last season we just let him go and it only helped the Ws in one game.

I prefer facing Bogut to Looney. Looney is some kind of Harden kryptonite - he and Draymond are allowed to body and whack him whenever he drives, so he gets stuck on 3s. I dunno, maybe the floater changes everything?