1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans HouseCleaning

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by msn, Dec 7, 2009.

1. msn

msn Member

OK, you're suddenly the Texans owner and you have the same financial constraints most NFL owners have.

Who is OUT?

Here's my list:

• Dunta "PayMe" Robinson - $10M flushed down the toilet. He is barely better than Faggins, with a worse attitude. B'bye, PayMe. You owe me $9.5M for SUCKING HARD.
    • Antonio Smith - what is that, $8M so he can apply no pressure to the QB, rarely affect the running game, and average like 45 penalty yards per game? What a loser. What a zero. B'bye.
    • Chris Brown - he sucks, too.
    • LaTroy Hawkins - wait wrong team. But I hate that guy.
    • Mike Shanahan - Offense, even with OD out, has too much talent to look this overmatched and outwitted week in and week out.
    • Gary Kubiak - I really, really like Gary. But this team makes too many discipline/mental/preparation errors *not* to look at him. Sorry Gary, and best of luck to you as long as you go to the NFC.

Need to look long at hard at the O-Line coach. Yes, he's this innovative coach who turned around Atlanta and Denver. But the magic just ain't happening here. And, is Duane Brown just stupid or poorly coached? Enough with the false starts already!

There's been a lot of discussion about Frank Bush and Kris Brown, but I'm not sure about those guys yet. The defense has improved--even with Dunta and Antonio sucking the oxygen out of southeast Texas. And KB has been money for 7 years.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The only people I know for sure that are leaving after this year are Dunta Robinson and Chris Brown.

I'm pretty sure that everybody else, at least as far as starters are concerned, is staying.

3. msn

msn Member

That's not the question. What would you do?

4. Landlord Landry

jacque reeves and amobi okoye. buh-bye

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Funny enough, that is what I would do, too.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you saying that cap implications be damned? Because cutting Antonio Smith could be cap poison.

Were it me, Kubiak and his whole staff is gone. I like Rick Smith, he stays. Dunta Robinson is gone. Pay Demeco and Owen Daniels whatever they want (well, within reason). Amobi Okoye is gone. Chris Brown is gone. I don't know what Slaton's contract situation is, but I guess he stays unless he's up for a big payday. We need upgrades on the O-line, but I don't know that there is anyone there I would cut unless we got a clear upgrade and someone was made redundant.

7. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

get rid of the Kicker too and the roided up punter

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rick Smith has to go along with all the coaching staff at least on the offensive side of things.

Smith/Kubiak was a package deal, and if they really want to try and reel in a big fish like Cowher, he's going to want full control.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

You don't get rid of Smith unless absolutely necessary.

The guy has been pretty good when it comes to acquiring talent.

Cowher isn't coming here... though.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'm with you msn. Except for the potential cap implication of Smith as Raven pointed out. I don't know if cutting him this year is ok or not.

Though Frank Bush might need to go, too. You continue to assemble a ton of talent on the D line and your pressure is no better than it was 5 years ago with the crap that team had? Seems like it's a coaching/scheme issue, cause the secondary isn't bad enough that they're letting go of the ball in 2 seconds.

I'm happy with Reeves, and I'm willing to give Okoye another year as he gets older.

#10 kaleidosky, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  11. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Cutting Kris Brown would be a mistake.

Looks like its full offseason mode for the Texans again.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Antonio Smith has gotten much better. If they move to a 3-4, I think he'll be fine as a 3-4 end.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Smith is a step up from Casserly who was possibly the worst GM in NFL history so that doesn't say a lot. When you look at the players he has brought in, its draft only... thats for sure. Chris Brown, Antonio Smith and Jacques Reeves are 3 FA acquisitions that have bombed big time.

They need to find somebody who can put together a defense. Stat.

14. msn

msn Member

45 penalty yards in the Indy game. more than negated whatever good he did.

Mario still constantly gets double-teamed. that tells me that none of those other d-lineman are worth even $4mill, much less 8mill.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Mario double team myth is crazy. He's not being consistently double teamed. They put help on him sure, but it isn't like they are selling out to block him.

Why has Reeves been a bust? He's been their best corner.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Antonio Smith was overpaid and everybody knew it, but he hasn't "bombed" IMO.

Jacques Reeves was brought in as a desperation move after the disaster of an off/pre-season we had at CB. (I think)

Chris Brown is a turd and needs to start a new career promoting sausages.

I want Rick to stay, no matter what new HC we bring in for 2011.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Reeves sucks. No Texans CB was more efficient than 47th overall last season, and that was none other than Fred Bennett, Reeves was listed as 48th and "average in every sense of the word"

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/pro-football/289299-top-50-cbs-nfl.html

18. msn

msn Member

I think the FA concerns are valid. I've been extremely impressed with how this regime has drafted--they've been amazing.

But their FA signings have been pedestrian at best, horrible being the best word in my book.

Yup. So it was a bad signing. Has the guy even outplayed Amobi?

Ahman Green
    Antonio Smith
    Chris Brown
    Jaque Reeves
    ...there've been more

What *good* FA signing, other than Kris Brown back in 2002, have the Texans had? I'm sure there had to have been more.

19. Landlord Landry

lol, thats like saying Delta Burke was the hottest female on Designing Women.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Matt Schaub is a Rick Smith acquisition.

Bernard Pollard, Andre Davis, Eugene Wilson, Kevin Walter too.