1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thank you 2nd Amendment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crash5179, Jul 8, 2018.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like another case of when 2 douchebags ran into each other and one was foolish enough to assault the other. If you want to live a long and healthy life, don't assault people, they might kill you for it and they'd be justified in doing so.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Putin show you long healthy life. We make NRA like KGB. Ah I mean KGB like NRA

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If the guy had reason to believe his life was in danger then what’s the issue? I didn’t read the details of the story so I don’t know if the guy had reasonable cause to shoot the other man but the tweet doesn’t exactly give enough of a description to judge right or wrong.

Regardless, this case really has zero to do with the 2nd amendment. You’re not allowed to just arbitrarily kill people without legal cause, with or without a gun.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was a 47 year old who was thrown to the ground by a 28 year old who then pulled out a gun and shot the 28 year old. He was likely about to get his ass kicked before he pulled out a gun and shot the other guy so it's likely an open and shut case.

When you choose to attack people, you run the risk of getting shot.....so you shouldn't attack people.

crash5179 likes this.
  6. durvasa

“Stand your ground” laws exist because of the second amendment. The shooter was arguing with a woman for parking in a handicap spot. Her BF came out of the store and confronted him, apparently shoving him. The man responded by shooting him (black guy shoves him, so of course he is fearing for his life and thinks shooting him is justified).

Prevalence of guns means rise in lethality in situations like this that should not have escalated to that level.

According to recent RAND report, there is moderate evidence indicating that laws like this increase homicide rate, as I pointed out earlier in this thread.

Thank you 2nd Amendment

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, he was black? That's why this is a story, I was honestly wondering why this story even got brought up. Makes sense I guess.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

explain?

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Fact is that when he pulled the trigger, the guy started to walk away and clearly was scared.

The man didn't have to pull the trigger at that point. He could have walked away. He could have told them to do anything. The guy was backing away and he still shot him.

This is not stand your ground. It's murder. Shoving someone is not a reason to commit murder.

10. Bandwagoner

sucks for the ******* that pushed him I guess then.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure he's not worried about it anymore. He learned his lesson and won't ever assault another person.

12. durvasa

The allowance to use lethal force with firearms in the situations permitted by “stand your ground” laws is dependent on the rights provided by the 2nd amendment.

13. Bandwagoner

Ah, your misunderstanding is that it is limited to firearms. It is actually any deadly force. You could easily have these laws without guns.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Too bad the woman didn't have a gun, she could have shot the overzealous basterd guy who approached her since he was not an officer and she might have feared for her life (justified since we now know he had a gun). Under stand your ground laws, she'd have a right to shoot him.

Of course then you would be crying about the white guy getting shot

People need to arm themselves. Anyone who approaches you could have a gun. If they start an argument, they could be dangerous and you should shoot them. Stand your ground baby

15. Bandwagoner

don't be jealous sweet tard. I know you are scared of the mysterious Thundersticks but I promise they are not magic.

16. durvasa

You could, yes. But the problem people have with the laws is, largely, the guns (2nd amendment) and what stand your ground allows for people in possession of them. Proliferation of gun possession increases the likelihood that deadly force would be used in self defense, and especially in situations that really do not warrant it.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Guns being used in self defense is a good thing. If more people shot those who attacked them, there would eventually be fewer people going around attacking people. It's really a win-win situation when a victim shoots their attacker.

18. Bandwagoner

My feeling is this isn't a bad thing which is where I typically disagree with those against guns.

Out of curiosity, what is your feeling on "fighting words" and "mutual combat" laws?

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

My ******* side of my personality kind of gets this (I know you're being sarcastic). I mean, the shooter was a known trouble-maker in the sense that he'd start arguments with many customers according to the owner of the convenient store. So he's an *******. The victim's girlfriend is ******* for parking in a handicap spot. The victim is an ******* for shoving someone to the ground instead of trying to break up a fight. They're all assholes and all of them being dead might not make the world a worse-off place. With Florida's law, at least the way it's been consistently interpreted, you better damn well arm yourself, because simply being an ******* puts everyone's life at risk.

If the shooter would have waited two seconds, he wouldn't have justifiably been able to kill imo. But the dude got shoved, rolled, and immediately went into point-and-shoot mode, so I guess that works. Stand-your-ground can easily be named hot-head-protection. I haven't read the evidence suggesting that these laws increase shootings...that would make sense. It's almost impossible to show the impact though on things like ******* behavior reduction, which could be then end result. Ultimately there are less fights and assaults? It's a stretch and we'll never know if it really impacts that.

20. durvasa

I don’t know enough about them and the cases to which they’ve applied to have a firm opinion.

#120 durvasa, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018