1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you 2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jul 8, 2018.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you want to live a longer life carry! I'd rather face a court than get put in the ground. Make sure to kill the guy though because they can't testify in court.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to live a longer life, don't go around attacking people. It's really not that complicated.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I agree but only when it comes to the act of defending yourself with a firearm. I'll pull the tigger against any act of aggression.

If I'm unarmed then I'd rather not take my chances because of the law.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The law in Florida likely won't protect you against just any act of aggression, you have to be able to say that your use of deadly force was in order to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm. There are many acts of aggression that do not rise to that standard. The reason this guy has a case is that he was recently shoved to the ground and he was about to get his ass kicked which would likely cause great bodily harm. You can try to make that case for someone just acting aggressively, but you run the risk of ending up in jail.

crash5179 likes this.
  5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This is a fact.

74 year old Curtis Reeves shot a man in a theater in Florida and was arrested and denied a “stand your ground” defense by the judge.

My basic stance is if you don’t want to get shot don’t put your hands on people and don’t assault people. Just because someone is being an asswhole doesn’t give you the right to assault someone. Each case should certainly be ruled on a case by case bases but if you were the on that initiated physical violence then I would be hard pressed to find the person defending themselves guilty of murder.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I would look into them as they are all very related. The stand your ground being the most written for innocent victims of the three. The duty to retreat is a horrible law as it requires a jury to think what a reasonable person would do in a situation that is by definition unreasonable. It's very easy to say just get up and run until you realize getting soccer kicked into next week can easily kill you.

There are plenty of ninja/mma experts on this board who talk about how cowardly and big of p*****s people are but in the real world being at a huge disadvantaged position is bad news.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There are always going to be individual cases where guns are used for legitimate self-defense and where guns do harm in the hands of a criminal or just negligent person. The country of 300million people will offer a big sample size for a variety of events to occur.

So, it's not an all or nothing issue with respect to the impact of guns-- need to look at the overall picture, this is what statistical analysis is for (ask Daryl Morey). The policy debate also isn't all or nothing. Just like it is with motor vehicles and a variety of other issues, there is a wide range of regulatory options-- none of which of solve all the issues but can still represent useful steps toward balancing the interests on all sides and minimizing harm.

Nook, Kim and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So if someone says something that instigates a physical reaction, the person committing the physical act can be within his rights due to the “fighting words” law? And, similarly, if a “stand your ground” law is also in place, the original person who made the offending remark.can shoot the guy who reacted?

The two laws seem incompatible to me, but maybe I’m misunderstanding their application.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should meet in Florida.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Again, her mistake was not carrying a firearm and shooting the man when he approached her. All she had to do is say she feared for her life. The fact that he was armed and approaching her was enough.

The man made a mistake to shove him. Instead he should have carried a gun and shot him. That's standing your ground. Turns out it would have saved his life.

In Florida, you must carry a gun, and use it at the first sign of your ground being stood upon by someone else. Someone rings your bell - shoot them. Someone calls your mama a name, shoot them, because that is reason to fear.

Seriously, I am not joking. The law is clear. Shoot first ask questions later. It's about time we got back to how things used to be.

13. Bandwagoner

Seems like a threat to me Psycho Lou 4 2. Why not keep your insanity contained to terrible BBS posts?

14. Bandwagoner

I don't think Stand Your Ground would apply. It is a very weird thing. Fighting words is a bridge to far for me, I think that should be taken care of with a harassment enforcement. Screaming obscenities in someones face with intent to start a physical altercation isn't free speech in my view.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You better stand your ground!

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You can shoot anyone in a confrontation in florida because the burden of proof is on the dead person.

For instance, bang-a-wangoner comes up to you and says, "hey durvasa, want suck me?" - you can shoot him. That's because you can say you heard, "I am going to shoot, durvasa"

Your word against a dead man. You win. Stand your ground baby!

17. Bandwagoner

@durvasa don't take anything I said as legal advice and don't take anything Sweet Tard has said as anything more than ramblings of a lunatic.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This one is clear - the shooter will go free, since he was assaulted and was under threat. The shooter is extremely lucky the video exists - it exonerates him. ...otherwise if there was no video, the liberal outrage crew, BLM and the whole crew would be marching in the streets, claiming racism and launching their pity party yet again.

If I'm the shooter, I'd also consider pressing charges against the dead guy's girlfriend, for her role in his assault by her boyfriend.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lmao you got bent over no lewb dude. Just move on.

20. Bandwagoner

ESL classes didn't pay off I guess.