1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Tashaun Gipson to 3-year, $22M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 12, 2019.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This looks like a good, value signing to me

fallenphoenix likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Would bringing back Mathieu and/or Kareem at the $ & years they signed for, relative to their production last year, been considered a win or an upgrade to last year? I mean, right now, we still got holes to fill because those two left but would it have satisifed, I guess, the fanbase if either one (or both) came back at their new salaries?

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

You don't want your strong (or even free) safety trying to cover TY. You need CBs for that. None of the free agent corners are that good. At this point, I'd rather they go after Desir (Colt's CB), at least he used to cover TY at practice LOL.

What they've done is improved their FS (already a strength), weakened their SS and haven't improved their CB. I'm not panicking I still think they win the division. But they just got worse on defense today/yesterday.

steddinotayto likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Red.Glare and Chamillionaire like this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

It ain't my money so I would have loved bringing Honey Badger back. He came in to a new system and contributed immediately. Imagine how much he would improve after a year. Plus the guy is a baller, a fighter, and motivator. His impact was felt immediately and was voted team captain. I don't think keeping him kept the team from any other free agents they are targeting. The two big tackles are off the board and none of the FA CBs really impress me that much. I'm not upset now (I didn't expect them to be aggressive) but I might be if they end up overpaying one of the CBs LOL.

steddinotayto likes this.
  6. showa13

showa13 Member

Then I’m confused as to why TY was brought up then? Roby and Darby are both better than what we had last year and at least provide help to our secondary. I see them both as improvements over what we had last year. Are we in a better place with the secondary, I’d say we aren’t cause Gibson isn’t a long term solution as a SS. But are we significantly worse? Not even close. Plus we are just now approaching 24 hrs into legal tampering, so there’s PLENTY of time left.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Gipson is what... a inch or two taller than Jackson and Mathieu?

8. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

The team has struggled to cover TEs the last two years after Bouye left. If he can successfully man cover the best TEs on the opposing teams, this is a fantastic move.

Red.Glare, red5rocket and Nimo like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Crap sorry

#69 zeeshan2, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

He was brought up because of the comment about all the money we saved. I don't see the point of celebrating money saved when it doesn't turn into talent on the field.

Roby and Darby are better than what we had last year but they are not top tier even if they weren't coming off injuries.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

12. showa13

showa13 Member

Why I mentioned it being only day 2 of tampering. We don’t need to blow cap space on a position that won’t help us cover TY within 48 hours of legal tampering. Guys are still going to be cut. Alittle patience isn’t going to hurt anyone.

13. showa13

showa13 Member

Top 10 RBs

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

lot's of haters in here. he's a decent safety picked up for cheap. CBs and Oline is where we need to be spending our money

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL my bad. Jumped the gun on that.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm not panicking. Losing Matthieu AND Kareem hurts but it's not the end of the world. But i wish people would stop acting like saving money = getting better. As of right now we are not and I don't see any current FAs that they can sign that blows me away.

18. Purvis's shorts

so the Texans signed a mediocre safety.

wake me when the team does something remotely significant in the free agent market

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Decent, like you said, isn't going to get the fan base excited.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Honestly, rather than Roby and Darby. I would rather Desir and Breeland.