1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans need a new strength and conditioning coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by theimpossibles1, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Texans need a new anti-season ending-non-contact injury coach...because ours obviously isn't cutting the mustard.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

There’s gotta be something they can do better. The frequency and severity of injuries sustained by this team on a yearly basis is baffling. WHO gets them is just the kicker, it’s always the stars.

I think I may be more disappointed about Deshaun than I was about Yao and I’m a firm believer the rockets were set to win a chip that year.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes please send them your top notch advice. very well qualified.

4. texian

texian Member

Guess so.

Who gets blamed for Watson's torn ACL at Clemson... the Texans strength and conditioning coach?

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It's not his fault. But I need someone to destroy and its going to be the S&C coach.

BigShasta and theimpossibles1 like this.
  6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Thanks for the input.. we will add them to the list.

7. theimpossibles1

@YOLO I just did a quick google search and all the experts seem to agree that strength and conditioning have a definite effect on non contact injury prevention, specifically in ACL. Would love to see some evidence for your contrary argument.

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

well then tell half of the teams that they need a new S & C coach, because at least 10 teams had a player with non-contact season-ending injuries, including Patriots with Julian Edelman (torn ACL), Vikings (Bridgewater last year and Davin Cook with also a torn ACL) Chicago (Cameron Meredith) Jacksonville (Allen Robinson), Kansas City, etc.

YOLO likes this.
  9. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I’ve been in the S&C industry for over 20 years. Most of the non-contact ACL stuff I’ve seen has to do with female athletes. Females tend to get ACL injuries because of the wider Q angle of their hip and knee. By improving hamstring as well as lateral hip strength you can help prevent knee valgus (the knee moving towards the midline of the body). From reports Watson was simply running and his knee buckled. I would guess one of 2 things:

1) he has genetically weak ACLs (given that he has torn both sides), since they use tendons to repair ACLs he should have sturdier ACLs after surgery

Or

2) he tweaked his ACL getting tackled during a game earlier this year and it just finally gave way

With regard to non contact injuries in the knee, the knee is a hinge joint meaning all it is supposed to do is flex and extend. With all the cutting and pivoting these guys do and the forces these freaky athletes can put on the their bodies it’s not surprising this stuff happens from time to time.