1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans release Brian Cushing

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Feb 18, 2018.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Whoops....forgot to add, two mistakes where he was caught.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Due to his own selfishness? How about the the times he came back from two knee surgeries and still put in on the line fro the team every Sunday? Or the times he made teammates look like scrubs in practice, only to pull them to the side to motivate and build their confidence on gamedays? The leadership he brought was not selfish, it takes a lot to come back from the injuries he went through. Youve become hyper-cynical and overly critical in your retirement days.

ipaman and csj like this.
  3. bobrek

Sorry...I just don’t think much of the players that use banned substances. I think I’ve always been critical of players that do.

4. Nook

Nook Member

He cheated at least twice and over the course of his career missed 25% of all possible games. The Texans simply couldn’t count on him and he hasn’t been good in years.

Fulgore and red5rocket like this.
  5. donkeypunch

Yeah, man...... We all get that he wasn't very good for the past few years but the same injuries he suffered take people out of the league. I've said as much in my first post. I'm not giving him a pass for his ped use but I do know his passion for the gAme and could see him wanting to heal and come back as one of the reasons for use, amongst others.

All I'm saying is I valued his leadership and the intensity he brought every practice and every game. it's a damn shame imo to see fans just bash a captain of 7 years for us like he never did a thing for this team or his teammates.

Uprising and Houstunna like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, but the Texans have some pretty terrible fans. They'll bash a guy like Cushing because he got hurt (they've been bashing him ever since the knee injuries) but come to the defense of a guy like Duane Brown who did everything he could to hurt the team for greed and political reasons.

Uprising, DikembeOlajuwan and csj like this.
  7. tobster

tobster Member

I think Cushing's PED use has nothing to do with Brown. He wasn't cut because of Brown's antics. He wasn't cut because of injuries. He was cut because he can't perform up to the level of his contract anymore and was also caught TWICE for PED use!

Crappy situation that a guy we all believed in turned out to be a cheater. Yeah maybe we can all forgive him one day but not right now. I want him as far away from the Texans as possible. I think it would be an absolute disgrace to put him in a ring of honor next to Dre.

8. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

He was long overdue to be released , but the organization didn't see it that way ( the guy was a beast when healthy, but i think not releasing him 2-3 years ago is was causing this debate ) He should have been let go 2 years ago.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Both Brown and Cushing were caught TWICE for PED use!

That was the point.

10. donkeypunch

I dont have anything bad to say about Duane either. This league takes a lot from you and they should get every penny they are worth. I didnt like his contract hold out a bit. You shouldnt sign a contract that you dont intend to fulfill, if you dont like the terms, but I could understand on his behalf.

11. donkeypunch

We can all agree on that, but this is no debate. Some fans are petty and some fans see the value in what a certain player brought to the table each and every day.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't have anything bad to say about him if he had shown up for work and hadn't done everything in his power to harm the organization. I also think it's funny that people harp on Cushing's PED use calling him a "cheater"(in the NFL LOL) while ignoring Brown's PED use and saying "he deserved better"

It's just weird how that works.

13. tobster

tobster Member

I think you missed my point. I love reading CF and I can see how much disdain you have for Duane Brown from all your posts. I'm trying to express that there really is no difference between him and Cushing. No matter what Brown did, Cushing cheated. They are the same.

He also was not worth his contract in the end. All this BS of being a fearless leader and coming back from injuries... What good is a leader that cheats?

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Two years ago, he was still the best ILB on the team. They did it the right way, make sure younger a better replacement before letting a vet go. Cole, McKinney, And Cunningham make this transaction possible.

donkeypunch likes this.
  15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

you're letting banned substances cloud you're mind. the reality is that the entire nfl is on substances, some legal and some banned, because they're bodies cannot handle football and honestly it's not surprising. just because the elites ban certain substances and allow others doesn't define the character, leadership, value, etc... of a person/player. if cush needed illegal peds to play and earn a living while another player needed legal peds to play and earn a living, what's the difference?

csj likes this.
  16. bobrek

The difference is that one is banned and the other not. Regardless of whether or not one agrees with which chemicals should be banned, the fact that the NFL has them on their banned list should preclude players from taking them. For the most part, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt the first time, but any further instances are generally inexcusable.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

That's my point, you're judging a man based on an arbitrary made up list. More power to you but I wouldn't do that to another person.

18. bobrek

I’m judging him because he is not following the rules established by the league and collectively bargained by his player’s association. Apparently, the vast majority of his teammates and players in the league are able to follow the rules.

19. csj

csj Member

Sure, just like the rulebook precludes players from committing penalties. Your take is hysterical.

It's more accurate to say that the banned list tells the players what they should be taking and how to go about it. Cheating is pervasive in sports, coaches teach it, teams enable it. PED use is pervasive long before the professional level.

The fact that Cushing, and Brown, got caught twice doesn't say anything about their integrity but about how dumb they were in going about it. The league doesn't care about PED use beyond the relations they must maintain. They need to look good to the public and to government oversight. Behind the scenes, they work with their players on how to avoid getting caught. Sports is about playing the rules to get an edge...in literally every way.

Sorry, but the common take that PED use is an anomaly in the NFL is a real knee-slapper.

DikembeOlajuwan and donkeypunch like this.
  20. donkeypunch

Whoah, do it too hard and godell might suspend you for domestic violence/abuse. Gotta look good for the national media.

csj likes this.