1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Tech Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by JMAD21, Aug 27, 2012.

1. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Tech's next 5 games : @ OU, vs OSU, vs K-State, vs Baylor , @ UT. wow what a schedule

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Definitely where TTU comes back to earth OR put the Big 12 on notice! Worried about OU because its the first game going into this stretch of death and Baylor because I don't think they have a punter on the roster.

3. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

One more win and that will give Tech a winning conference record which is something Tubberville never got done here.

West Virginia, TCU, Iowa state are all games Tubberville probably loses.

It's hard to tell how good Tech is still but I feel they can compete in any game which hasn't been the case in a long time.....

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Certainly all you Tech hardcores will know better than I, but just looking at that remaining schedule, I think Tech will be competitive in all of those games and could surprise some people with how well they do.

Kansas State and UT are certainly very winnable games, Baylor had a ton of trouble with K-State, and both OSU and OU have had ugly losses so far this season.

Is there a good chance that they will drop at least two games during that stretch? Absolutely. But I think there is also a pretty good chance that they come out of the stretch looking pretty good.

5. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

I'm excited about Tech this year. I became a fan when Kliff was the QB and have been ever since. I admit, I did become a little discouraged when Tubbs took over and I even stopped following as much. I have no affiliation with Tech, I just became a fan of their style of play under Leach and they are back to passing a being a fun team to watch. However, their schedule up to now has been horrendous. I would not be surprised to see this team lose 3 or 4 the rest of the way out. No matter what happens though, Kliff has this program back on track and they are exciting to watch again. Wreck Em!

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

TTU needs to be sponsored by Nike.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've been ragging on Tech all year because they almost literally haven't done a damn thing. Now that they finally lose I can continue to rag on them. But I wont. They came to play against a better team. And that Kingsbury jarboni looks special, if he can continue to recruit defense (and recruit in general) things will be looking good. They can lose every game left on the schedule and I'd still be feeling good if I were a Raider fan. I thank the lord I am not though.

9. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

How original another team trying to change their uni's every week like Oregon. Anyone see the red stripes on TCU's helmets the other night? Something to do with blood from a horned frog's eyes or something. Looked dumb.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Disappointing 2 weeks from Tech. If you're a fan of TTU you know this has been happening pretty much every year since '08. Start off strong against a weak schedule, get one huge win against a ranked opponent, vault into the BCS rankings then fall off a cliff.

These last 2 losses have been the result of TTU mistakes. without the bonehead mistakes they would be undefeated. they have the offense and the defense to be good but the discipline isn't there.

oh well, fun while it lasted. i bet free dollars they beat Baylor though.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

L, L, W(K-State), L, L

Oh well.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Except this time, they fell off a Kliff.

13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Any guesses on how/if tech can improve next season? I'll post a long overview of the state of the program going forward soon.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tech winning with defense, who the hell knew? :)

Nice win tonight.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wonder what Kilff could do with real players. Piecing together a game plan in 10 days for a 3rd string qtr back without the ability to pass is impressive. Defense did their thing.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You mean guys like Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, Keke Couttee, Jakeem Grant?

Major likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

LOL, you know those guys were considered system players before they had a chance to prove themselves.. Don't act brand new. Nobody in the country ever believes a Tech player can be anything.

• Mahomes was an unknown before the combine.
    • Baker was a nobody before Mahomes beat him out for the starting job at Tech and he had to walk on at Oklahoma with 17 star recruits. Baker Mayfield is probably never drafted if he stays at Tech. I bet money on that.
    • Nobody knew if Keke could do the stuff at the next level he was doing at Tech
    • Nobody was checking for Jakeem Grant either.

stop it.

Outside of a competent QB and good receivers, nobody is scrambling to go to Lubbock.

18. Major

Major Member

It has nothing to do with what anyone else in the country believes. Tech had those players and could see their skills up close. And did nothing with them. They've proven they have a ton of skills after leaving Tech. That answers your question about "what Kilff could do with real players."

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

At any given point in Kliff's tenure, Tech has had a maximum 3 good players and they are usually on offense. You aren't winning too many foptball games in the Big12 with just 3 players. Kliff has never had a full compliment of players.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No never a full compliment of players. But "real players?" He's definitely had a few, including arguably 2 of the best QBs to come out of the Big 12 the past decade. These Tech teams talent wise aren't much different from the ones fielded by Leach IMO.

But all in all, huge win for Kliff last night.

#100 gucci888, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    DreamShook likes this.