1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

5.6%
  2. NO

94.4%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Oh we've pointed it out, he's just not listening.

Hey Now! likes this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If you want to tag him, then tag his ass!!!

He's a linebacker, Brian.

Seriously, I vote the Texans permanently retire #90. It's been nothing but trouble around here for almost the team's entire existence.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Then... why are you bringing it up?...
    It has zero relevancy.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Clowney, he adhered to the collectively bargained agreement between the owners and players. While it may be perceived that he screwed the Texans, he did nothing wrong.

We are only assuming they sought to trade him as his holdout continued, because reputable quoted sources, reported that they wanted to trade him, and Clowney, himself, was under the impression they wanted to trade him.

5. Hey Now!

.....We're assuming they wanted to trade him because, you know.... they traded him.

And yes, Clowney screwed them by not signing after the Texans let the deadline expire thereby putting him in position to screw them.

It ABSOLUTELY affects what they got in return - are you kidding? It narrows the # of trading partners (because he can control where he goes) and because they can't sign him to any contract other than a one-year tender, it lessens his value if a team knows there's a chance he'll bolt after a year.

I mean... Seattle traded Frank Clark - who I don't think is as good as Clowney; he's certainly not significantly better - for a '19 1st and a '20 2nd specifically because his new team - the Chiefs - could sign him to a long-term deal (which they did). Sitting on him past the deadline cratered Clowney's value.

raining threes and Kim like this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The franchise tag is a special situation negotiated by the owners and players for his situation.

They get top five money all guaranteed. You have RUMORS I have his official grievance. Please talking about your RUMORS

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Pgabs lives in conspiracy worlds and "alternate facts" are his thing so it's not surprising he's ignoring reality here.

Clowney was set to report to the Texans on that late date where it would avoid costing him money. He had already told Aaron Wilson that. Then he got word the Texans were trading him to the Dolphins if he signed. He asked the team and they refused to answer. He then refused to report and refused to sign because the Texans were going to trade him the minute he signed his tender.

raining threes likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They traded him after he went to the extreme of filing a grievance. He forced their hand. There is nothing incompetent about franchise tags. They happen all the time.

So you know what was offered in the negotiations? Please tell us or stop saying the Texans screwed cause none of us were privy to talks

It doesn't matter because the Texans got cap space. They have multiple holes to fill. Not locking him up gives them options to fill other holes

This defense was not good enough to throw more money into it last season with Clowney

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Where is your backup that he was ready to report?

Im the only one that has facts backing up my argument.

Now these hating ass writers are saying he wanted to sign who didn't have any ish to say before the trade are you guys' facts.

You don't know what facts are apparently

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So he is so mad at the Texans that he wont sign with them but would have accepted trade to any team if any team was gonna keep him at linebacker?

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dude's fact is Clowney told his homeboy Aaron Wilson

Gon with that dumb ish

12. Hey Now!

Wait... so your premise is that the grievance triggered this? A grievance the ultimatly would've been against the NFL and not the Texans? Do you have *any* source for that?...

What? No. Whatever the offers might've been is not relevant. The deadline passing is what's relevant because it limited what both parties could do.

The thought behind trading Clowney is mostly sound; no objection on my end. The execution, however, was objectively awful.

13. Hey Now!

I.... I don't know what to make of this............... Where he played/plays was not/is not an issue. How he was designated - BY THE LEAGUE - for the purposes of calculating his franchise tender *was* an issue and it was the league's decision. The Texans actually designated him "DE/LB;" the league picked LB, which meant less money for the franchise tender.

You really need to step away from this point. It is not, by any stretch, a good one.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bro im talking going forward as ive said to you already.

I KOW IT DOESN'T AFFECT THIS YEAR BUT HE WASN'T GOING TO PLAY DEFENSIVE END HERE.

IT WAS IMPORTANT ENOUGH FOR HIM TO FILE A GRIEVANCE SO IT WAS IMPORTANT TO HIM REGARDLESS OF IT NOT CHANGING ISH NOW

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Okay i thought you agreed with me earlier about that. Lets move forward as fellow texan fans.

Don't mean to be a jerk.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty much the case after Texans wins... sports radio and this BBS gets pretty bland. However after losses, its non-stop thread-starting/phone calls.

pgabriel likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

Ah, OK - got it...

Where he plays, in terms of his value, ONLY matters in the context of franchise tenders. If he was going to be forced to sign a one-year deal (which he was, post-deadline), it makes sense that he'd want to maximize that one year deal, which was ultimately a difference of around $1.7MM.

But that was the full extent of it. If he played here, in Seattle, in Miami... the open market would've determined his value and no team would have cared about his position.

raining threes and pgabriel like this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know i can be obsessive. My bigger issue is i think the Texans have been a good franchise since nixing casserly and capers

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm going to waste my time responding to you once again...

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/08/jadeveon-clowney-to-report-to-texans-in-late-august

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...rt-this-week-until-texans-tried-to-trade-him/
    Those are from Rappaport.

I know I know, FAKE NEWS!!!!

20. Hey Now!

They've certainly been better than most fans would concede. But when your expectation is Super Bowl or bust... well, I can see why many view them as disappointing.

But they've only registered four losing seasons since 2006 (out of 13) and made the playoffs five times. They haven't by any means been great... not even sure they've been good - but... above average? By and large. Their bad seasons tend to be worse than their good seasons tend to be great (two 2-win seasons in there) but...