1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Fire Assistants

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Fantasma Negro

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Footage of Charles London:

[​IMG]

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I got an exclusive live feed of what went down.

[​IMG]

#3 DreamShook, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

John Butler over there like,"but yalls was the ones that didn't franchise tag Bouye"

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

John McCain should have a mutual parting of ways with a cheeseburger

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Seems like everyone went down with the ship except the Captain.

[​IMG]

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wes Welker is about to be defensive coordinator

ghettocheeze, BigShasta and J.R. like this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Lol or OC

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

BOB this morning,

[​IMG]

Creepy Crawl likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Behind the scenes and in NFL circles, Texans secondary coach John Butler is emerging as a well-respected coaching figure.

Along with defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel and other defensive assistants that include linebackers coach Mike Vrabel and defensive line coach Anthony Weaver, Butler is credited for being instrumental in the Texans' rise to the top-ranked defense in the NFL.

Butler interviewed for the San Francisco 49ers' defensive coordinator job this offseason, opting to stay with the Texans along with Vrabel after being pursued by 49ers coach Chip Kelly. Texans coach Bill O'Brien regards Butler, a former Penn State defensive coordinator, as a future NFL defensive coordinator and head-coaching candidate.

"John Butler is an excellent coach," O'Brien said. "John Butler, in my opinion, is destined for great things in this profession. I think he'll be a coordinator someday. I think he'll be a head football coach somewhere someday. Did a great job for us at Penn State and he's done an excellent job for us here as guys really rely on him. He's a very energetic guy.

"He's a very smart guy, very quick-minded guy. Very detail oriented and works very hard. He's in here early, stays late. Great family guy, father and husband. He does a great job all the way around."

The Texans rank second in pass defense despite injuries at cornerback to Johnathan Joseph and Kevin Johnson, allowing just 203.5 passing yards per game. The Texans and the Minnesota Vikings are the only teams that haven't allowed a 300-yard passer this season.

"I think several guys on the defensive staff have the ability to be coordinators, and I think John is definitely one who can be a coordinator, has been a coordinator," Crennel said. "He's a very hard worker, he's detailed. I think it's hard to outwork him. He's got a good football mind, makes adjustments on the sideline."

Butler was hired by O'Brien as secondary coach when he left Penn State. Butler previously had a brief offseason stint as a defensive assistant with the Texans before being hired by South Carolina to coach their special teams.

"He's a very great coach," said Joseph, a two-time Pro Bowl selection. "Coming in his first year in the NFL here, he definitely made a great transition coming from the college level, things like that. He's grown a lot over the years into one of the top position coaches in this league.

"He's able to work with young guys and get those guys caught up really quick, help them develop into players. He's very knowledgeable of the game and makes the game a lot easier for the other players around. I think every year he's just getting better and better."

A former Catholic University player and assistant who's also coached at Minnesota, Texas, Harvard, Midwestern State and Southwest Texas State, Butler, 43, is known for extensive, detailed film study and frequent meetings and providing tips to the defensive backs.

"He's helped me out a lot," said cornerback A.J. Bouye, a former undrafted free agent who's made a quantum leap of improvement this year. "Sometimes, we joke about all the meetings we have. At the end of the day, you have to appreciate it. He's always letting us know what to expect. We watch so much film. He's keeping us alert and he's helped out a lot on our techniques and studying film. It makes it easy."​

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

And Devlin still collecting direct deposit. Smh

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

It took like 5 years, but finally the texans got rid of Larry Izzo

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Gotta coach better

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Urrrhh..... He wasnt here that long. Texans signed him like a year or two ago.

Rudyc281 and J.R. like this.
  15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Doesn't matter - I'll still get a nice contract extension from Clueless Bob McNair

Signed,

Bill (I'm rich b****!) O'Brien

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Larry Izzo has only been here for 2 years. You're thinking of Joe Marciano, the ST coach before Izzo.

BigShasta and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Fire trash coaches. Hire trash coaches. The Texans Way!!!

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And extend a trash head coach.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Nook

Nook Member

Good to see he is moving up in the world.