1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Matt Kalil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 22, 2019.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Most linemen, particularly OL, do not contribute significantly during their rookie seasons. The same goes for DBs.

Unfortunately (ironically?) these are the Texans two greatest areas of need.

I'm expecting a step back (perhaps even a significant one if the division isn't dogs*** again) in 2019.

raining threes likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Like I said, isn't that exactly what Gaine is doing? He signed 3 OL last year on top of drafting Rankin and 2 TEs. He has resigned one of them and signed another OL plus a blocking TE so far this off season and has a full arsenal of draft picks to use. I understand Henderson and Kalil are not world beaters but I don't see a big enough distinction between signing them vs a career backup in Cam Fleming. Not enough to prove an example of how to do something IMO.

But what am I missing about Flemming?

Not that it really matters but you're wrong about trading for Brown before drafting Wynn. The Pats traded their 3rd rounder for Brown on day 2 of the draft after taking Wynn in the 1st.

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think Gaine was looking at an alphabetical list and instead of "Kalil, Matt" he read "Khalil Mack" and thought he hit the jackpot.

joshuaao, Nook, DonnyMost and 2 others like this.
  4. gucci888

Nah that isn’t true anymore. Colts, Texans, Chargers, Cowboys, Bears, Ravens all got significant contributions from rookie OL or DBs. And that’s just from playoff teams.

#64 gucci888, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

You jumped in on a back-and-forth that started with this statement: "The only way we were ever gonna get better was thru the draft.". That was what I disagreed with. I like Fulton and Kelemete, I think I mentioned earlier. I'm not too excited about Henderson but I'm more than willing to let him earn a starting spot at RT. And I'm definitely not excited about Matt Kalil; especially when there were better options available. But I guess I'll take this over nothing.

My thoughts on Fleming are from watching (I have fam who are Cowboy fans so I'm always looking to talk trash), listening (fans online were glad they kept him), and reading. The folks over at PFF are smarter than me so I'm not going to say they're wrong. But then again PFF Dallas retweeted this recently:

I had my timing wrong about the Trent Brown trade. It was right after drafting Wynn. But it still makes my point. They drafted in the first round but still went and got a player via trade.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Forgive me if someone has voiced already, but I bet this signing over Penn has more to do with a player accepting their role than it does talent.

I’m sure the Texans view both as high risk signings. Hunch is that Penn wants the startin role guaranteed while Kalil had a good attitude about mentoring younger players and coming off the bench.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Keep hope alive. I'm not banking on it.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  8. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Are any of you really shocked? Texans gonna do always like they do, stick in mediocre wasteland. Actually these are the exact moves I would expect this franchise to make. When they actually do something and spend, they end up with Brock Osweiller.

They truly are the most clueless franchise of the three in town, the only thing they are good at is making sure they have enough stock to provide that cool aid for the fan base to drink.

red5rocket, raining threes and Nook like this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Matt Kalil competing to start "will make everyone happy"?

[​IMG]

Mr. Clutch and Nimo like this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

J.R. likes this.
  13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you expect him to say? We think he's going to be terrible and we expect him to be cut before the first preseason game?

You should have been able to extrapolate this quote when they signed him. It was almost pro forma.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The Texans might be the only franchise to justify MINIMIZING their window when they have a stud QB still on his rookie contract.

joshuaao and Nook like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What does this even mean?

He wasn't going to be ready health-wise until there was plenty of time?

I'm not in love with this signing (on a stand alone basis, I think it's an ok risk and could work out, but they better really hit it out of the park on at least 1 OL draft pick), but I don't understand what tone I'm supposed to read the above tweet in?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Broncos had concerns about Matt Paradis.
    Panthers: Our doctors cleared him.

Maybe the Texans doctors cleared Kalil.

17. conquistador#11

I confused this guy with the other OT from the panthers that had a knee injury. OOops.

18. gucci888

Not sure if it was pancakes but 610 said that Kalil took and passed a physical.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Didnt Ed Reed pass one too?
    :)

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I can't wait for Pat to start mocking people worried about the OLine again this year