1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Laremy Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

56.1%
  2. NO

43.9%
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I didn't like the Clowney trade but I honestly never had a problem with this trade.

The way I analyze transactions like this is to reverse-engineer them. Given where this team is right now (young stud QB leading them to the playoffs and possibly beyond), would you trade away a really good starting LT and an established WR to the Dolphins in order to get 3 future draft picks and Johnson Bademosi and Julien Davenport?

When you put it like that, it sounds ridiculous.

If Tunsil turns out to be a bookend LT for the next 10 years, no one is going to remember what we gave up to get him. I don't even remember what we gave up to get Watson. Who cares?

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

At the same time, no one will care that the Texans have a great lt if they never win anything because the rest of the roster has too many holes

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

Is an elite offensive left tackle worth two first-round picks? Genuine question.

The thing about draft picks is not only the possible talent that you may pick up but it's also the rookie contract that'll allow us to have exceptional talent at a low cost. Losing two 1st rounders can also jeopardize our cap situation.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

IMO, yes. Reason being that an elite LT is a known quantity whereas a draft pick could always be a bust. Also, keep in mind that at least next year's 1st round pick is probably going to be in the 20-30 range which will make it sting a little less.

Not saying this is an absolute slam dunk, we may miss out on drafting the next JJ Watt. But I think the odds are in our favor that this trade works out for us.

Also, at this stage of the team's development, would you trade away Kenny Stills for a late 2nd round pick? Probably not. So you have to like that part of the trade too.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I remember there was talk of Tunsil going 1st overall that year. Only reason he didnt was the weed video. IF that was the case. A LT taken first overall that is actually living up to the hype, is worth 2 firsts. I mean Khalil Mack was a top 5 pick, traded for 2 firsts, people said Clowney should have gotten to first if he lived up to the hype and we traded him at the right time. Basically, instead of 2 firsts for a 13th overall pick, I think we traded 2 firsts for a first overall pick at a position that NEVER gets traded. Its becoming more and more worth it to me. My only concern was the JD trade, wish we could have done that trade straight up along with 1 first.

raining threes and ima_drummer2k like this.
  7. pz350z

pz350z Member

Considering tunsil keeps deshaun watson from getting murdered from his blindside.
    Yes hes absolutely worth 2 first round picks if he blocks at an elite level.
    in the NFL protecting the QB comes first, losing your franchise QB usually dooms a season more often than not.

Look at Andrew Luck and the Colts as a cautionary tale.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The few games Watson played his rookie season were off the charts. He gad Duane Brown

Fulgore likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

Wrong. He only had Brown for the last game he played that season, Seattle. Brown was holding out that season because he wanted his final year guaranteed and it was the summer of the McNair "prison" comment and Brown went all SJW

raining threes and pgabriel like this.
  10. raining threes

Not having a franchise QB because you cant protect him will jeopardize your franchises future.

Blatz likes this.
  11. raining threes

Plus you get a 2020 2nd and a 2021 4th.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep the OL that year was actually terrible

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If he also makes the LG better ... yes

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Considering what the Rams gave up to get Jalen Ramsey vs what we gave up to get a player of equal standing, at a much more premium position, I think the answer is a resounding YES it was worth it.

Plus, we got a pretty good receiver.

Good trade by O'Brien.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If you think the picks we traded away were 100% going to turn into players that are better than Tunsil and Stills, you're kidding yourself. We have cap space to lock guys up. That's a known entity.

This narrative is dumb, lacks legs, and circular.

raining threes and Blatz like this.
  16. conquistador#11

I just wish EL Guapo and Fells were each 5 years younger. Holy F!

17. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Why Laremy Tunsil is the Best Left Tackle in the NFL | Baldy Breakdowns

Blatz and TheRealist137 like this.
  18. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I wish!
    It's only a 4th and a 6th.

raining threes likes this.
  19. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I don't know if the "equal standing" part is true.
    Ramsey is regarded by most as "THE" best corner in the league (although Gilmore is great also imo), whereas Tunsil was never spoken of quite that highly, although he seems to be getting better and better as he gets more acclimated here.
    Baldy is loving him some Tunsil as well!

As long as we finish in the playoffs both years it will definitely be worth it as the picks will be in the middle to lower 20's (maybe even 32 :)).
    It worries me just as it did when we traded for Deshaun because that year we had the league's hardest SOS that year and gave the browns a really high 1st (#4 iirc or was it #8).
    We have a similarly tough schedule this year but it's looking good so far.
    But I'd HATE to give up 1 or more top-5 picks in case of disaster.

The Ramsey trade may turn out to actually be not enough picks if the rams make the playoffs both years for the reason I just stated.
    I'm just glad he didn't go to the chiefs!

I initially didn't like the Tunsil trade because of the cost but am now slightly happy and trending upwards.
    Of course playing "what if" we could wonder if Gaine had ponied up the 3rd for Dillard then would the jags have accepted 2 1st's from us for Ramsey?
    Dillard AND Ramsey!!!

20. raining threes

You're not really much of a risk taker are you?

Baldy's review and the OL play as a whole makes the trade worth it, even if Stills, a 4th and a 6th weren't involved.