1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ABforPresident

I'm also on the fire Sumlin bang wagon although their isn't really any ideal candidates out there. Is there any chance we could snatch Jimbo from FSU?

J.R. likes this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No.. You'd be looking at Chad Morris.

3. body slam

body slam Member

and Sumlin is safe for another week.

Why can't A&M get a decent QB?

4. Buck Turgidson

God I hope not. He's too good a guy for Bryan.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'll take the BAD guy - Chip. The REAL Aggies (the crazy ****s) probably want Kubiak or some ****.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A&M is one bad quarter away from being undefeated with a young QB. Not a daunting schedule so far, but they're not hopeless by any means. Probably 3rd best team in the SEC West.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They look like a bunch of scrawny pusses.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

QB ain't ready to play. He's playing backyard football any chance he gets. One read not open and it's off to the races. Is he a freshman?

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I'm torn on him. That this year is the 'make or break' year is a bit unfortunate...we have a very young team. Will see how team plays from here out. Despite what many are saying on the Texas Aggies forums, there are many tough games left. Starting next week at Florida. Also have Auburn and LSU (who just beat Florida). Any of those could easily be a loss. Then Ole Miss, Miss State, and New Mexico. Let's say A&M wins each of those (not a given) and 1 of the first three. Where does that leave them? 8-4 again. But with a young team, I don't know that that is a bad record. 9-3 would be very good.

So, will have to see how this year plays out. I think that will also say a lot about what is going on within the locker room, another issue in past years. Will the team follow up their stellar play against Alabama with similar effort at Florida? Or will the team that had to come from behind against Nichols State, at home make an appearance? Consistency has been very elusive under Sumlin.

As for Jimbo...why would he leave Florida State? This is always the key issue when getting rid of a coach, especially one who, while maybe not up to desire, isn't doing that bad. Who do you replace him with? Sumlin was supposed to be the up and coming young coach. Be careful what you ask for...his replacement might easily do worse.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The SEC is about defense which is why Sumlin was doomed to fail. You need to get a defensive minded coach that knows the state of Texas but also knows the SEC well enough that he can go to any high school and not have to introduce himself. If you're in the SEC then you need to be pulling players from everywhere in the conference. I would say a guy who can recruit Florida would be even better. You can recruit the two richest high school football states. There is no way you can lose. Just look for the coach of the highest ranked school not in a major conference in the southeast US.

Wait... I GOT YOUR MAN!

[​IMG]
    :D

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I agree. The Alabama DC was in the running when they hired Sumlin. But Sumlin was a linebacker, and the DC is LSU's previous DC, so I don't think that is the issue. Although past years have indicated it has been. The thinking I believe was to shake up the SEC, and that has in fact happened. SEC isn't all about defense anymore. That said, arguably the two best schools (Alabama and LSU) are much for defense oriented.

Strong would be a much better fit at A&M than he was at UT. Would he really be better than Sumlin though? UT thought so...didn't work out that way. But that wasn't really Strong's fault, I don't think.

He would be HIGHLY motivated to beat UT. Which is really what this probably comes down to. Aggies have been ahead of UT since joining the SEC. If UT surpasses them, then Sumlin, you....gots to go!

But I think still back to seeing how this year plays out.

#4611 BigDog63, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Dude, I was joking. Don't hire Charlie.

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

They've had multiple #1 recruits. Mond, I think, being one of them. Not sure what you are talking about. Getting them hasn't been the issue. Now, keeping them...that has been a problem. :)

FWIW, Mond is looking pretty good. Unfortunate that he got thrust into that UCLA game, and had the nerves (man, just ONE completion, and we probably win that game). But he's been fine since then, especially for an 18 year old. Alabama has made a lot more experienced QBs than he look an awful lot worse.

body slam and Torn n Frayed like this.
  14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ok...thought maybe but wasn't sure. He DOES fit the mold of the type of coach A&M would be getting...ie, someone from a mid tier school looking to move up. I can't fathom why any coach from a top tier school (like Jimbo) would leave to go to A&M. So, basically someone pretty much like...

Kevin Sumlin was.

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I just want to send an official shout out to the legendary Dave South, who is calling his last season of Aggie football this year. It won't be the same without Dave on the call next year.

16. Buck Turgidson

I've listened to him call games on the radio for about 30 years. He's awesome.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  17. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

18. body slam

body slam Member

that's what I meant

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

My opinion of Sumlin is changing. In the UCLA game, saw many of the faults that have plagued the Aggies over the years, from seemingly poor coaching decisions, to inability to hold leads, make plays down the stretch, etc. Aggies were a first half team (good game plan) that made poor to no halftime adjustments, and gave up leads in the second half. It has somewhat been a reversal of late. Outside of UCLA game, Aggies seem to struggle in the first half, but make good adjustments and plays down the stretch, and win games in the second half. I have always felt a good indication of game coaching was second half adjustments, and those definitely seem to be trending in Sumlin's favor. That it is happening with a younger team even moreso.

I thought going into the Florida game that it would be a good bell weather game--would the sound play, albeit in a loss, against Alabama carry over? The answer seems to be yes. Winning in Florida, against a Gator team that really needed the win after their loss against LSU, was a strong accomplishment. Still have Auburn and LSU left (and LSU is looking much better lately) as well as games against the Mississippi schools that have plagued the Aggies in the past. So, jury still out, but if the Aggies go through that schedule with 1-2 losses, I would say that Sumlin should stay, as the team would seem to be on the rise (finally).

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So.. Jimbo? How does that make y'all FEEL? Or are we content HOOPIN top 10?