1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terror attack on London Bridge June 3 2017

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jun 3, 2017.

1. TheresTheDagger

Of course the buck lies with the Mayor when it comes to the safety of Londoners! It's not like Terrorism just suddenly sprouted up yesterday. They have been dealing with it for decades.

If the issue of keeping his citizenry safe is a budgetary issue, why wasn't he screaming about that at the top of his lungs prior to the attack? Surely he could have found time to ask for additional funding prior to the attack right?

EXACTLY! Why wasn't this "budget issue" being addressed loud and clear by the mayor if that's truly the case.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Again, that's just unreasonable. He has only been mayor for as long as Trump has been president. And you do realize mayors don't have carte blance rule over budgetary issues?

I'm done arguing with you when you constantly keep moving the goal posts about this topic. Hindsight is always 20/20 and making unreasonable requests of a new mayor is just silly. I wonder what outrageous expectations you had of Rudy Giuliani after 9/11.

There will be more terrorist attacks in London just like there will be more terrorist attacks on US soil and people will inevitably have to blame someone.

3. TheresTheDagger

Giuliani prior to 9/11 never made the statement "Living with terrorism is part and parcel of living in a big city".

That comment makes me think his mindset is one of surrender to the inevitability of terrorism, unlike Giuliani.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you don't understand the English psyche at all?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiff_upper_lip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On

That quote is the most fundamentally British response to the terror attacks that I can imagine.

I'd have loved to seen your response to the Ministry of Information's "Keep Calm and Cary On" campaign in 1939, talking about how the British had given up and were just waiting for their new Nazi masters to invade.

#464 Ottomaton, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  5. TheresTheDagger

What?

You do understand who was running the English government in 1939 right? Chamberlain the appeaser. It wasn't until Churchill took over in 1940 after those failures that we saw the "Bulldog" approach that carried through Britain to final victory. And Churchill never said anything close to Khan's stupid comment. He never said anything about having to accept german terrorism. This is what he said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_shall_fight_on_the_beaches

https://www.nationalchurchillmuseum.org/never-give-in-never-never-never.html

You're asking ME who understands the English psyche?

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't think you understand British stoicism at all. I'm reasonably certain "stiff upper lip" was co-opted as a phrase describing the British ideal of dignified perseverance in the face of adversity before Winston Churchill was born.

Also, I'm pretty sure Chamberlain wasn't a member of the Ministry of Information and had nothing to do with the coining of the phrase, "Keep Calm and Cary On".

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry but your post full of BS. I don't know any other way to put it. The mayor has many responsibilities but tracking terrorists are primarily at the hands of national authorities, and his role is secondary. Going after him about it is missing the mark and counter-productive.

Where did I say 7 dead were okay in my book? Why would you say something so ridiculous? Seriously why? I posted at the beginning of this thread that was a horrible tragedy and awful thing to happen. Many of my other posts have been about preventing future tragedies such as this. Nowhere did I suggest that it was okay to lose 7 people at the hands of these terrorists. It's kind of a jerk move to infer that I think it's okay.

You are the person who brought up Islamaphobia. I never even mentioned or accused anybody of that. You brought it up out of the blue. I don't know what issues you have with that, but there is no need to insert them into a conversation where they didn't exist until you brought it up.

Do we need to go over the different meanings and contexts with the word "attack"? You understand multiple meaning words, correct? You understand that words like "attack" and "fight" can have different meanings when used in different contexts?

You keep going on about prioritizing money. As was covered in the interview with the mayor, he doesn't control most of the budget. It's done at the national level. So if you are upset about the spending priorities, you should go after the national authorities, not the Mayor of London. It's just stupid. It wasn't the doing it the Mayor's way that cost 7 lives. Get a grip, and quit blaming him, or saying it was done his way and my way. That's silliness.

It's like after the Rockets game six vs San Antonio turned out the way it turned out, then, you spend the next two days after game attacking Troy Williams for the loss. Because Troy Williams has about as much to do with that loss, as the Mayor of London had to do with the terrorist attack. Yes, the Mayor of London does control a small percentage of law enforcement budget in that city, and yes, Troy Williams was a part of the team that played in game 6 Vs. San Antonio, but neither are major factors in the incidents that happened.

The one difference is that Mayor of London does play a huge role in dealing with the aftermath of the attack, and that's where his priorities should be, and not dealing with lame interviewers who can't distinguish the respective dutites in dealing with a terrorist threat between the national and local levels.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Don't let London become Baghdad - where there's a major suicide attack every week.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If there was a weekly suicide attack in London it would still be emperically safer than many major US cities.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You have posted a completely different part of a press conference. It was not a speech, he was answering questions. The answer you posted is different from the answer I posted because they were different answers. Not sure how many times it will take before you understand this. Do you understand now?

Getting words wrong does make communication difficult as does being so lazy as to not even bother watching the press conference, and being influenced by idiots claiming Sadiq never said the things he said. Quoting a person and using ellipses to indicate they were phrases taken from a longer answer is 100% honest.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You posted wrong quotations and lied about it because you have been riding Trump's tip way too hard and you are copying his behavior. Your fake quotes become fake news once they get recognized by google. Have some self-respect, admit your failure, and start rebuilding your credibility on this board.

12. Bandwagoner

False. He said everything I posted. They aren't fake. Watch the video and will will realize that. Or just screech about it whilst talking about how smart and credible you are lol.

13. dmoneybangbang

Lol. How many times have I asked you to post the video or what exactly you are referring to. You keep coming up with these long winded explanations but no evidence.

I even put your entire replies into a reply to show how you kept moving the goal posts.

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Everyone else in the thread can judge whether or not you are a liar. I'm fine with that.

15. dmoneybangbang

Lol. Post the video. We can get to the bottom of this.

16. Bandwagoner

What is the point of posting a video? There has to be a point. You have been to lazy to search for it, dandorotik was too dumb to know it wasn't one from from two weeks ago, sir-sexpat was too dumb to know I'm not dandorotik.

I will post the video if you agree that you will watch it and if he says every thing I quoted him as, you will apologize for being a dumbass. And admit the quote you posted is a completely different one than I did.

17. Bandwagoner

So I ask again, you think I made those quotes up like siur-sexpat obviously does correct. You have been unwilling to admit that just saying you dislike that I selectively quoted. If I made up quotes (the video disproves this) you would have evidence I lied. Quotes with ellipses isn't a lie, you called me a liar, so say what you think here clearly.

18. dmoneybangbang

I think you left out context.

19. dmoneybangbang

Lets do it.

20. Bandwagoner

I think I included more context of saying a bunch of alarming things and then saying to not be alarmed in the same press conference. Now explain how that genuine difference of opinion in your brain means I am a liar.