1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem when they were in the big 12 was not Texas it was Oklahoma
    OU moved up as the best team for most of the time and getting the good recruits
    The Texas vs Oklahoma game became more important than the Aggie game

Now in the SEC, they are getting better recruits but got to deal with Alabama and LSU

Good luck Aggies!

raining threes likes this.
  2. raining threes

When is the last time A&M who a national championship?

tinman likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

The Aggies left because OU overtook them as the top rival for Texas and the Aggies were becoming irrelevant in the conference.
    If OU left the big 12 , Texas would do the same . The Texas OU game is the bigger and better game so both schools want to preserve that.
    The Aggies left didn’t cause the breakup of the conference. In fact it just opened the door for TCU and West Virginia

When did the Texas A&M game mean anything nationally?
    When RC Sllocum was coach ?

4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

No, the Aggies left because they saw how the Big 12 was being run to Texas' advantage (Longhorn network vs Big 12 network, etc etc). Therefore, they saw a better opportunity for them in the SEC, which would also expand their recruiting base.

OU didn't have anything to do with it.

What does that have to do with the point? oh, ya, nothing. Which maybe demonstrates my point.

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

When was the first time this had anything to do with my point, other than demonstrating it?

6. tinman

Supporting Member

So if OU and A&M are equals why didn't OU leave? they didn't get a Sooner network?

A&M left cause they didn't want to be 3rd

Also, A&M could have started vouched for a Aggie Network.

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I was in a closed-door meeting with DeLoss Dodds a few years ago when this was an actual discussion. Texas gave A&M a chance to basically be a co-partner in a network focused on Texas teams that would essentially be dominated by UT and A&M. That wasn't good enough, so y'all left and played the victim card on the way out.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Interesting (am not saying that facetiously). Please do share more. Always more behind the scenes than people on the other side of the door are aware of.

I am curious...what put you behind that closed door? Not doubting you, just curious what role you were in then.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

So, your argument is that they were much happier being ... fifth?

A&M had been considering a move to the SEC for a LONG time, fwiw. They felt they were a better fit there. But wanting to be top dog in such a loaded conference couldn't have been the motivation: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Georgia....It was going to take a while to get even, much less ahead, of those schools.
    I think the Aggies thought that joining the SEC would both increase their exposure, expand their recruiting base (something like 98% of their players came from in state), and also give those recruits a better reason to go to A&M. ie, they'd get better, even though in a more difficult conference.

10. Buck Turgidson

Absolutely. They belong with the Confederacy.

tinman likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Some of the 99'er memories are getting WORSE with age. It was UT that pretended to try to leave FIRST - to the Pac-# conference - because they weren't getting their way. TAMU didn't do any talking or posturing or pee-pee games. They just left.

TAMU left for money, opportunity and a conference with checks & balances, and they've been better off for it.

The Big 12 wasn't working for everyone. It's not like the Aggies were the only team to leave in a short span of time.

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Texas A&M starting tailback Jashaun Corbin is out for the season

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Well, that's a bummer...although think it was going to be a committee approach all along.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Haha. Best shirt I saw had top ten reasons the Aggies left the SWC. One reason was because SWC stood for Sure We Cheat. The next one was SEC stands for So Everyone Cheats.

15. Hustle Town

Sorry if I made it seem like I'm a stakeholder because I'm not. UT has (maybe had now) a sports business organization, and there was a small group of us who got to hear DeLoss shoot the sh**. They made it closed door so that he could answer honestly, although obviously I took everything he said with a grain of salt. I can't remember the order or all of the topics at the moment, but feel free to jog my memory with questions if you're interested.

Bad news about Corbin. Sucks to see people get hurt.

Also, while Generation X doesn't want the UT-TAMU rivalry to come back, many of us on the younger end would love to see the game played. I get the argument that it's not necessary, but traditions are rarely necessary. This is about state pride, and it's fun. Also, as much as y'all annoy me, I'd much rather see recruits stay in state than go to places like Ohio State or OU.

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I didn't take it that way...was just curious what the situation was.

A lot of people would like to see it come back. I suspect it will, in a few years. I think they have a home and home coming up around then.

17. Buck Turgidson

Say what to the who now?

18. Hustle Town

Your people, Buck. ;)

There are influential boosters on both sides that aren't interested in bringing the game back because of the typical arguments: we don't need Texas/A&M, they left, etc, and they're vehement about it. Makes it hard to generate momentum to bring it back.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Clemson makes alot of teams look bad. The Aggies appear to have a decent defense (sort of) and offensive line (sort of), but the QB is a real problem. What are the options?

20. Buck Turgidson

Nah man, no Gen X bullshit, people want to play that again, fans want to play again, CDC wants to play again. Home and Home (or a blowout party in Houston, somebody has to play good football in that stadium) every 4 years will happen. Yall tough SEC types have 4 OOC spots to squeeze in North Texas Bible College, one Historically Black School, a Directional Commuter School Somewhere in the South...and then you pick the weakest one of all for that good SEC Weekend in the fall, when all of you play total cupcakes at the same time.

Wofford +50? Get some!

Hustle Town likes this.