1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Taxes] Raising the Federal Gas Tax

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 9, 2015.

?

What should be done about the federal gas tax?

1. Increase the tax

46.7%
  2. Keep the tax the same

26.7%
  3. Reduce the tax

26.7%
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The federal gasoline tax has not been changed since 1997. States are able to raise gas taxes, and in parts of 2008-2009 Alaska repealed the gas tax.

Link to state and federal tax amounts: http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/marketing/monthly/pdf/mgt.pdf

Discussion about the gas tax usually brings up the 'crumbling' infrastructure problems and who benefits (poor vs rich). Also, there tend to be crazy ideas (as in this will never get done). In the 1980 presidential election, Anderson suggested doubling the gas tax and halving the Social Security tax. The ideas lives on with Charles Krauthammer:

Let Clutchfans decide: Raise, keep it the same or reduce the gas tax.

2. Major

Major Member

The gas tax, like minimum wage and everything else in government policy, should be auto-inflation-adjusted. This idea that we set flat dollar amounts for things when we know the dollar value will change over time is silly.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

you left off the repeal option

Americans incomes haven't improved in decades. They finally get some relief at the pump and politicians swarm on their income like locusts.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hell, the Texas gas tax should be raised. I believe we have one of the lowest rates in the country, unchanged for a very long time.

5. Major

Major Member

Aren't gas taxes - aka, user fees - exactly how libertarians think we should be taxed? You are taxed based on the resources you use. I would think you would champion those taxes over income taxes and the like.

6. MexAmercnMoose

I work in the transportation/infrastructure industry...there are a lot of bad bridges out there, especially in the Northeast...the gas tax needs to go up.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Very good point. I can Agree with this

It's not that I don't like paying taxes
    I just don't trust that the money will go where needed
    I think after the hikes. . .those bridges will still be bad
    but we will have another LOOP of TOLLWAYS
    [Take this money to make more money . . WWWOOOOO , ,. . GRAND PARKWAY!!]

Rocket River

8. body slam

body slam Member

Did a google search on the amount of gas used in the United State in a day and this came up.

In 2013, about 134.51 billion gallons1 (or 3.20 billion barrels) of gasoline were consumed2 in the United States, a daily average of about 368.51 million gallons (or 8.77 million barrels).

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you've ever driven on an interstate, known anyone who has, or consumed or purchased any item that has reached you via the interstate highway system - you're a beneficiary of the gas tax.

So yeah, let's repeal the gas tax and get rid of roads because you know what screw your big government roads.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

in place of, and at lower rates

not in addition to

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The federal government should just sponsor a bake sale to pay for the roads.