1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tal's Hill gone in 2016, CF fences to be moved in

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jun 4, 2015.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I've had that one and it wasn't anything special. I think it ends up too soggy and it's mostly mashed potatoes with a sprinkle of chicken.

2. Buck Turgidson

Not something I'd ever order at a ballpark anyway. I'm a hotdog, peanuts & beer guy. Speaking of, what's the hotdog/brat situation like at MMP? Anything noteworthy?

For Coors Field it was Rocky Mountain oysters.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Harris County Houston Sports Authority directors approved plans Thursday for a $25 million renovation at Minute Maid Park, to be paid for by the Astros, that will include a new club for season ticket holders on the stadium’s suite level and changes in the right field corner resembling the recent center field renovations, including another open-access staircase between stadium levels.

Reid Ryan, the team’s president for business operations, said the renovations will take place alongside previously announced plans to renovate the suite level, which has not been substantially changed since the stadium opened in 2000.

While some details remain to be finalized, Ryan said the renovations will result in a reduction to Minute Maid’s total seating capacity.

The season ticket membership club will be located in an area now occupied by six suites on the third base side of the ballpark near the scoreboard control room. It initially will be open to season ticket holders who purchase a membership and will include table and high top seating with food and drink service.

The right field upgrades, which will result in the removal of some second deck seats, will include what Ryan described as premium food and bar service and a staircase that will include standing room space, similar to the center field area that was renovated in 2018.

Kenny Friedman, chairman of the sports authority, said Thursday’s vote was in keeping with past instances when the Astros have sought permission to make changes to the publicly owned stadium.

“We at the sports authority are happy that they are such great stewards of our stadium,” Friedman said. “They have done an outstanding job of maintaining and keeping it state of the art.. Were proud of the stadium and proud of our tenants.”

4. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

The suites over there are no big loss, empty most of the time, more connections between Mezzanine and rest of ballpark will be convenient.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Best stadium in Houston (despite being the oldest).

Best ballpark in baseball... about to be copied by Arlington next year.

dmoneybangbang and MadMax like this.
  6. plee

plee Member

Even the Rangers fans know it's a copy...

vince likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The new center field are sure as hell does generate traffic. Every game I've been to it was packed.

Torchy's is absurdly overpriced, even moreso than usual stadium prices. Still it always has a line anyway.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Will the seat reductions just be in the suite level? I couldn't tell from the article.

I love the fact they keep tweaking it to make improvements. Such a great place to watch a baseball game.

vince and SWTsig like this.
  9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Rice's Reckling Park is the best stadium in Houston.

For as much as I love the Astros, the best ballpark in baseball is definitely not Minute Maid. It's too gimmicky and I'm not a fan of indoor baseball, or restricted view baseball (retractable roof with roof open). Fenway and Wrigley are in a league of their own for historical character, and then after that, I'd say the contenders are Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and San Francisco.

GOOD DAY

Houstunna and donkeypunch like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I love this. I've always liked Crawford Boxes, right field seats around bullpen, and third base line. Makes it easier for me to be where I want to be to watch game, and let's people socialize about other things in another place.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Camden Yards is going on what, 30 years, and still in the top 5, which is kind of crazy for a stadium starting a major trend. But have to admit, even with a terrible team, it's a great overall experience inside and outside of the stadium.

12. msn

msn Member

Those are some beautiful ballparks. The BUS may not be on their tier, but I don't share your negative view of it. It's a beautiful park.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sorry, best professional stadium. I could show you some little league fields that are even more charming than Reckling Park...

I guess in regards to "best stadium in baseball" classification, I'm taking into account all the factors. Yes, you have to have a roof in Houston during the oppressive summer months. Too bad the idiots in southern Oklahoma couldn't foresee that. Given that, they built the type of retractable roof that still allows aesthetics and natural light to be maintained... whoever thought up the glass wall (that can withstand hurricane winds) was a genius. Being able to watch a game in comfortable 72 degree weather, but it doesn't feel completely "indoors" (like it does in other retractable roof parks - Toronto, Arizona, Milwaukee) is as great of a hybrid model as there is in a city where pure outdoor baseball is not an option.

Then, you factor in amenities and luxuries that you can really only have in an indoor stadium, and that nudges it ahead of a lot of the outdoor parks (in addition to the fact that those places still deal with endless/frequent rain delays).

Sight lines in MMP are perfect all the way around.... not totally the case in upper deck San Fran. PNC was nice when I visited.. but weather was a factor. Yes, Baltimore gets commended for being the original that set off this whole wave of park design... but its dated in its technology and overall amenities.

I suppose Arlington has a chance of copying everything and making it "better"... and then they're going to try to usurp the title... which is probably why the front office will continue to add bits/pieces to keep things up to par.

Its a 20 year old stadium now... doesn't look it at all (as opposed to Toyota center and NRG that are already seemingly dated).

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Easy to say when you’re not watching 3.5 hours baseball game in 100+ degrees temperature between June and September!!! I like to see you go watch a baseball game at Reckling Park in the summer. Oh wait, college baseball don’t play in the summer.

bobloblaw and vince like this.
  15. tigereye

tigereye Member

Based on the wording, it sounds like an extension of the CF area to the right field second deck.

Hopefully we’re getting rooftop bars in right like at Coors.

[​IMG]

16. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Has anyone heard anything about extending the nets for next year yet?

17. tigereye

tigereye Member

Actually considering the $25 million budget, the right field renovation at Minute Maid Park probably won’t be that extensive. Could be more like the Chop House at Sun Trust Field in Atlanta. No major modifications needed to the second deck, just remove seats and replace with bar seating with table tops

[​IMG]

18. SemisolidSnake

Growing up in the Dome, I resisted the mere idea of MMP, but it was the view that won me over the first time I visited. Our first game there we sat in the upper deck right behind home plate, because those were affordable tickets (and still are.) We always sit there now, because it offers such a great view. You feel surprisingly close to everything on the field even from there, and you can get get a full view of just about everything except the inside of the dugouts. I've sat other places, and, yeah, you have great sight lines as well. It's amazing how close you feel to everything, especially compared to the Dome where you felt like you were in another city if you didn't sit in field box.

Toyota Center may be the most bland sports venue I've ever been to. And they really up the blandness on the inside with the crampedness and the decor and the food. I miss the the Summit.

NRG also seems like one of the dumbest stadiums out there in my few times I've been there. Most uninspired, ugly retractable roof I've seen. Should've just saved a hundred mil or two and just made it completely enclosed. The fact that fans want the roof closed, so it's louder just adds to the stupidity of the whole thing.

TL:DR: MMP is a gem.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

#359 J.R., Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Jake Tower likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Smart and good decision. I sat in 109 Tuesday night and would not have been protected by any lined shots that way...

conquistador#11 likes this.