1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Laremy Tunsil

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

56.1%
  2. NO

43.9%
  1. Nook

Nook Member

How much of it is the dated play calling? How much of it is the predictable play calling? How much of it is an inconsistent offensive line? How much of it is an inconsistent running game?

Rudyc281, FLASH21 and Sooty like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Duane Brown says hello.

dmoneybangbang, Sooty and Hey Now! like this.
  3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

How much, sure - the *when* is important, too. The Oilers dumped high picks (several eventual Hall of Famers) into their OL and it took years to reap the rewards.

Well, it's not a very fair comparison since few - if any teams - have had the same 1-5 need the Texans have. But given teams generally carry 7-8 OL, I would bet more draft capital is spent on OL than you realize.

Laremy Tunsil has been in the building *a month.* Literally 30 days as of today. Howard and Schrapling's tenures would also be measured in months, not years.

I think they should eventually be good, yes. But it also looks all the world like this normal learning curve is being greatly affected by having to learn specifically how to block for Deshaun Watson, which is, as was detailed in that terrific Ringer piece, uniquely challenging. I'm willing to give them more than, you know, four games together before judging them.

I'd also add... no excuse - but they've played three *very* good defenses (and LA has a very good front) - did you see your vaunted Cowboys running the Saints off the field Sunday night? No, you didn't. They struggled with New Orleans; Elliot had 35 yards.

Again, you're trying to unfairly draw a straight line. 2016 was Tyron Smith's sixth season; Frederick's fourth season; Martin's third season. During that stretch, the three of them collected 7 All-Pro selections. And, oh, yeah - they added Ezekiel Elliot to their backfield in 2016. For the record, that '16 Cowboy OL had 3 #1s & #4. Leary was undrafted - but only because of injury concerns; graded as a 3rd rounder. Collins was also undrafted because he was linked to a murder; graded as high as top 10 prospect.

Right now, their OL is 3 #1s, #2 and a highly-rated #1 prospect that fell due to off-field issues - essentially, 4 #1s + #2.

The Texans are not starting with that as their foundation, and it's totally disingenuous to just blow that off.

The standard should be better than last year with steady improvement as the season progresses; it should not be the best offensive line in football that was constructed from multiple first rounds over a four-year stretch. That's just not tethered to reality. *Most* teams are like the Texans - they throw picks and/or money at it and hope it works. The Browns have done it; the Jags have done it; the Titans have done it...

Using the Cowboys' OL - and dismissing *all* of the advantages they've had - is like being angry your head coach isn't as good as Bill Belichick. It's just not remotely realistic.

sammy likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

That was Bob McNair....ordering Rick Smith to trade Brown. He is dead.

raining threes and sammy like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think the Hopkins pass is a microcosm of the team's offensive issues.

It was an indefensibly dumb play call - but not because it was poorly-designed. It was actually rather clever and if Hopkins had any degree of skill/experience, likely would've seen Akins running wide open in the middle of the end zone for an easy 6. But Hopkins doesn't and that's on BO'B for putting him in that position. It's also on BO'B for inexplicably taking the ball out of the hands of his best offensive playmaker in an obviously tightly-contested game in which points were going to be at a premium. You don't squander opportunities like that by getting cute and he deserves all the available derision for doing so. (Having said that, I'd argue one of the reasons guys seem to genuinely like playing for BO'B is likely his willingness to do stuff like this, or the Watt/TE plays, etc. But, man - time and place...)

But we can't just point the finger at BO'B, because as bad as the call was, Hopkins not recognizing the play being blown to smithereens - something, to his credit, Watson saw right away - is on Hopkins. Watson explained the play and once what they *thought* would happen didn't, Hopkins needed to swallow it. He didn't.

And there's this: the Panthers simply outmaneuvered the Texans, which... sometimes happens and it's not really anyone's fault. Riveria said they saw the play on last year's tape; I don't ever remember the Texans running that play - but... they absolutely sniffed it out. Again - bad decision, and all - but let's credit Carolina for finding and preparing for it. The other team is part of this equation and sometimes - even with your best effort - they're going to be better, and boy... do fans struggle with this one.

Anyway... TL/DR: We know this offense works because we've seen this offense work. I don't think the system or scheme are the problem and I don't think the play calls are specifically the problem. I think it's a combination of bad decisions, bad execution and sometimes being the lesser of two good teams.

rusHour likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

JayGoogle and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

No. That was Duane Brown holding out...he could have played the season and he probably would have gotten more money with the Texans than the Seahawks.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don’t forget that BoB installed a whole new scheme for DW4 before last season. Believe we've now gone from the #1 offense in 2017 (for that 7 game span), to #15 last season, and now ranked #22 in total offense. I would say it's a culmination of things but the play calling and in-game adjustments are a big issue IMO.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I am trying really hard not to pile on... but that is consistent with what Hub told me last season. He said that around the league in coaching circles, the belief was that Texans staff was not properly coaching, scheming or developing Watson.... I am critical of this group of decision makers for the Texans but I pushed back against Hub on that point, but now I really wonder.

tmoney1101 and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Star linemen getting traded is a rare event, especially OTs.

When they do get traded it's typically because of a contract dispute or a Tunsil style firesale.

Brown getting shipped out because of sore feelings and hurt peepees about politics was so stupid.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  11. gucci888

I would say most trades involving star players have some type of dispute or firesale behind it. Clowney, OBJ, Tunsil, Fitzpatrick, Mack, Cooper, etc...
    But Jason Peters, Eugene Monroe, Max Unger, Duane Brown, Cordy Glenn, Kevin Zeitler, Laremy Tunsil all traded in somewhat recent memory.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The coaching staff can't figure out how to challenge a play. They either use 2 timeouts somehow (seriously, has that ever happened before?) or challenge the dumbest most obvious "that wont be reversed" calls in history.

So of course, they aren't developing DW properly.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Peters was dealt for a #1 and a #6
    Monroe was dealt for a #4 and #5
    Unger and a #1 were dealt for Graham
    Brown was dealt for a #2 and #5
    Glenn was traded for moving up in the draft
    Zeitler was traded for Vernon.
    Mack was traded for 2 #1's and #3 and #6......... Bears also got back a #2 and #5

None of them were dealt for anything close to what the Texans traded for Tunsil except Mack.

I would say the Peters and Unger deals were the closest.

The Cowboys did sent a first for Cooper....

14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

1/4 of the season has gone by already... and you're telling me the jury is still out on this trade?

We all know BOB will keep peddling his "wait and see" excuse right up until week 17, but Watson has been sacked 18 times already! When is the "gelling" going to happen for this offensive line? When Watson is broken down like Andrew Luck?

This trade disgusts me every passing day. God help Watson!

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How many were a 24 year old LT on his rookie contract? That is where the value is. Texans would have given up as much if Clowney would have gone there. But it is what it is....

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Peters was a multiple time Pro Bowl left tackle that had just turned 27 years old but that was also a deal that happened a decade ago.

17. gucci888

Oh for sure. Just pointing out that good OTs get traded more often then some are letting on. When you’re in the position we were in, we had no choice but to overpay.

raining threes, Nimo and Nook like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yea so...yea...the line isn't the big issue everyone is making it out to be.

As I said, you can't say Watson takes too long to throw then turn around and crap on the oline.

BOB and Watson have to figure out a way to get the ball out quicker or teams will continue to pressure him because there's not much risk to it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Yea.... maybe doing more of what Watson has had success at would be prudent....

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Keep investing in the o-line....Brandon Scherff is going to be a FA and him and Washington are far apart in contract talks.