1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Raiders CB Gareon Conley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thesonofsam, Oct 21, 2019.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Rush defense is not even on my list of O’Brien complaints. :)

#101 bobrek, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    pgabriel likes this.
  2. raining threes

They did

His name is Conley and he's under contract for three more years.

3. raining threes

Conley is better than Waynes.

He's a man guy not the off zone CB they have Conley playing this year. This is going to be a really good pickup. A steal for a third rd pick.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Tweet from @aaronjreiss: Texans fans should read this story on the Colts' run-heavy offense.

A year after Houston ranked 1st in run defense DVOA, the team, now Clowney-less, ranks 11th.

5. Mr. Clutch

They are not contending this year and are just going to get worse with their lack of draft capital

6. Mr. Clutch

The Texans pass rush is also much worse without clowney
    [​IMG]

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL.....so focused on a 1st round pick or 2.

How about his....go root for the Cowboys or Saints. I think they have All their draft Capital.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

And? Clowney is not going to comeback. Why b**** about it? You were never getting a 1st for Clowney (or 2nd).....why worry about it now? It's over....move on.

Uprising and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Very familiar with him John.

Texans LB coach John Pagano was the DC/assistant HC for the Raiders the year Conley was drafted in the first round. The Texans have there inside look on Conley in-house. ST coordinator Brad Seely was also in Oakland in 2017.

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

We need to pull out the next 2 weeks. Ravens, Colts and Pats following the bye could be the season otherwise. No idea how it’ll pan out but this zone defense with lack of pass rush is a BAD combination.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Again, he’s a starter out of necessity...right now. I hope the kid turns it around here, he’s been ass outside of half a season in Oakland

12. raining threes

If he's unknown to you how do you know he's a terrible tackler?

I watched him at OSU and he was a very good tackler as well as good in man coverage. Very talented guy and I'm betting RAC puts Conley in a position to succeed.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Where did I say he was an unknown? I’ve watched pretty much every OSU game for the last 15 yrs lol.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not meaning he isn’t known, meaning what he is going to be here is an unknown.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s a man cover, bump and run corner. Not a great tackler and doesn’t offer much in run support. Good size and athleticism. Best when he can use the sidelines for help.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

But they are better in yards per game and yards per carry than Seattle

TheFreak and eliefor3 like this.
  17. raining threes

You might want to go back and read you #75 post. Or just read what I quoted. Surely you can see where I would have gotten that from you saying giving up a 3rd for an unknown is alot to give up.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I saw that after and explained in the following post. He is known as far as college and what he’s done, pedigree. But he’s up and down and we don’t know what he’ll do here. It’s a coach em up job

raining threes likes this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

I don't know enough about their situation, but you are right they are pretty mediocre defensively and haven't really improved over last year.

But clowney is still doing well by pff grade and other advanced metrics

20. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t have a real problem with this trade in isolation. He is misplaced in Oakland and they obviously don’t play to his strengths. I think the mistake on the Rodgers TD was the last straw.

Corners can very from year to year depending on the front 7, scheme, health and the rest of the secondary. So it is possible that he becomes an above average corner getting to play man and with the Texans applying pressure up front.

I appreciate that BOB has identified weaknesses and is willing to address those weaknesses in trade. Yes they should have addressed some of those weaknesses in free agency. Still I have to somewhat respect the Texans finally going for it, even if they have over paid and BOB wants to win now and screw later.

What is more concerning to me is the cumulative effect of all these deals and the perception we have over paid. We are currently 4-3 and that is after mortgaging a great deal of the future. If a team is going to mortgage the picks the Texans have, they should have more than 4-3 to show for it.

Maybe the Texans get hot and beat the Patriots in the Conference game and make a Super Bowl this year or next and it will have all been worth it. Based on what I have seen on the field I am skeptical and if they are only an 9-10 win a season team the next few years, then it was a mistake... but time will tell. I do at least think they have a Hail Mary chance at going to the Conference game which would be a franchise best.

joshuaao, Chamillionaire and Rudyc281 like this.