1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade for Raiders CB Gareon Conley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thesonofsam, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He missed most of his rookie year due to injury. But he showed ability last season so maybe a good move if he stays healthy. If injury continues he will deteriorate quickly like Kevin.

2. AstrosRockets1818

Why would they trade him to us the week we are playing the Raiders? Does he suck that bad?

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Bill O’Brien : draft capital :: Trump : US Treasury

Just trying to squeeze as much out of it as he can before he gets inevitably fired.

Nook and Phillyrocket like this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He's a starter that directly addresses one of the needs you identified as significant.

The scoop on Conley is encouraging-ish:
    [​IMG]

Nice first year; slow start in '18 (with coaching change) but wound up allowing 72.8 passer rating and 54% completions. Has some upside & will be familiar with next opponent.

With the Tunsil deal, the Texans simply don't have the draft capital to land a player like Peterson or Ramsey (unfortunately) and, desperate for healthy bodies, this is the kind of move they have to make.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

focus on "ish" lol

I like the players are getting back in trades but not so much the draft capital used to get them. But ultimately if he is a solid (SOLID) starter, that's not something you can count on in the 3rd round.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Apparently Raider fans love the trade

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I actually think this makes the Clowney deal "feel" better. Of course, dude will have to perform better, but assuming he gets on the field and isn't the crap that the corners have otherwise been, I'd have been less angry about a Clowney for a starting CB that is constantly on the field trade than what they got.

Sure, they "COULD" do better in the draft, but won't know that for sure for a while.

The real issue is the trades in isolation. Cause it probably would have felt even better before the seasons started. But now we know that he's having a down year, so again its a question of overpay?? But that's bound to happen when you have little to no leverage.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s a starter out of necessity here. He’s been garbage this year and was serviceable last year. He is young and has talent so well see if he can turn it around

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You’re also a little contradictory. You say we do have draft capital in one post and here say we don’t. Peterson will go somewhere between Ramsey and Peters asking price

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Someone needs to inform OBrien there is a way to acquire players through free agency that doesn't require giving up picks.

Nook likes this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Not a good fit in Oakland, but he’s talented and fills a significant need. He’s also young. It’s not a bad move. He will play a LOT, so it’s pretty good value for a third rounder in my opinion.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

That's not even remotely what I said. In another, completely separate post, I said we have draft capital. Period. Which we do - 12 picks in 2 years despite several trades.

Here, I'm specifically saying we don't have the draft capital to land an All-Pro CB, which is also true because we used that capital in other trades.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Firstly, 12 picks in two years is exactly 2 less than what is standard not including any compensatory. So not a lot of draft capital.
    Second, Peterson with his age and contract is not going to take as much as Ramsey specially coming off a suspension for PEDs. More than Peters cost but less than Ramsey.
    2nd and a 3rd, possibly an additional pick. But Peterson is a proven commodity, worth the picks. Conley is an extremely unknown on a down year (so far) that O’Brien over paid for. Again

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Hell, I’d rather have given up a 2nd for Chris Harris

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Jon Gruden said young corners on the team are main reason they could let Gareon Conley go. Starts with Trayvon Mullen, but adds Isaiah Johnson is getting healthy and they have Nevin Lawson "working in" as well as UDFA Keisean Nixon "need to see the field"

— Levi Damien (@LeviDamien) October 21, 2019

Gruden said of trading Gareon Conley "It was a tough decision. We certainly wish Gareon Conley the best." Mentioned Trayvon Mullen as potential replacement. #Raiders

— Levi Damien (@LeviDamien) October 21, 2019

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

19. Hey Now!

BTW - for all those harping about the draft capital........ There's a growing sentiment that - to some degree, and context is important - the draft is overrated and you're better using those picks to deal for known quantities - *especially* if you have a good QB cheap.

Think of some of the better teams in the NFL and I bet they've recently traded high picks for players (Ramsey, Mack, Odell, Cooper, A. Brown...). The reason: the window with a cheap, young, good B is so small, you have to maximize it.

I'm not arguing for it - I'm just saying it's a trend that's been developing in the NFL and any notion the Texans are somehow on an island dealing picks is not true. A lot of good teams are doing it...

vupac1 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If Im a GM around the league, Im going to the obrien household for Halloween. They give out the good king size draft picks.

Nook likes this.